No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stayed up late and just finished reading Westlake Soul by Rio Youers. In short, one of the most beautifully written, heart wrenching, uplifting, sad, funny books I've read in a long time. I was literally talking to myself (or to book, really) as I finished the last forty pages. If you haven't read this yet, seriously do yourself a favor and pick this book up. I absolutely loved it.

Comment

I will keep my eye out. Thanks!
      MDH

Comment

I finished reading David Morrell's Fireflies from 1988. Very heartbreaking story that hits very close to home after losing someone close who had cancer (or anyone for that matter).
        Prior to that read Koontz's Innocence which was okay but, well, I don't have much of an opinion on it just kind of neutral.
        Now I've started Lisey's Story.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
          Now I've started Lisey's Story.
          One of my all-time favorites. Many hate it - I love it.
          King mentioned LS as his favorite (of his own works).
          Enjoy! And do let us know what you think.

sk

Comment

I am now reading Voyeurs of Death a Dark Regions kobo read. An interesting collection of short stories so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              That is a list of really good reads there! Looks like 2014 has been good to you so far! My wife read the Divergent books and really liked the first two but the last one not so much. My own TBR list is way too big to add them to the pile do I'll probably just watch the movies.
              I just finished Insurgent and I really hope the last one isn't as bad as I've read

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                One of my all-time favorites. Many hate it - I love it.
                King mentioned LS as his favorite (of his own works).
                Enjoy! And do let us know what you think.

sk
                I agree, I really like LS, very creative writing, and whether or not I knew the word "piebald" before I read it I cannot recall but will always remember because of LS what that word means

Comment

I was able to read a book a day while on vacation:

The King's Deception by Steve Berry
                  The Dying Hours by Mark Billingham
                  Inferno by Dan Brown
                  Gun Machine by Warren Ellis
                  The Babylon Rite by Tom Knox
                  The Eye of God by James Rollins
                  The Tower by Simon Toyne
                  The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Currently reading Lexicon by Max Barry.

Comment

Some titles there Joe, that are on my list of authors/books I wouldn't mind to try. Namely Berry and Knox. I love Rollins, but want to tackle his Sigma Force series in order.

Comment

So, currently I am reading my first Cormac McCarthy.......The Road

I will say this - he is "different" in terms of his writing style. He is more "wordy", I think???? Not typical use of the way everybody else writes. Those who have read him, would probably understand.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post

I will say this - he is "different" in terms of his writing style. He is more "wordy", I think???? Not typical use of the way everybody else writes. Those who have read him, would probably understand.
                        I liked all his books. His writing style is definitely different, but once you get into it his stories just flow. Great writer.

Comment

I finished The Road. I will say it was a different read, mostly from McCarthy's style. This was a short book, and at this rather boring, but it did keep me wanting to turn the pages. Very dark story and scenery. I may watch the movie soon.

Up next - The Bootlegger by Clive Cussler. My city was a hotspot for bootlegging/rum running, and smuggling during prohibition - Detroit is across the river from us, and we have Hiram Walker's (Canadian Club), plus the river wasn't hard to smuggle things across back then. Not sure if Windsor is in the book, but I have a feeling it may mention the area.

Comment

Up next - The Bootlegger by Clive Cussler. My city was a hotspot for bootlegging/rum running, and smuggling during prohibition - Detroit is across the river from us, and we have Hiram Walker's (Canadian Club), plus the river wasn't hard to smuggle things across back then. Not sure if Windsor is in the book, but I have a feeling it may mention the area.
                            I read The Bootlegger a few days ago. Good story, if a bit over the top. Enjoyable all the same.

Comment

He's more wordy in that book at some points, more short in others. I think the writing style he used for The Road was great for that story, but definitely wouldn't work for most stories. Not all his books (Maybe none of his other books) have that same writing style. I started reading another of his books, though got busy and distracted to the point of not finishing it, and it was definitely not written the same way. Loved that book and was very impressed with the movie since it didn't deviate from the story the way most movies based on King's books do.
                              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Just started Ronald Kelly's Fear, just read the prologue last night. Great intro

Comment

Working...
                                X