Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found a curious book mystery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I found a curious book mystery

    Recently I purchased Magpie Murder by J. Russell Warren, 1942, Published by Sheridan House, Inc; 293 pages. I was pleased to find a copy of this book at an affordable price. Then later I saw a copy of Magpie Murder by Gilbert Coverack. The info I saw at AbeBooks or Alibris read J. Russell Warren (Gilbert Coverack). Since the Coverack book had a dustjacket and was also affordable I ordered the book. There is no copyright year in the Coverack book, it's published by William Earl & Co Ltd. 188 pages. I compared both books. Each book starts the same way and end the same way too. It's like the Coverack book is an abridged version. I personally have not run across something this odd with books before.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

    #2
    Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    Recently I purchased Magpie Murder by J. Russell Warren, 1942, Published by Sheridan House, Inc; 293 pages. I was pleased to find a copy of this book at an affordable price. Then later I saw a copy of Magpie Murder by Gilbert Coverack. The info I saw at AbeBooks or Alibris read J. Russell Warren (Gilbert Coverack). Since the Coverack book had a dustjacket and was also affordable I ordered the book. There is no copyright year in the Coverack book, it's published by William Earl & Co Ltd. 188 pages. I compared both books. Each book starts the same way and end the same way too. It's like the Coverack book is an abridged version. I personally have not run across something this odd with books before.
    It appears on Amazon that J. Russell Warren is a pseudonym of Gilbert Coverack.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Martin View Post

      It appears on Amazon that J. Russell Warren is a pseudonym of Gilbert Coverack.
      I gathered that was the case when at AbeBooks or Alibris I saw J. Russell Warren (Gilbert Coverack) as the author for this book.

      Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

      Comment


        #4
        Just gotta cut out those boring bits! ;-)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Splync View Post
          Just gotta cut out those boring bits! ;-)
          I know you're joking and I get what you're saying. It's just strange there is a abridged version and a unabridged version. Each book has a different author name yet the story starts out and ends the same.

          Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by c marvel View Post

            I know you're joking and I get what you're saying. It's just strange there is a abridged version and a unabridged version. Each book has a different author name yet the story starts out and ends the same.

            Cap
            It's possible for the beginning and end to be identical. There may have been side plots that were removed somewhere in the middle.

            Very interesting though!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by c marvel View Post

              I know you're joking and I get what you're saying. It's just strange there is a abridged version and a unabridged version. Each book has a different author name yet the story starts out and ends the same.

              Cap
              I wish publishers were required to state if a book was abridged. Even just a line on the copyright page.

              Comment

              Working...
              X