I found a curious book mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a curious book mystery

Recently I purchased Magpie Murder by J. Russell Warren, 1942, Published by Sheridan House, Inc; 293 pages. I was pleased to find a copy of this book at an affordable price. Then later I saw a copy of Magpie Murder by Gilbert Coverack. The info I saw at AbeBooks or Alibris read J. Russell Warren (Gilbert Coverack). Since the Coverack book had a dustjacket and was also affordable I ordered the book. There is no copyright year in the Coverack book, it's published by William Earl & Co Ltd. 188 pages. I compared both books. Each book starts the same way and end the same way too. It's like the Coverack book is an abridged version. I personally have not run across something this odd with books before.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    Recently I purchased Magpie Murder by J. Russell Warren, 1942, Published by Sheridan House, Inc; 293 pages. I was pleased to find a copy of this book at an affordable price. Then later I saw a copy of Magpie Murder by Gilbert Coverack. The info I saw at AbeBooks or Alibris read J. Russell Warren (Gilbert Coverack). Since the Coverack book had a dustjacket and was also affordable I ordered the book. There is no copyright year in the Coverack book, it's published by William Earl & Co Ltd. 188 pages. I compared both books. Each book starts the same way and end the same way too. It's like the Coverack book is an abridged version. I personally have not run across something this odd with books before.
    It appears on Amazon that J. Russell Warren is a pseudonym of Gilbert Coverack.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

It appears on Amazon that J. Russell Warren is a pseudonym of Gilbert Coverack.
      I gathered that was the case when at AbeBooks or Alibris I saw J. Russell Warren (Gilbert Coverack) as the author for this book.

Cap

Comment

Just gotta cut out those boring bits! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
          Just gotta cut out those boring bits! ;-)
          I know you're joking and I get what you're saying. It's just strange there is a abridged version and a unabridged version. Each book has a different author name yet the story starts out and ends the same.

Cap

Comment

I know you're joking and I get what you're saying. It's just strange there is a abridged version and a unabridged version. Each book has a different author name yet the story starts out and ends the same.

Cap
            It's possible for the beginning and end to be identical. There may have been side plots that were removed somewhere in the middle.

Very interesting though!

Comment

Cap
              I wish publishers were required to state if a book was abridged. Even just a line on the copyright page.

Comment

I posted here since today's post is about author J Russell Warren. Look what I found. I had this book by the author and read it. Cap
                https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/6d5d41b8...12decb47c6a2d4

Comment

It is strange that the one doesn't state unabridged.

Cap
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                    It is strange that the one doesn't state unabridged.

I did take each copy out and double check thinking maybe I missed something. In each copy it does not say abridged or unabridged. I was glad you posted and made me look. Cap

Comment

Who really knows what may have occurred. May have been the author and publisher were at odds during original publication and the author never wanted the abridged version to occur. Hence when it was re-published, unabridged, the author didn't want to acknowledge the first print run.

That is all speculation of course.

I did take each copy out and double check thinking maybe I missed something. In each copy it does not say abridged or unabridged. I was glad you posted and made me look. Cap
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                      X