No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While taking some vacation time I found two neat Dick Tracy comic strip paperbacks from 1977 and 1979 at the local comic book shop in Merced, CA. Dick Tracy #1 Meets Angeltop: Flattop's Little Girl written by Max Collins and Dick Tracy #2: Meets the Punks written by Max Collins. Meets the Punks has a damaged corner so I got a slight discount on that paperback. I've seen both of these on eBay, more than once, and have been quite tempted to buy them. I held off until stumbling upon them in Merced last week.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
      While taking some vacation time I found two neat Dick Tracy comic strip paperbacks from 1977 and 1979 at the local comic book shop in Merced, CA. Dick Tracy #1 Meets Angeltop: Flattop's Little Girl written by Max Collins and Dick Tracy #2: Meets the Punks written by Max Collins. Meets the Punks has a damaged corner so I got a slight discount on that paperback. I've seen both of these on eBay, more than once, and have been quite tempted to buy them. I held off until stumbling upon them in Merced last week.

Cap
      Congratulations, it is always nice to add items you covet!

Comment

I just picked up the rare UK hardcover 1st of Gil Brewer's A KILLER IS LOOSE. Joins my full run of his vintage pbs and, as well, the inscribed-to-Harry-Whittington (another vintage, renowned noir/mystery author) hardcover 1st of Brewer's best novel, THE RED SCARF.

I found an on-line shot of the same book, so rather than take a pic of mine I'll be lazy and just post this one:

What? You don't know much about Brewer but are keen to know more? Well then, let me help with that -- here's a great write-up on him by Bill Pronzini, himself an outstanding mystery author:

http://www.mysteryfile.com/GBrewer/FW.html
        Last edited by RonClinton; 02-26-2018, 09:32 PM.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I've been slowly reacquainting myself with certain comic creators that I lost track of when I stopped paying attention to the world of comic books. Finishing certain series that I never finished (like Bone, Astro City, or Y the Last Man, as three examples.)

One creator that I have absolutely loved for years - Terry Moore - is still at it. His amazing Strangers in Paradise stories are starting back up again, and I recently acquired his Echo collection (a series I never read when it was released as individual issues. Another series of his just finished up - Motor Girl - and he was selling a signed and numbered omnibus edition on his website and I couldn't say no.

motorgirlcover.jpg
          In addition to featuring an unique cover (compared to the collection comic stores will have,) you also go a signed print featuring an original drawing.

motorgirlcard.jpg
          While the book itself isn't signed, it did come with a full color signed and numbered bookplate.

What I'm most excited about (and was actually the deciding factor in attending,) is that I'll be seeing him again on Thursday at Emerald City Comic Con. The last time I saw him was back in 1999 or 2000 I believe. So it's been awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            I've been slowly reacquainting myself with certain comic creators that I lost track of when I stopped paying attention to the world of comic books. Finishing certain series that I never finished (like Bone, Astro City, or Y the Last Man, as three examples.)

One creator that I have absolutely loved for years - Terry Moore - is still at it. His amazing Strangers in Paradise stories are starting back up again, and I recently acquired his Echo collection (a series I never read when it was released as individual issues. Another series of his just finished up - Motor Girl - and he was selling a signed and numbered omnibus edition on his website and I couldn't say no.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20499[/ATTACH]
            In addition to featuring an unique cover (compared to the collection comic stores will have,) you also go a signed print featuring an original drawing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20500[/ATTACH]
            While the book itself isn't signed, it did come with a full color signed and numbered bookplate.

What I'm most excited about (and was actually the deciding factor in attending,) is that I'll be seeing him again on Thursday at Emerald City Comic Con. The last time I saw him was back in 1999 or 2000 I believe. So it's been awhile.
            Love that art. Have a good time at ECCC!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Love that art. Have a good time at ECCC!
              I'm excited to go! The last time I went (when I first saw Terry Moore) was before ECCC became a "thing" and it was MUCH smaller and less chaotic (I have opinions about comic conventions . . . and the lack of emphasis on COMICS . . .)

It's going to be a LONG day though - after ECCC, I have a Sounders match to yell at, and then a 4:10am wake up call the next day.

Comment

This makes bookcase #18, I believe. Yes, I have a patient and tolerant wife.

Comment

Today was a good thrift store shopping day. I got four items one of which is The Hittites by O. R. Gurney. It's an ex-library Folio Society book in fine shape. Cost=$1.

Cap
                  Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    This makes bookcase #18, I believe. Yes, I have a patient and tolerant wife.

Very nice! I’ve been looking at adding some new and/or better bookshelves lately, but everything I like is pretty pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      Very nice! I’ve been looking at adding some new and/or better bookshelves lately, but everything I like is pretty pricey.
                      Thrift stores, craigslist, consignment shops!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        Thrift stores, craigslist, consignment shops!!
                        Yep. This particular one was a CL find...others have mostly been bought new, but this is, I think, the fifth or sixth one I've picked up from one of the three listed above. These barrister-style ones don't show up often, so you have to keep an eye out if you're in the market, but they *do* show up.

Comment

Received Centipede Press' newest MASTERS OF THE WEIRD TALE series, this signed/#d volume featuring Arthur J. Burks. Apparently made up primarily of his weird menace tales from the pulps, this MotWT volume is only my third MotWT volume (the others being Karl Edward Wagner and Carl Jacobi) and I'm very excited and pleased to have it. I have Burks' Arkham House collection, BLACK MEDICINE, but this will be a much greater exposure to his work and I'm looking forward to it.

As usual (and particularly with these MotWT volumes), the production quality of this oversized tome is a stunner:

A good deal of the art -- though not all -- is instantly recognizable as by the amazing Lee Brown Coye:

Comment

I wish, I had gotten that Wagner title LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                              I wish, I had gotten that Wagner title LOL!!
                              Yeah, I’ve been pretty selective with these volumes, but am very glad I got the Wagner and the other two. I do kinda wish I’d bought the Frank B. Long, but <shrug>.

Comment

The boys in the warehouse have been busy.

This week I have received:

Two Sleeping Beauties slipcases
                                Two copies of The Listener (because I've reached that point in collecting that even with a list, I still have no idea what I have on order!)
                                My signed limited of Headhunter Reimagined
                                PS's latest edition of The Colorado Kid
                                Shipping notice for The Shining Portfolio

Amazon has also brought:
                                The Sandman by Lars Kepler (heard about this on Twitter - it sounded like a good one)
                                Michelle McNamara (Patton Oswalt's wife who recently passed away)'s I'll Be Gone in the Dark (I really wished that I could have gone to the reading last night, but soccer took priority . . .)
                                Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston (I think this is the GF's since I have zero idea what this is . . .)

Whew!

Comment

Working...
                                X