Paperdragon's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paperdragon's Collection

Well thought I might as well begin one of these so I can share my eclectic collection with you folks. Books were always my true first affliction with the madness we call collecting. I started with those scholastic book club purchases I made in grade school. It then progressed into comic books, which reached its apex when I owned a comic book store for five years back in the late 80's. About 10 years ago I started collecting original comic art and now have around 800 pieces which has branched out to book covers and interior illustrations, most notably from Joe Lansdale books.

My other big passions in life are fishing, hunting and foraging for mushrooms. My wife and I live in a semi remote area of northern Idaho on 20 acres. We live in a log cabin, hand built, not one of those kit homes. We are off the electrical grid, not by choice but due to the cost of bringing power the one mile, which now would run $100,000. So we use generators and a back up 12 volt system. Our own water system which is gravity fed from the 2,000 gallon holding tank that sits up the hill a ways. There is a creek and a set of small water falls on the property as well. Heat with wood of course. We live were most people dream of going on vacation.

So I run from one shiny object to another and another and so forth always on that immortal quest searching for one more grail.

If collecting is an illness than I must be terminal

The water falls, Gold Creek

View out my kitchen window

View from by back porch

So thought I would start with some art then post some of my favorite books

Cover for Joe Lansdale's "Mad Dog Summer" art by Timothy Truman

Cover for Joe Lansdale's "God of the Razor" art by Timothy Truman

Blind Date by Steve Fastner and Rich Larson

The Howler in the Mist by Mike Dubisch

The Tasty Bits by Dan Harding
    If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Great start, thanks for starting another collection thread. Looking forward to more. I love northern Idaho, beautiful part of the country!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for starting this collection thread, PD! Great to have new POV in the threads! How long have you lived in the manner you do? Quite romantic, but hard, I'm sure.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Your property looks awesome. Don't know if I could live "off the grid" like you do, even though its not that "off". I've grown to used to my technology. My uncle would love that area though. He lives pretty much completely self sufficiently in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Anyway, can't wait to see your collection.

Comment

Great art to start. Love the Truman paintings.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I absolutely love the art you've posted so far.
            Looking forwards to more!!

sk

Comment

Love that art work.Simply awesome.

Comment

Thanks everybody, been here 21 years now. There is a certain amount of effort it takes to live here but the price is small and I have a great partner in my wife. We have all the modern conveniences, indoor plumbing, which a lot of folks around us don't, big screen tv, satellite dish, washer etc. Winter can be really brutal some years with up to 24 feet of snowfall other years less snow and more rain mixed in which creates it own problems. Probably the most inconvenient thing is the dial up internet.

Here we are digging out our full size club cab pickup, had to dig down three feet just to hit the roof

Gets to the point the snow can't slide off the roof and you have to shovel your roofs off to keep them from collapsing.

My wife, the most dangerous woman in north Idaho. That is her knife and pistol. We were at a show and a guy selling knifes was so enamored with her he told her to take her pick of a knife for free. I tried to reason with her to get a hunting knife or something more practical and she was adamant that she wanted that one.

Comment

Quite the setup, PD! I love snow, but I don't how I'd feel about 24 feet! And I see your collection is being adequatly protected.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Thats not a knife; this is a knife.

crocodile-dundee-knife.jpg

Comment

LOL, watched parts of that last night.
                      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Looking good, love the art you posted!

Comment

Just got this in the mail today, cover art to Brian Lumleys "Titus Crow 3" by Bob Eggleton its 15 x 21 and this image does it no justice.

Last edited by paperdragon; 03-15-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Nice!
                            "now youes can't leave"
                            A Bronx Tale
                            directed by Robert De Niro.

Comment

Got this in the mail today from the man himself Alan M Clark. Its the cover to Cemetery Dance's "Corpse King" by Tim Curran. Alan's title is "Medical Education From the Ground Up". Very pleased to acquire this.

Medical Education From the Ground Up-Alan Clark.jpg
                              corpse king.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X