Dan Hocker's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
    Let's be fair, Grant. The weight is about the same.
    True, but, in hindsight, maybe I should have just imported the elephant - they're just so ... damn ... versatile - the book just sits there

Comment

The Word and Void Series, 1st Editions / 1st Printings. A Knight of the Word is in a little rougher shape than I would've liked, but you can't really complain for a $7 purchase. I just love the cover art for the first and last one, not so hot on the second one though. Great series of books though. I think my next purchase will be the three books in The Genesis of Shannara Series.
      2011-10-28 17.34.01.jpg
      2011-10-28 17.34.11.jpg
      2011-10-28 17.34.24.jpg
      2011-10-28 17.34.52.jpg
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

That's a very nice set of books, Dan.
        I used to read Brooks faithfully, but over the years have lost track of what he's doing.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          That's a very nice set of books, Dan.
          I used to read Brooks faithfully, but over the years have lost track of what he's doing.

sk
          Pretty much the same for me. I've only read The Word and Void series, Genesis of Shannara Series, High Druid series, and whatever the one he's currently working on all within the last year. The rest of his stuff I read for the first time probably 10 years ago.

Instagram

Comment

For $7 that book seems to be in fine shape! Nice additions, still something that is on my TBR list.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
              For $7 that book seems to be in fine shape! Nice additions, still something that is on my TBR list.
              You can't really see the rough condition in the pictures. It isn't in exactly the same condition as it was listed as. But doesn't really bother me.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                I picked up one of the damaged copies we had here at work, it's really the only way I could justify getting one.
                Hey Dan, do you think it's reasonable to spend almost $800 for the limited and I think around $350 at The Overlook for one of these? It seems pretty damn high to me. I can't really remember it being offered here since I seem to buy virtually everything offered here (when I can afford it; now I can't after buying Dracula, The Woman limited and The Exorcist 40th Ann. Ed. among other books). But that just seems to high for me, still if I could afford it, I'd probably buy the limited. But I don't think that's ever gonna happen unfortunately.

Comment

Europe, we think at the Black forest near the Sigfried line.
                  Isn't that also known as "The Battle of the Bulge"? All of my great uncles fought in Europe, but my uncle Wesley was in 5 major battles and I think you get a silver star for that?? Maybe that's not right, but I remember my grandma saying he got a special star for being in 5 major battles. I thought the silver star was for courage under fire.
                  My grandpa was the only one in my family who was in the Pacific theater.
                  Totally off topic when it comes to horror novles, but I wanted to mention it because it's extremely important we remember those guys, unlike the ungrateful lil snots nowadays.

Comment

My father was at Kasarine Pass in North Africa. He has a whole bookshelf filled with books on the subject. The rest of his time in WWII was spent on the French Riviera. He wrote his memoirs back in 86, but they are unreadable. I found 5 really good stories of his days in WWII in them, but I had to piece them together from various parts of the manuscript. Writing it made him happy. Took him about 9 months. I have the only survivng copy, I think.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                      Hey Dan, do you think it's reasonable to spend almost $800 for the limited and I think around $350 at The Overlook for one of these? It seems pretty damn high to me. I can't really remember it being offered here since I seem to buy virtually everything offered here (when I can afford it; now I can't after buying Dracula, The Woman limited and The Exorcist 40th Ann. Ed. among other books). But that just seems to high for me, still if I could afford it, I'd probably buy the limited. But I don't think that's ever gonna happen unfortunately.
                      I honestly don't know what the limited retail for these days. I know we sold some dinged copies of the gift for significantly less and the last time we sold new copies even though where significantly less than retail. We are talking about Knowing Darkness right?

Instagram

Comment

If you're talking about Knowing Darkness, and you enjoy King related art, and if you've seen the quality of the production (and, yes, true, if you can afford it) it's well worth $350 (although, truth to tell, you can get one sealed and pristine for a lot less if'n you hunt around some ) As indicated elsewhere in this thread, I snagged myself an AE, and it sure as .... as ... as .... heck .... didn't cost $800. I wasn't joking when I said that the shipping cost more than the actual book.

Comment

I honestly don't know what the limited retail for these days. I know we sold some dinged copies of the gift for significantly less and the last time we sold new copies even though where significantly less than retail. We are talking about Knowing Darkness right?
                          Yeah, Knowing Darkness. I basically wanted it not necessarily for all the artists sigs, but I remember in the email CD saying it was the biggest and heaviest book we ever did...something like 11-13 pounds?? LOL that's amazing in itself.
                          If I ever get the money, and some are still around, just the "regular" edition would be ok with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                            If you're talking about Knowing Darkness, and you enjoy King related art, and if you've seen the quality of the production (and, yes, true, if you can afford it) it's well worth $350 (although, truth to tell, you can get one sealed and pristine for a lot less if'n you hunt around some ) As indicated elsewhere in this thread, I snagged myself an AE, and it sure as .... as ... as .... heck .... didn't cost $800. I wasn't joking when I said that the shipping cost more than the actual book.
                            If I was still working regularly which I can't do nowadays because of winter coming up, the rotten economy and the situation with my neck, (I'm an electrician), I would defintely go for the signed one even though I just said it wasn't the sigs that interested me most. It's still better to have something signed than just a regular trade edition.

Comment

If I was still working regularly which I can't do nowadays because of winter coming up, the rotten economy and the situation with my neck, (I'm an electrician), I would defintely go for the signed one even though I just said it wasn't the sigs that interested me most. It's still better to have something signed than just a regular trade edition.
                              Sounds like a bitch mate, but you'll get through it As regards Knowing Darkness - there ain't nothing ordinary about the unsigned edition either, no question at all. The only differences between the two are (a) the big arsed case it comes in (b) the insert of prints that aren't included in the "regular" edition and (c) the signature pages. Signatures are well and good, however, the AE cannot be handled as you would a "standard" book - you need to be freaking Arnie S to lift that damn thing, and then you have the issue about dropping it, scuffing it, et al ... Much better off with the standard if you really want to "appreciate" the art for what it is
                              Last edited by Grant Wootton; 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I think we have a few more of the backordered "dinged copies" to ship, but we might have a few extra when we're done. I think we ordered 55 and only need something like 50, I can't remember. I think we sold the "dinged" copies for about 75 give or take a couple cents.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X