Ability to cancel pre-orders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The fact that you may be able to sell the item for more than you paid should have no bearing here. I have several pre-orders with Suntup. Were I to try to cancel one and was denied, I would request refunds on all orders and then I would file a claim with my bank. This is bad business and brings Nocturnal Reader's Box and Full Moon Press and that in not company any company should want to be in.
    Mentioning Suntup and NRB in the same sentence is laughable.

Comment

I'm not completely disagreeing with you however I would imagine, as only a guess, most banks and lenders, will not support a seller who hasn't provided a retail product.

I could be wrong.

I would also be surprised if a business owner wouldn't provide a full return of funds if the hope for repeat business.

Especially in this case where their product typically appreciates on the 2nd hand market. Suntup could still make a profit, eat whatever small fee for the transaction, based on past sales.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

You'd have to contest it. He'll merely point out the 48 hour policy to you. Maybe CA allows for the 48 hour window since that's the point of sale vs where the purchaser lives? Either way, the policy is in black and white and I personally don't have a problem with it. Otherwise purchase, if you can, from a retailer who doesn't charge you until the book is ready to ship.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Hello hello. This discussion was brought to my attention. That policy on pre-orders was put in place in the very early days when cash flow was an issue. I don't think I could rub two cents together, let alone offer a refund on a pre-order. According to California law, it was permitted. Anyway, the policy was made, and then forgotten. It could definitely use some refreshing now that all this time has passed, so I have updated the policy which can be seen here. I appreciate you keeping me on my toes!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Mentioning Suntup and NRB in the same sentence is laughable.
          As a whole I completely agree. If Suntup refused to accept a cancelation of a pre-order and told a customer to 'find someone else to sell the book to', then that specific case is comparable. Not attempting to diss Suntup but that is comparable behavior.
          As Paul has mentioned he has updated his policy to accept cancelation with store credit. I find that fair, however if the customer really needed a refund I would hope he would accommodate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Suntup View Post
            Hello hello. This discussion was brought to my attention. That policy on pre-orders was put in place in the very early days when cash flow was an issue. I don't think I could rub two cents together, let alone offer a refund on a pre-order. According to California law, it was permitted. Anyway, the policy was made, and then forgotten. It could definitely use some refreshing now that all this time has passed, so I have updated the policy which can be seen here. I appreciate you keeping me on my toes!
            Thank you for your input. That brings me another question. Does the law covering refunds come from the state the business is in or the state the customer is in? I guess I have some studying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thank you for your input. That brings me another question. Does the law covering refunds come from the state the business is in or the state the customer is in? I guess I have some studying to do.
              The state law in which the business resides would be controlling in regard to the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Br!an View Post

The state law in which the business resides would be controlling in regard to the business.
                Thanks. I did some looking and the only thing I could find was from a website that advises online retailers with wording on their sites. They basically list the 14 states that have laws and advise the website to word their policy to accommodate all states. They indicate that you then do not need to worry about which state you are shipping to. They do not indicate that the law requires it, just basically suggesting you play it safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Suntup View Post
                  Hello hello. This discussion was brought to my attention. That policy on pre-orders was put in place in the very early days when cash flow was an issue. I don't think I could rub two cents together, let alone offer a refund on a pre-order.
                  That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the original policy. The way the secondary market has gone for Suntup books, there probably haven't been any cancellations since the early days, if even then. It's easy to see how updating this could be overlooked.

Comment

This whole discussion makes me be more cautious with pre-orders. As you all know I'm small time but I had no idea pre-orders could be protected by State Laws. If I cancel before I receive a product I always consider the "ball" still in my court. I suppose that once my money leaves my account I actually lose leverage.
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                    X