Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brlesh
    replied
    I’m about 2/3 of the way through Animal Farm by George Orwell. First read AF in high school, and then several times after. It never gets old. In fact, with the current issues with totalitarian regimes in Russia, China, Iran and NK, AF is as relevant today as it was 75 years ago. With AF & 1984, Orwell was a truly visionary author

B

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

It’s been 25 years or so since I’ve read it, but I do remember really liking The Damnation Game.

I think it was his first novel & was more of a horror novel than his later books, which tended to be more fantasy in nature.

I‘ve never read The Great and Secret Show, though I have heard good things about it. Have it in my TBR pile somewhere.

B
    Brlesh, thank for the reply...sorry took so long to respond, I come here infrequently (unfortunately). Thanks for that opinion, I will try to check the book out. I agree, Barker definitely went the fantasy route soon enough (the only one I would be interested in perhaps is Weaveworld).

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "A Cold Place for Dying".  Really enjoyed this one, but I personally consider it slightly lesser Triana in the sense that it didn't have that jaw-dropping holy crap moment.  It was just a really well written, really strong story.  Felt like kind of a cross between a Jack Ketchum & Richard Matheson story.  The human emotion in this one feels very real, and it has a kick-ass premise that you could totally buy as a reader.  I also loved the bonus "Love Nest" story at the end.  Again, nothing earthshattering, just a really fun and creepy horror story, king of his version of a totally messed-up Lovecraft story.  After reading each of these stories back-to-back, you can also see where he came up with one of his newest books, A Fine Evening in Hell, which feels like it was pulled from the best parts of each of the aforementioned stories.  Overall, I am very happy to add this book to ever expanding Triana collection and would give it a solid C+ to B- grade.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Sam W. Anderson's "The Money Run".  This was a complete impulse buy and I have no idea what to expect, but the premise sounds up my alley and I trust Thunderstorm's author line-up; so, fingers crossed!  

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    I read Gone to See the River Man and enjoyed it. Made me move up A Cold Place for Dying on my TBR.

I'm reading Midas by Tyler Jones and I'm really liking it. Different book than I would normally read (it's set in 1859 and deals with an old map and a mystery) but I love coming back to it.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Shane McKenzie's "Muerte Con Carne". This book was a blast! Nothing revolutionary, but you can tell the author really had fun writing this one. Had a bit of an Edward Lee feel to me, a mix of Goon & The Backwoods, if it was set at the Mexican border. Also dug the couple of short stories that were included with the main story. One of them even gave me some major Harlan Ellison vibes. Overall, If you enjoy splatter/extreme horror, this one is recommended.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "A Cold Place for Dying". Am a huge Triana fan and can't wait to see where he goes with this one!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up a re-read of Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury this morning.

While the story does read as somewhat dated, Bradbury’s themes of censorship and nuclear war are as prevalent today as they were 70 years ago.

After 451 I started West of Hell, a weird western anthology with three novella length stories by James A. Moore, R. B. Wood, & Michael Burke.

A few pages into the Moore story, which features his recurring character, Jonathan Crowley. So far, so good.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

That's a bummer. I've had it on my shelf for a little while and I've been looking forward to reading it. I have read a couple of Matthews's short stories and I did like them quite a bit, but a short story and a novel are two different things. I'll still get around to reading this, but it might have slid down a notch or two in the reading pile.
    Hopefully, you'll like it better than I did. I just couldn't get it to click for me. Was especially bummed as this was the first Thunderstorm title that I've ever considered DNF'ing. Thankfully, I picked this up at a much-reduced price on the aftermarket; so, I don't feel quite so bad about not enjoying it as much as I was expecting.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Mark Matthews "The Hobgoblin of Little Minds". In all honesty, this book just wasn't for me. Probably would have DNF'd it if I wasn't so obstinate about that sort of thing. It wasn't a bad book per se, but IMO, it just took way too long to get to the heart of the story. By the time it actually picked-up and started getting good, I had already mentally tapped-out and really wasn't interested in reinvesting at that point. I personally felt like a lot of the back story could have been condensed and not much wouldn't have been lost which would have also helped with the overall pacing of the book. Really, I think this would have made a better novella than novel. All that being said, there were still some really cool scenes and ideas in this one, and I can see it being especially poignant for someone who has suffered from or been around someone suffering from mental illness. Overall, I would give this a C- to D+ grade.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Shane McKenzie's "Muerte Con Carne"
    That's a bummer. I've had it on my shelf for a little while and I've been looking forward to reading it. I have read a couple of Matthews's short stories and I did like them quite a bit, but a short story and a novel are two different things. I'll still get around to reading this, but it might have slid down a notch or two in the reading pile.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Mark Matthews "The Hobgoblin of Little Minds".  In all honesty, this book just wasn't for me.  Probably would have DNF'd it if I wasn't so obstinate about that sort of thing.  It wasn't a bad book per se, but IMO, it just took way too long to get to the heart of the story.  By the time it actually picked-up and started getting good, I had already mentally tapped-out and really wasn't interested in reinvesting at that point.  I personally felt like a lot of the back story could have been condensed and not much wouldn't have been lost which would have also helped with the overall pacing of the book.  Really, I think this would have made a better novella than novel.  All that being said, there were still some really cool scenes and ideas in this one, and I can see it being especially poignant for someone who has suffered from or been around someone suffering from mental illness.  Overall, I would give this a C- to D+ grade.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Shane McKenzie's "Muerte Con Carne"

