Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed Doctor Sleep. Lot of folks seem to not like that book either but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's like if the masses hate it, I'll love it. And vice-versa. I haven't heard a whole lot of praise for either SB or Gwendy's. But I'll give 'em both a fair listen before I pass judgment for myself.

    So do you think King is kinda phoning it in of late, HB?

    I'm not sure if I'd say that. I still enjoy his writing and most books have plenty of good stuff in them. It's just that when I look back on those titles, not too many of them say "Read me again!" like the earlier ones do. Now that might be a bit of nostalgia on my part, but it seemed to me that those early novels were based on BIG ideas and themes.

    It might be why the novellas and short story collections tend to be my preferred amongst his later works. No need to write a 500 page novel - just as many pages as the story requires to be told well.

    Returning to another of the topics in this thread. As I have been listening to Swan Song, I'm reminded of one of the post nuclear apocalypse novels I read when I was young. James Herbert's Domain. Even though it was the third part of the trilogy, it introduced the post nuclear setting to me. As far as I can remember.

    Comment


      I finished The Colorado Kid by Stephen King-I thought it was excellent. Now I've started Swift, Silent, and Deadly: Marine Amphibious Reconnaissance in the Pacific, 1942-1945 by Bruce F. Meyers.


      Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

      Comment


        Originally posted by HumphreyBear[/QUOTE

        Returning to another of the topics in this thread. As I have been listening to Swan Song, I'm reminded of one of the post nuclear apocalypse novels I read when I was young. James Herbert's Domain. Even though it was the third part of the trilogy, it introduced the post nuclear setting to me. As far as I can remember.
        DOMAIN is a lot of fun and doesn't seem to get the attention it arguably deserves.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

        Comment


          Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I couldn't finish Mad Dogs.But I loved I'll Bring You the Birds From Out of the Sky.
          I had a nearly opposite reaction. I enjoyed Mad Dogs. Not a classic but an enjoyable read. I'll Bring You the Birds From Out of the Sky just did not work for me.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I had a nearly opposite reaction. I enjoyed Mad Dogs. Not a classic but an enjoyable read. I'll Bring You the Birds From Out of the Sky just did not work for me.
            Really? That's too bad about IBYTBFOOTS. I thought it was interesting in the same way as Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters--an educated observer going to a remote/rural place to find the truth of a situation. Something old-timey and beautiful about it. The way the world seems new and undiscoverable.

            I might give Mad Dogs another shot. I gave up on it but I didn't hate it. I was bored and I just wanted to move on to another book I wanted to read more. Maybe I was in a restless mood.

            Comment


              Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              Really? That's too bad about IBYTBFOOTS. I thought it was interesting in the same way as Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters--an educated observer going to a remote/rural place to find the truth of a situation. Something old-timey and beautiful about it. The way the world seems new and undiscoverable.

              I might give Mad Dogs another shot. I gave up on it but I didn't hate it. I was bored and I just wanted to move on to another book I wanted to read more. Maybe I was in a restless mood.
              I absolutely loved every word of Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters!

              Comment


                Originally posted by Martin View Post
                I absolutely loved every word of Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters!
                Awesome book!

                Comment


                  I found myself re-reading Artuor Perez-Reverte's The Club Dumas. Hadn't planned on doing that, just picked it up intending to flip through it and got pulled right in. Books, murders, demons, the devil, what's not to love LOL!!! And of course, the Three Musketeers!
                  Last edited by mhatchett; 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM.

                  Comment


                    Currently reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I have never read it before and am really enjoying it. I always find the old world language distracting when I read old stories but I am really enjoying this book. Can't believe it took me this long to pick it up!

                    Comment


                      Started John Hodgmanís Vacationland. Needed something different to read plus itís fairly short.

                      Iím really enjoying his writing style. And found a great quote about why liquor is better than wine:

                      Wine is like religion because the people who really get into it tend to be fucking annoying.

                      Amen sir. Amen.
                      Last edited by TacomaDiver; 01-15-2018, 08:28 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                        . Needed something different to read .
                        I know what you mean. Not much in the mood for horror lately, it seems. Just finished READY PLAYER ONE, and liked it to a pretty fair degree, actually. Sure, it dragged in sections, and characterization was flat and undeveloped...but I’d argue that lack of chareracterization was the author’s general intention. It felt deliberately like a hyper-modern pulp tale told in the true pulp tradition — big on story, short on character. But like any good pulp yarn, it was compellingly readable; that even someone like me who isn’t into video games liked it this much attests to that. I think also, though, that it hit me at the right time...I’ve been a little restless with my reading choices lately, a little weary of horror in general...I was really in the mood for something very different, something just plain...fun. This one really fit the bill.

                        Crap, now I want the Sub Press S/L, but it looks like the upcoming Spielberg film have temporarily inflated prices.
                        Last edited by RonClinton; 01-16-2018, 07:02 AM.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                        Comment


                          Finally getting to Doctor Sleep. Over half way through. Like the story so far.

                          Comment


                            I finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. A long book. Some interesting ideas and the story kept my attention, but I didn't love it. i am not sure if I will read the next one at some stage.
                            I'm glad you enjoyed Ready Player One Ron. I did too.
                            I've gone back to Mad Dogs by Brian Hodge, which I accidentally stopped reading so I could read The Passage.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                              I finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. A long book. Some interesting ideas and the story kept my attention, but I didn't love it. i am not sure if I will read the next one at some stage.
                              I'm glad you enjoyed Ready Player One Ron. I did too.
                              I've gone back to Mad Dogs by Brian Hodge, which I accidentally stopped reading so I could read The Passage.
                              I read The Passage and The Twelve last year. Then went on to The City of Mirrors and was not thrilled with how the trilogy was wrapped up. The books were good. Not great.

                              Comment


                                Started Haven by Tom Deady. Still early but it is showing promise so far.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X