No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velocity. My first Koontz! (somehow I just never got around to reading anything of his, until now)

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
      Velocity. My first Koontz!
      '

I've read it, but with practically all of Koontz's books - totally forgot what it was about.

sk

Comment

Am continuing on a bit of a non-horror detour at present. Currently reading Michael Marshall's Killer Move. As with his Straw Men books (this is not one of them) the reader starts out just as confused as the characters of the story. Gradually links are made and seemingly unrelated bits and pieces knit together to make for an excellent story. Thoroughly enjoy MM's writing although this one was a little harder to get into as felt that (one of) the main characters was pretty unsympathetic. Interesting how that changes over the course of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          I know I probably shouldn't go there, but ...
          No, I'll just shut up..

sk
          No, please go there!! I'm already guessing you think I shouldn't care about his politics, and just read the book or skip the political crap, right? LOL. I don't want to start with a bunch of posts on politics again, but I don't understand why liberals find it so necessary to include their views in a book. Well, it was non-fiction, so that's ok. But I don't like to read right-wing stuff or left-wing stuff when I'm reading a book or listening to music. I just want to enjoy whatever it may be and not become annoyed with a bunch of political stuff. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
            '

I've read it, but with practically all of Koontz's books - totally forgot what it was about.

sk
            That's true with me to a certain extent also, but King stuff I never seem to forget or Ketchum either. But there is one Koontz book I would like to know the title of because I actually do remember the story, even though it's probably been at least a decade since I read it. I'd like to read it again actually. Someone here has to know what it is: there are two boys involved in the story. Well, I guess I don't remember the whole story lol, but I'm almost sure they were teens and best friends. Was it Lightning??
            By the way, Methods of Madness was great! I really liked that one and it was the best Garton book I've ever read. It didn't hurt they were short stories which I prefer....tend to get bored reading an entire novel, but just like with King's FDNS, I was able to get into that one and finish it even though I suppose those stories are considered novellas. Of all those types of books by King, I still think Four Past Midnight is his best.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
              I just want to enjoy whatever it may be and not become annoyed with a bunch of political stuff. What's wrong with that?
              I would agree with you personally for the most part. I own the Stephen King non-fiction book myself, but haven't read anything from it. Might read bits and pieces, but not sure I'll read the whole thing. Got mine in a grab bag, didn't buy it on its own
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                I would agree with you personally for the most part. I own the Stephen King non-fiction book myself, but haven't read anything from it. Might read bits and pieces, but not sure I'll read the whole thing. Got mine in a grab bag, didn't buy it on its own
                Thanks. It's nice to know someone agrees with me on this issue.....but "for the most part" scares me a lil lol. There's really not too much of the lib stuff in that book, but there was enough that I got kinda tired of the book. I don't recall any political stuff in Danse Macabre, but it's been many years since I read that so I may have forgotten.
                Also, I don't care for how the book is laid out; Danse Macabre was much better in that respect as well.

Comment

lol, for the most part just means that it depends on how much of it there is or if it is something that is attacking people on the other side of their views. Unfortunately that is what most of the political crap is these days on both sides. It also depends on if it seems to be pushing their views down my throat, which, again, both sides are guilty of. My preference for political stuff is the stuff on tv dedicated to it though, as I actually do get into politics (but would likely never try to run for office as both sides would find reasons to hate me, lol).
                  Spoiler!

Comment

Yeah, but I don't know too many conservative authors, singers or movie makers trying to push their views down people's throats like the other side does constantly. Maybe I'm trying to do that just by typing this. But I better shut-up about all this or I'll just piss some people off again lol, and just keep going and going and going with it. But the last thing I will say that if I did know a right-winger who did that, I'd say so (just to try and be honest about it despite my admitted bias).

One more thing: Please, no one reply to this specific post or I won't be able to contain myself and just keep rambling on like I said above

Comment

Yea guys, best to avoid acutually political discussion on here. It's against the rules, as it just ends in arguments that get out of hand.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Yeah. Well, I didn't know it was against the rules but no more political comments from me. Besides, virtually everyone on here knows what I think anyway.

Comment

No, please go there!! I'm already guessing you think I shouldn't care about his politics, and just read the book or skip the political crap, right? LOL. I don't want to start with a bunch of posts on politics again, but I don't understand why liberals find it so necessary to include their views in a book. Well, it was non-fiction, so that's ok. But I don't like to read right-wing stuff or left-wing stuff when I'm reading a book or listening to music. I just want to enjoy whatever it may be and not become annoyed with a bunch of political stuff. What's wrong with that?
                          I've read the book (you're talking Danse Macabre, right?) only once, when it first came out; I don't remember any political stuff, only King's thoughts on his infuences, like movies and books. Time for a re-read!! As for why some people find it necessary to include their views in a book, let me quote one of my favorite (movie) lines ever: People are their principles. And isn't it a healthy thing to be politically different from each other? I'd hate it if we'd all be the same. It's our differences that shape us, make us who we are. Getting along in spite of these differences, that's the stuff life is made of.

sk

Comment

Thanks. It's nice to know someone agrees with me on this issue.....but "for the most part" scares me a lil lol. There's really not too much of the lib stuff in that book, but there was enough that I got kinda tired of the book. I don't recall any political stuff in Danse Macabre, but it's been many years since I read that so I may have forgotten.
                            Also, I don't care for how the book is laid out; Danse Macabre was much better in that respect as well.
                            Ahh, so we weren't talking about Danse Macabre. Then it must have been On Writing. Political stuff in On Writing?? Time for another re-read....

But, I can't help myself from asking, why does "for the most part" scare you (tongue in cheek???)? That remark scares me a lot (no tongue in cheek!).

sk

Comment

Hope my above remarks aren't against the rules...'

sk

Comment

Actually the book talked about was Stephen King: The Non-fiction

I haven't read any non-fiction by King or about King yet myself, still need to do that at some point
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X