Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Never heard of renting a TV. I was young but alive in 1980.
    This was in Ireland. Any consumer electronics item was very expensive, and it was typical for most people to rent TVs. We actually used to trade the B&W TV for a Color TV just for the Christmas season It was probably the mid-'80s when my dad actually bought a TV. I think the tax laws changed, and prices dropped.

My friend's father owned the TV store that we all rented from. He was a smart businessman. He had the rental/sales store, and then he saw the VCR coming, and converted half the store to VHS rentals. When he saw the big rental chains coming, he sold off all the VHS tapes and moved to selling computers, etc. When online sales started to rise, he sold the physical store and went into the supply side of the business, running a chain of warehouses. He was very good at seeing trends and not sticking with old business models.

Comment

How interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

This was in Ireland. Any consumer electronics item was very expensive, and it was typical for most people to rent TVs. We actually used to trade the B&W TV for a Color TV just for the Christmas season It was probably the mid-'80s when my dad actually bought a TV. I think the tax laws changed, and prices dropped.

My friend's father owned the TV store that we all rented from. He was a smart businessman. He had the rental/sales store, and then he saw the VCR coming, and converted half the store to VHS rentals. When he saw the big rental chains coming, he sold off all the VHS tapes and moved to selling computers, etc. When online sales started to rise, he sold the physical store and went into the supply side of the business, running a chain of warehouses. He was very good at seeing trends and not sticking with old business models.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I remember TV rentals when I was young. I think it depended on what part of the country you grew up in.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          What no love for Betamax? Still waiting for Sony to try and bring it back.
          When we lived in the Philippines, we had a significant collection of both VHS and Beta tapes. It's too bad Beta didn't get a good foothold in the industry, it is technically a better format.

After I moved back stateside, I'm pretty sure we were the only people with a Betamax machine - I never met anyone who had one, and very few people were even aware of the format

Comment

Parents owned a laserdisc player but I think they bought it at the tale end of the LD high. Almost overnight -it seemed- everyone else owned VHS players and nobody local rented LD's. They had to drive to the adjacent town just to rent discs. Think we owned it less than a year before switching to a VCR.
            When I lived in San Diego, there was a store that rented laserdiscs. Since LD wasn't region locked, they had a ton of discs from Japan so I got my first real introduction to Anime (and finally saw Pulp Fiction for the first time - for whatever reason, there was no domestic LD release of this movie at the time.) Quite a few discs you had to put a pretty good deposit down on due to their costs.

Good times.

Comment

Not a purchase or purchases. These both came in today and both were gifts. One from Suntup and one straight from the Author.

Artist Edition of Replay and signed PB of These I Know by Heart 20th Anniversary Edition by Brian A. Hopkins. Feeling doubly blessed today.

Replay and BAH.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Not a purchase or purchases. These both came in today and both were gifts. One from Suntup and one straight from the Author.

Artist Edition of Replay and signed PB of These I Know by Heart 20th Anniversary Edition by Brian A. Hopkins. Feeling doubly blessed today.

Replay and BAH.jpg
                Congratulations!

Comment

Thank you. I am tickled to have won such a nice book.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Congratulations!

Comment

My copy of Wolfen arrived today. What a nice book. Glad the story got a nice special edition, it deserved it. The movie is not half bad either.

Comment

Probably not the typical fare for the kinds of books we collect, but these arrived the other day - not for my wife, but for me.

Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy:

Book One: The Bear and the Nightingale
                      Bear.jpg

Book Two: The Girl in the Tower
                      Girl.jpg

Book Three: The Winter of the Witch
                      Winter.jpg

Each book also has color matched sprayed edges:
                      IMG_6395.jpg

The quality is probably on par with any trade edition, but I really like how they turned out. I also have signed trade editions from when I met Katherine Arden at Emerald City Comic Con back in 2019. (She also knocked over her water bottle while signing, my books weren't ruined, but I got one hell of a unique inscription!)

I paid about $130 after shipping (from England - shipped on Friday, arrived on Tuesday!) and the eBay prices are already out of their minds. Not sure if any have sold for what people are asking for them, but damn!
                      Attached Files

Comment

^^^ Nice looking set! Great design work there.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          Probably not the typical fare for the kinds of books we collect, but these arrived the other day - not for my wife, but for me.

Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy:

Book One: The Bear and the Nightingale
                          Bear.jpg

Book Two: The Girl in the Tower
                          Girl.jpg

Book Three: The Winter of the Witch
                          Winter.jpg

Each book also has color matched sprayed edges:
                          IMG_6395.jpg

The quality is probably on par with any trade edition, but I really like how they turned out. I also have signed trade editions from when I met Katherine Arden at Emerald City Comic Con back in 2019. (She also knocked over her water bottle while signing, my books weren't ruined, but I got one hell of a unique inscription!)

I paid about $130 after shipping (from England - shipped on Friday, arrived on Tuesday!) and the eBay prices are already out of their minds. Not sure if any have sold for what people are asking for them, but damn!
                          Those really are gorgeous!

Comment

Love sprayed edges.

Comment

Added a 2nd Lettered Edition to my collection. Rick Hautala's Indian Summer letter "M".

Rick holds a special place in my heart. Over the years I had written a little and toyed around with the idea of publishing. I reached out to Rick regarding both multiple times and he was very generous with his time and happy to speak about writing and publishing. He was always pleasant and came across as a genuinely nice person. I miss him and his stories. Very underrated in my opinion.

May he rest in peace.

Indian Summer 2.jpgIndian Summer wout DJ 4.jpgIndian Summer 3 sig.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Nice nod to Hautala — I agree, Rick was a very nice guy, and his work was never flashy, but always dependable and entertaining.
                                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                                X