What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    I'll redirect this thread and offer for sale Finch: Heretic edition by Jeff VanderMeer to anyone interested.

Cap
    I sent you a PM

Comment

I just finished reading King's Elevation which is a decidedly non-horror story, so I was wondering why he would release it for Halloween but then I realised he wanted to make sure his political message was out in time for the mid-terms. Why can't authors realise we're not interested in their politics.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonUK View Post
        Why can't authors realise we're not interested in their politics.
        Amen, and King is one of the more vocal and caustic of the bunch. While I know he obviously won't be impacted by my now being very judicious in choosing what new books of his to buy, it's a filter that works well for me (and increasingly saves me a bit of $$ as well).
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Why can't authors realise we're not interested in their politics.
          Absolutely disagree with this sentiment. Authors are people and they have just as much of a right to have opinions as anyone else does. I hate the whole "stick to sports/books/tv/movies/comics" trope that people try to push.

Back to the thread . . .

I'm hoping to finish the second book in Liu Cixin's Remembrance of Earth's Past The Dark Forest tonight so I can start of Senlin Ascends (first of the Books of Babel from Josiah Bancroft.

Comment

Finished Psycho today. Liked the movie and loved the book. Much more depth of character.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              Absolutely disagree with this sentiment. Authors are people and they have just as much of a right to have opinions as anyone else does. I hate the whole "stick to sports/books/tv/movies/comics" trope that people try to push.
              Not to speak for Jason, but neither he nor I were suggesting that they don’t have the right to their opinion nor the right to express it however they wish — to friends or publicly, in interviews or in their work. But in the same way, we as consumers have the right to not listen to it...so given that fiction/genre authors are fundamentally entertainers whose livelihoods depend on their ability to entertain and please their audience, perhaps they should consider what infusing non-entertaining, devisive political commentary (subtle and overt alike) into their work might do to their bottom line in the long run, especially those authors who aren’t pop-culture phenoms like King.

But of course they’re welcome to keep it up...capitalism rocks and tends to sort these things out.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Not to speak for Jason, but neither he nor I were suggesting that they don’t have the right to their opinion nor the right to express it however they wish — to friends or publicly, in interviews or in their work. But in the same way, we as consumers have the right to not listen to it...so given that fiction/genre authors are fundamentally entertainers whose livelihoods depend on their ability to entertain and please their audience, perhaps they should consider what infusing non-entertaining, devisive political commentary (subtle and overt alike) into their work might do to their bottom line in the long run, especially those authors who aren’t pop-culture phenoms like King.

But of course they’re welcome to keep it up...capitalism rocks and tends to sort these things out.
                I agree. I don't mind a little of their view in a book it's when it takes over that I have an issue. I was working at Farm Aid a few years ago when it was here in Saratoga and Neil Young was in a political cranky mood and he really brought the show down. You expect that kind of thing at an event like Farm Aid but it was really off putting to a large part of the crowd and I thought we were going to have problems. Luckily we didn't.

Now back to the thread.. I just started Elevation and I don't see it as political as the reviews were making it out to be.
                It's not his best book but it's not the Tommyknockers which to me is one of his worst books in my opinion. I like the story so far

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

As Ron rightly says, I'm not questioning King's right to express his opinion, I don't understand why he would want to. What possible positive outcome does he expect to come from it. Does he really think his reputation as a once-great author is going to sway people's political convictions. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

As Ron rightly says, I'm not questioning King's right to express his opinion, I don't understand why he would want to. What possible positive outcome does he expect to come from it. Does he really think his reputation as a once-great author is going to sway people's political convictions. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
                    I disagree with you on the once-great author comment. In fact I really don't see why in the reviews I read where political view point was a big issue that it was an issue at all. I'm on chapter 4 a little over half way through and it doesn't seem very political at all. I'm kind of glad though that that issue was a big part of some reviews of I might not have questioned it and not read this till early next year. This is a great little story so far.

Comment

Just finished WE SOLD OUR SOULS by Grady Hendrix. A solid read but not as engaging as his last two novels. Also finished off 100 FATHOMS BELOW by Steven L. Kent & Nicholas Kaufmann. This one was a quick fun read. Vampires on a US nuclear sub in the midst of the cold war of 1983. Sounds a little cheesy but it works really well. About halfway through with THE RECKONING by John Grisham.

Jim

Comment

Finished Elevation this morning. 4 stars from me. After reading this it was obvious that people were definitely reading too much into this story. Nothing political about it. The story was predictable but still a very enjoyable read.

Now on to Lost and Lonely by Brian James Freeman and Surrounded by Bastards by Bryan Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Jargendeli View Post
                          Just finished WE SOLD OUR SOULS by Grady Hendrix. A solid read but not as engaging as his last two novels. Also finished off 100 FATHOMS BELOW by Steven L. Kent & Nicholas Kaufmann. This one was a quick fun read. Vampires on a US nuclear sub in the midst of the cold war of 1983. Sounds a little cheesy but it works really well. About halfway through with THE RECKONING by John Grisham.

Jim
                          Welcome to the forum!

Grishman - I haven't read anything from him in years. My grandmother introduced me to him - I believe it was when The Client came out.

Nothing cheesy about vampries on a submarine - they never have to worry about the sun!

Comment

Just finished Cold Iron, Miles Cameron, the first book in the Masters and Mages trilogy. I really enjoyed it. Cameron is a great storyteller, world builder. I've enjoyed all of his books. If you like epic fantasy, I know, not you Ron LOL, this might be up your alley!!

Comment

Finished the third story in Joe Hill's novella collection, Strange Weather, this morning. So far I'd say one really good story and two OK stories. Hoping the last story elevates this above just being an average collection.

B

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                                If you like epic fantasy, I know, not you Ron LOL,

Yeah, I don’t get the appeal, but I sure seem to be increasingly in the minority...some series really seem to be hot these days (and collectible, with hot resale prices to match).

Comment

Working...
                                X