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's & Brian Keene's "Suburban Gothic", a sequel to Keene's "Urban Gothic" and Smith's "The Freakshow". As I mentioned above, this is a super fun book, especially if you're into the extreme horror thing. I believe you can enjoy "Suburban Gothic" on its own, but I would truly recommend reading the two books mentioned above to maximize the experience. Lots of previous characters and events are referenced. There's also lots of fun little Easter eggs from each author's catalogue as well as references to books/characters by other authors they enjoy. For example, there was an explicit reference to Edward Lee's The Bighead as well as other cryptids. This was Keene's & Smith's first collaboration; however, you would never know it as their styles blend seamlessly. Really hope they write together in the future.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Mark Matthews "The Hobgoblin of Little Minds"

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Two stories into In A Lonely Place by Karl Edward Wagner.
    So far, really enjoying it.  

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    60 pages to go in Lord of Damnation, and doubt I’ll pick it up again.

The first third was interesting enough, but then it just got kind of ridiculous.

I might’ve finished it if I thought there was any chance of the author pulling it out in the last quarter, but based on my past experiences with Clark, I don’t think there’s any chance of that.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Don Winslow's "City of Dreams". This book was a fantastic middle-book for this trilogy of stories. Could not put it down and was constantly thinking about it when not reading it. Cannot wait for the final book in the trilogy, "City in Ruins".

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's & Brian Keene's "Suburban Gothic", a sequel to Keene's "Urban Gothic" and Smith's "The Freakshow". Super fun so far, especially if you're into the extreme horror thing!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's "The Freakshow", an extreme horror novel. This book was a little frustrating for me, but that may have been due to my expectations. The book immediately launches into its plot and the killing starts from pretty much the get-go, and yet it didn't feel like the book truly began until well over a third of the way through. I know I didn't connect to it until around that point; however, once I did, it became a blast to read. Some of the kill/splatter/sex scenes were quite shocking, and I've been a reader of extreme horror for a while. Also had some very fun/despicable characters to root for & against. Overall, I can understand why this book has the rep that it does and would give it a solid C to C+ rating.

Am now reading Don Winslow's "City of Dreams". Already over half-way through. This book has an unputdownable quality and is yet another reminder for me as to why Winslow might be my favorite living crime writer.
    I've been real hit-or-miss with Bryan Smith in the past. I was not a big fan of 68 Kill, but I did enjoy Blood and Whiskey. I've mostly stayed away from his extreme horror stuff as it's not quite my jam, even though I have Depraved 4 on my shelf (which is really to keep a full matching set of Screaming Cacti lettereds). Maybe one day I'll give it a shot, though.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's "The Freakshow", an extreme horror novel. This book was a little frustrating for me, but that may have been due to my expectations. The book immediately launches into its plot and the killing starts from pretty much the get-go, and yet it didn't feel like the book truly began until well over a third of the way through. I know I didn't connect to it until around that point; however, once I did, it became a blast to read. Some of the kill/splatter/sex scenes were quite shocking, and I've been a reader of extreme horror for a while. Also had some very fun/despicable characters to root for & against. Overall, I can understand why this book has the rep that it does and would give it a solid C to C+ rating.

Am now reading Don Winslow's "City of Dreams". Already over half-way through. This book has an unputdownable quality and is yet another reminder for me as to why Winslow might be my favorite living crime writer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X