What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
    Just finished Amped by Daniel Wilson, on to The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.
    I gave up on The Dog Stars. I couldn't get passed the writing style. It was too fragmented I guess (example: I go up to breathe. The different air.)

On to The Summer of Dead Toys.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
      I gave up on The Dog Stars. I couldn't get passed the writing style. It was too fragmented I guess (example: I go up to breathe. The different air.)
      That's too bad, Joe, it's quite a good tale. I admit that while the explanation of why he writes as he does was intriguing, the author couldn't keep it consistent. By the end of the book he's speaking in complete sentences.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        That's too bad, Joe, it's quite a good tale. I admit that while the explanation of why he writes as he does was intriguing, the author couldn't keep it consistent. By the end of the book he's speaking in complete sentences.
        Is the explanation part of the story? or is it something Heller explained in an interview? I did notice the consistency issue, however.

Comment

In the story. The author caught the flu, his temperature reaching dangerously high levels, but he recovered. The result was that he lost his ability to focus for any significant amount of time. But the rountine of flying and practice got him grounded again. So I suppose that he got better at composing complete thoughts on paper as he continued to write.
          Last edited by srboone; 02-18-2013, 05:49 AM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Started reading Last Days by Adam Nevill, one of my Goodreads wins. Sounds like it should be pretty good, so hopefully it is worth it. The ARC is over 500 pages, so definitely way too long for me to push my way to the finish line if it fails to grab me.
            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
            Spoiler!

Comment

Watering Heaven by Peter Tieryas Liu was quite a collection of tales, very enjoyable. American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett is up next (though I'm tempted to hold off since Fuse comes out tomorrow and Stage Whispers arrives via UPS tommorrow too!)
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished this yesterday and I need a drink, a hug and a therapist, Typical Lee, love it
                DSC01426.jpg

And now started on this and it is very cool so far
                DSC01428.jpg

and srboone, can I borrow Fuse when you are finished? promise I'll take good care of it

Comment

Your gonna love Kin, great story!
                  Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                  Finished this yesterday and I need a drink, a hug and a therapist, Typical Lee, love it
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]11844[/ATTACH]

And now started on this and it is very cool so far
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]11845[/ATTACH]

and srboone, can I borrow Fuse when you are finished? promise I'll take good care of it

Comment

Just finished a great book by Ernest Cline who wrote the Fanboys screenplay. It's called Ready Player One and it has a lot of 80s pop culture and videogame nostalgia.

Next up is Who I Am, Pete Townshend's memoir.
                    http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                    http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                    http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ready Player One is one that I would love to get my hand on, however it is not priority. As a child you grew up in the '80s it really grabbed my interest when I read about it.

I am picking my way through Salem's Lot - love it so far - almost 1/2 way through.

Comment

After a bit of a novel-reading hiatus I'm back with John Dies At The End. I could do with a giggle and this fits nicely.

Nice work on getting the Adam Nevill ARC, RJK. I enjoyed Apartment 16, another of his. The writing in that novel was truly excellent. My only criticism was that he seemed too eager to get to the end. I'd certainly read another one, though.
                        The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                        Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                        ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Thanks Lucian. Not as far into it as I would like to be, though that has nothing to do with the book. More that I've been busy and distracted. Am enjoying it so far, but am wondering well it will hold up for such a long novel.

Also, for those in the US who are interested in Nevill's Last Days, it has another giveaway through the end of the month. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15793201-last-days
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            Your gonna love Kin, great story!
                            You are correct sir, great story, halfway through can't wait to see how it ends

Comment

If you have not read his collection The Number 121 to Pennsylvania you must read that as well. not a bad story in the bunch!
                              Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                              You are correct sir, great story, halfway through can't wait to see how it ends

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                If you have not read his collection The Number 121 to Pennsylvania you must read that as well. not a bad story in the bunch!
                                I've had the signed limited in my cart on Amazon for a while now, the paperback is out so I can finally get to it, horror anthologies are among my favorite reading materials

Comment

Working...
                                X