• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Welcome to home ownership! LOL

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I bought a sweet 6-foot fiberglass ladder this weekend. It's orange. I think you all know what a ladder looks like.

Yes, this is my life now. Ladders.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I bought a sweet 6-foot fiberglass ladder this weekend. It's orange. I think you all know what a ladder looks like.

Yes, this is my life now. Ladders.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Books Photo.JPG

So not signed editions or anything, but I figured I'd post some recent purchases. As usual, for Christmas I received some gift cards for Barnes & Noble and Amazon. Since most of my book money goes to limited hardcovers from primarily the horror genre, I like to use these gift cards to pick up some stuff that I normally wouldn't. Whether that's some horror authors that I haven't had the chance to read in the limited edition format or stuff outside of the horror genre. So here's the list from left to right starting at the top:
    • LEECH by Hiron Ennes: I don't put too much stock in cover blurbs, but Gillian Flynn's statement that the book is a mixture of THE THING and THE ALIENIST sounded intriguing. I'd also never heard of the author, so I figured why not give it a shot. Interestingly, this was in the horror section of the Barnes & Noble I bought it from, but was nominated for "Best Science Fiction" by Goodreads in 2022. I guess, we'll see where it lands.
    • THE BOOK OF ACCIDENTS by Chuck Wendig: I really wanted WANDERERS, but the B&N didn't have it in stock, so I settled for this one. Haunted houses are my jam, so this sounded like a good place to start with Wendig, even if readers are little divided on this one.
    • GARDENS OF THE MOON by Steven Erikson: By all accounts, I am not a big fan of fantasy. I've tried, but it mostly doesn't work for me. Yet, I still occasionally give the a book a try. People seem to go crazy for these Mazalan books, so I figured I'd give the first book a shot. I've heard this series is super-dense, so let's see if I make it past book one.
    • BATMAN YEAR ONE: Okay so I've been dipping my toe back into the comic book waters a little more lately. Mostly, I've been looking to read through the stuff that I've always meant to get around to, but haven't (like the Giffen/DeMatties Justice League that I bought shelled out dough to finish my collection so that I could sit down and read it all, yet still haven't even started. But I digress...) Anyways. I've always wanted to read Frank Miller's YEAR ONE, but never got around to it. Amazon was having a "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" sale, so I figured at $5, but I could probably do a lot worse.
    • CALICO by Lee Goldberg was a purchase brought on by recommendations on this forum. CROWN VIC sounded more up my alley, but it wasn't part of that 50% off deal and CALICO was...so CALICO for the win! I am looking forward to digging to this one.
    • THE L.A. QUARTET by James Ellroy: I've been trying to read more crime fiction lately and I've been meaning to read L.A. CONFIDENTIAL since the first time I saw the movie adaptation in the 90s, so I figured why not get the whole series. This is a pretty big commitment since I've never read anything by Ellroy before. I'm hoping that I'll enjoy it as much as I did the adaptation of L.A. CONFIDENTIAL and not how miserable the viewing experience was for THE BLACK DHALIA, which my wife still claims is the worst movie she's ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I'm going more of a budget route these days. Picked up a signed copy of Tyler Jones Enter Softly from his website and will be getting a signed copy Brian A. Hopkins The Woman of Color's Tale: Buchanan's Curse.

Looking forward to reading both.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

According to a recent Facebook thread, Mindy has been telling people that it will ship this winter, meaning it should be ready by March 19th (official end of winter 2023-2024).

The Stand by Stephen King:
    We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to start printing this winter. (1/4/2024)

I hope it shows up soon! I ordered it in 2015, and only have one preorder older than that.
    That's good to hear. Hope it ends up being true. I never would have heard that info as I don't do Facebook or other social media sites. Wish all publishers would post that sort of info on their own sites as well as their social media for people like me.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Sweet! Always nice to cross off one of those super old pre-orders! I believe The Stand might be my oldest pre-order as well. I was super bummed to see the latest update by CD as they previously indicated that they hoped to have it done by Winter 2023, and now it looks like it won't even begin being printed until Winter 2024, which I'm guessing means that they haven't started the slipcase which I'm sure will push this to a late 2025/early 2026 release. God I hope I'm wrong about that.
    According to a recent Facebook thread, Mindy has been telling people that it will ship this winter, meaning it should be ready by March 19th (official end of winter 2023-2024).

