No announcement yet.

Collector or Reader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still a reader first. Otherwise I would have jumped on the Dracula bandwagon, regardless of how many copies of it I have. After all, I don't have THAT one!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

At one time I had an almost complete Arkham House collection, missing only a few VERY high-priced items. I got bored with it and sold it for a very good price. I kind of regret it now, but the five-figure amount I got was appreciated at the time.

John

Comment

Glad to hear it...

I enjoy this thread. I have always thought I was a rare breed of collector who actually reads their books and intends to read all of them. I have always thought the perfect retirement would be with a library of well loved books waiting to be re-read and books waiting to be read for the first time. As retirement is rapidly approaching - as hard as that is to say... I really started building my collection about 4 or 5 years ago. I love fine bound books and signed first editions many of which I bought on Ebay. I bought a signed copy of Breakfast of Champions and received an email from the Justice Department that it was a fake. I really hate that. The Justice Department continued to email me about the case against the seller. He eventually got three years in jail. I ramble... Anyhow - it is good to see all of you reader/collectors actually read their books. I am very careful and it is very hard to tell I have even read them - but read them I do. The purpose of my library is for my enjoyment. Some of my books have increased in value, sure. That is not why I buy them, however. I can't even say they are to bequeath to someone as I have no children and only one niece who would not be caught dead reading "my sort of book". They are for my pleasure... and a pleasure it is.
        Debra Harrison
        www.bookcollecting101.com
        www.finehomedecor101.com

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Comment

Collector of Stephen King, I have only read a few of the actual books and stick to my ereader for the rest because its much easier on my neck

Comment

I only buy what I'll read, so I've never been one to build up a collection based on publisher rather than author.

It's a lot easier to hang on to e-books, though. I was copying my e-book folder to a new PC yesterday and noticed I have over 6.35Gb of e-books, and much of that is still compressed in rar format. I'm sure that would be a house full of books in paperback form

Comment

Yep, can't get by without my Kindle nowadays - never thought I'd be converted, but yep, it happens to the best of us Still though, there's nothing like the tactile sensation of a real book ........ collector/reader tis I
              Last edited by Grant Wootton; 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Reader Reader Reader.I Do not own a Kindel or any book reader.I am not to technological and have heard good and bad things about e-readers.I love to hold a book not a computer.I sometimes feel that I was born 100 years to late.

Comment

I am reading more and more books via my phone (Kindle App) and my PC (Kindle App) but I still love the feel of a hardbound book. I also like larger paperbacks, ARCs are a good example. For whatever reason I am not comfortable reading small paperback books. I always feel like I am bending the pages to far. You don't need to tell me I'm weird I already know.

Comment

Absolutely reader -- the collecting just happens, it grows out of the fact that I love to own books. My books range from beat-to-hell to personally autographed beautiful books that I still touch and read.
                    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                      I Do not own a Kindel or any book reader.I am not to technological and have heard good and bad things about e-readers.I love to hold a book not a computer.I sometimes feel that I was born 100 years to late.
                      I agree. I don't see myself ever reading a book on a computer or a phone or whatever. There's just something about a real honest-to-life book that speaks to me.

Comment

I love this discussion, and it should probably have it's own thread, but that would require a lot of work to sort it out of this one. For me, I do love a good book, but truthfully these days I've negated my books to looking pretty on the shelf. When I read them I read my digital copies. I've even gotten to the point where if I'm re-reading something I already own, I've been buying digital versions of them. This way I have the books with me all the time, it helps that I'm a child of technology as well. Pretty much the only thing I still read in print on a regular baisis are my Hellboy comics, and that's only because I don't want to wait for the delayed digital release of them.
                        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I guess I'm too old-fashioned. I buy books that I want or might want to read one day. I like the feel, the smell, the sight and even the sound a real book makes while being read. I do have a few books on a Kindle app for my PC, but I can't get motivated to read them--if I could fiure out a way to print them from the Kindle app, I'd give them a shot, but until then, they'll probably just remain there.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Never read an e-book and never will, you can't get much better than finding a comfy spot to sit and read a nice page turner.

Comment

I thought some of you may agree with this photo I just came across, though of yas right away....

406375_371857856171877_209125412445123_1361634_565813731_n.jpeg

Comment

I am a reader/collector. I usually will only buy a book that I know I will read. If I really liked a book I'll try to find a signed copy or limited edition of the book if it is available. I read mostly on my iPad because I don't want to ruin a book with my grubby fingers.

Comment

Working...
                                X