The Stand by Stephen King:
    We are finalizing the last pieces of design. Due to the recent closure of our preferred slipcase manufacturer for the Doubleday series, it may experience some small delays. We are anticipating to start printing this winter. (1/4/2024)

I hope it shows up soon! I ordered it in 2015, and only have one preorder older than that.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Sweet! Always nice to cross off one of those super old pre-orders! I believe The Stand might be my oldest pre-order as well. I was super bummed to see the latest update by CD as they previously indicated that they hoped to have it done by Winter 2023, and now it looks like it won't even begin being printed until Winter 2024, which I'm guessing means that they haven't started the slipcase which I'm sure will push this to a late 2025/early 2026 release. God I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Sadly you're probably accurate with those ETAs.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Can this count as a "latest purchase" since it was my oldest purchase?

Got shipping "notification" almost a month ago, but this just showed up tonight. Originally ordered in November of 2017:
    20240106_004855149_iOS.jpg

Now my oldest pre-order is The Stand from January 2018.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Can this count as a "latest purchase" since it was my oldest purchase?

Got shipping "notification" almost a month ago, but this just showed up tonight. Originally ordered in November of 2017:
    20240106_004855149_iOS.jpg

Now my oldest pre-order is The Stand from January 2018.

Leave a comment:

• Chuggers
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Yeah, unfortunately they weren't. For me, the Wyndham was the only one of interest this time around. I would encourage you to keep looking for the McCarthys, though...I have all three, and they're quite nice. The slipcases leave a lot to be desired, but the production qualities are otherwise nice, up to usual Folio standards, and the art in all three (by the same artist) really complements McCarthy's vision.

(All HCs are 1st printings; the trade 1st of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is signed & incl. provenance card)
    image_22672.jpg
    Those are stunning...I've been eyeing them but things everywhere are just tighter every day

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuggers View Post

Ron I went to Folio so fast, just praying their Cormac McCarthy titles were part of that sale lol andddd of course they weren'tÂ
    Yeah, unfortunately they weren't. For me, the Wyndham was the only one of interest this time around. I would encourage you to keep looking for the McCarthys, though...I have all three, and they're quite nice. The slipcases leave a lot to be desired, but the production qualities are otherwise nice, up to usual Folio standards, and the art in all three (by the same artist) really complements McCarthy's vision.

(All HCs are 1st printings; the trade 1st of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is signed & incl. provenance card)
    image_22672.jpg
    Last edited by RonClinton; 01-04-2024, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuggers
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I had an interesting few days as a book buyer:

On Day One, I placed an order on ABE for MIDAS by Tyler Jones, the Earthling S/L HC. The seller had three copies, one for $64.50, two for $84.50. I figured the $64.50 was a perhaps a slightly less crisp copy than the other two, though all three were labeled Fine...maybe it had been read once, I thought.

On Day Two, I received a cancellation from the seller, saying that listing had been sold two weeks before and should not have been still listed. I asked, You have two other copies for sale...cannot one of those be used as a substitute? He said no, but I could buy one of the $84.50 copies if I wanted. I declined the 1/3 increase in cost, saying that I bought my copy on good faith at $64.50, and while I understood that mistakes happen, it's more important how a business responds to their mistakes...that I would have hoped as a professional bookseller he'd have honored my purchase and price with one of the other copies, even to the point of perhaps doing so automatically without cancellation and my query. He apologized, but didn't change his stance.

I don't know, perhaps I was expecting too much of the seller, and was applying my ethics, what I would have so clearly done as the seller in that same situation, onto someone else.

One Day Three (today), Folio Society announced their Half-Price Sale, and I picked up the John Wyndham three-novel box set, which was effectively cut in half again by the $64.50 I "saved" by the cancellation of MIDAS.

So I guess things worked out okay in the end, though I'm still left a bit irked...but the arrival of the beautiful Wyndham set will I'm sure go a long way to tamping that feeling down.
    Ron I went to Folio so fast, just praying their Cormac McCarthy titles were part of that sale lol andddd of course they weren't 

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    Email sent.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
    I won't mind selling or trading my copy if you wish. I only grabbed it to get the chapbook.
    I don't have any more Thunderstorms that I'm quite ready to let go (though I'll be sure to hit you up for first refusal) at the moment...anything else in particular that you're looking for?

Leave a comment:

• saginawhorror
    replied
    I won't mind selling or trading my copy if you wish. I only grabbed it to get the chapbook.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X