No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep eyeballing that one too, but like you, just haven't ever pulled the trigger on it.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Folio’s edition of Charles Portis’ TRUE GRIT is the one I keep going back to...have come close to pulling the trigger on it at least a dozen times, and for some reason continue to hold off. Reportedly THE modern Great American Novel, I’ve never read it, though have seen the movie. But the book with its unreliable narrator is supposed to be far richer, nuanced, and more complex than the film, obviously, and deals with themes of coming-of-age, revenge, growing old and obsolescence, etc.…really need to get my hands on this one.

If anyone’s interested in seeing pics of this attractive volume:

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/true-grit.html

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      I keep eyeballing that one too, but like you, just haven't ever pulled the trigger on it.
      I keep hoping for a sale or for one to show up on eBay, but it's been a couple (?) years now since it was offered by Folio and came up on my radar, and neither have come to pass (that I'm aware of). Probably need to give up on that dream and just buy the darn thing.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Based on Sadie Hartmann's review on Cemetery Dance Online, decided to pick-up The Loop by Jeremy Robert Johnson. Received it in the mail yesterday. Pretty cool dustjacket, especially for a trade hardcover. The colors really make it pop. Am excited to give it a go and will probably begin it after finishing Tim Lebbon's "The Silence", which I am currently reading.

Comment

I found a Centipede Press trade paperback, Phantom Lady by Cornell Woolrich, for $7.71. I know the book isn't in perfect condition, at that price I couldn't resist. ~Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I bought too many things, all of which arrived at once.

The Invention of Sound - signed by Palahniuk
            A couple of books from a Labor Day sale
            A couple of books signed by Bradbury
            New Joe Abercrombie
            And my big box of stuff from Cemetery Dance (gotta save on that shipping)

And I'm not even home to open the boxes this weekend...

Comment

On Thursday, I got my first order from VJ Books. They were have a literal fire sale, and they had a few signed 1st Greg Rucka novels that I didn't have, so I picked those up at a pretty fair price after the 40% off coupon.

And then yesterday, my wife's anniversary present arrived.

I bought her a new iPad Pro, a keyboard case, and the new Apple Pencil. Ordered everything from Best Buy. It was shipped on Thursday, and arrived yesterday. UPS placed the box into our secure parcel locker we have at my apartment. When I got home, I decided to give K her presents two weeks early. I cut the tap, open the box and see basically trash has been used for packing material. Scraps of cellophane and the such. And then I realize what I'm looking at. The product boxes, while in the shipment box, are all empty. The iPad was opened, and removed. The keyboard case, opened and removed. The Pencil, opened and removed.

I then realize that the security tape was cut and then retaped with plain packing tape.

I'm beyond PISSED.

Best Buy wasn't super helpful last night when I called - because of the high dollar amount, it has to be reviewed for fraud and they'll get back to me.

$1500. They better make this right.

I also filed a claim with UPS (not sure what that will do.)

Comment

On Thursday, I got my first order from VJ Books. They were have a literal fire sale, and they had a few signed 1st Greg Rucka novels that I didn't have, so I picked those up at a pretty fair price after the 40% off coupon.

And then yesterday, my wife's anniversary present arrived.

I bought her a new iPad Pro, a keyboard case, and the new Apple Pencil. Ordered everything from Best Buy. It was shipped on Thursday, and arrived yesterday. UPS placed the box into our secure parcel locker we have at my apartment. When I got home, I decided to give K her presents two weeks early. I cut the tap, open the box and see basically trash has been used for packing material. Scraps of cellophane and the such. And then I realize what I'm looking at. The product boxes, while in the shipment box, are all empty. The iPad was opened, and removed. The keyboard case, opened and removed. The Pencil, opened and removed.

I then realize that the security tape was cut and then retaped with plain packing tape.

I'm beyond PISSED.

Best Buy wasn't super helpful last night when I called - because of the high dollar amount, it has to be reviewed for fraud and they'll get back to me.

$1500. They better make this right.

I also filed a claim with UPS (not sure what that will do.)
                Wow, Jason! That's horrible. Hopefully they get it sorted for you and Katie will have her gifts on time.

Comment

Honestly, sometimes people just suck. I hope a mass of bad karma tracks them down, which I shouldn't say, I know, but there it is.

Comment

I know these things happen, but I'm still shocked it did happen.

What's strange is that only two people had access to the box before I got it - Best Buy and UPS. So either the Best Buy packer stole everything, or the UPS driver did. If I was to totally guess with zero evidence, it was someone from Best Buy - they knew what was in it. The shipping label doesn't say Best Buy so I don't see how the UPS driver would know.

And then since it gets put into a locked cabinet that only I can access with a code, there isn't anyone else.

Yeah, and people suck.

Comment

Unreal! So sorry that happened to you, Jason. The thing is, no matter who you buy from and what shipping service you use, there are still lots of people between you and the product. Anonymous, imperfect people. And with all the purchasing people do online I'm sure this happens all the time. I hope to god Best Buy makes this right for you. If you have a doorbell camera you can show Best Buy that the box went right into a secure storage container.

Comment

I live in an apartment so no doorbell camera . . . the closest thing I have is the email from our secured package locker that shows UPS delivered the box. (It's like those Amazon lockers you find - I get a text message or notification from an app that says I have a package, and I use the code or the app to open the secured box.)

It's just so frustrating! I really hope Best Buy makes good on it - but it's totally my word and who am I in the grand scheme of things?

Comment

Sorry to hear it, Jason! Rather than waiting on Best Buy’s good graces, I would immediately call your credit card company and alert them, either as a fraud chargeback or they may have some sort of buyer protection program in place for just such a situation. Good luck!
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I live in an apartment so no doorbell camera . . . the closest thing I have is the email from our secured package locker that shows UPS delivered the box. (It's like those Amazon lockers you find - I get a text message or notification from an app that says I have a package, and I use the code or the app to open the secured box.)

It's just so frustrating! I really hope Best Buy makes good on it - but it's totally my word and who am I in the grand scheme of things?
                            So sorry you have to deal with this. I expect Best Buy will take care of you but that does not remove the stress and hassle you have to go through to get taken care of.

Comment

That is absolutely horrible! Someone at that Best Buy better be getting fired, if not arrested!

Comment

You're a great dude is who you are. You and Katie both. Well, she's not a dude but you get the picture

I put a $50 bill in a card for my nephew once and it was stolen by the postman in his area. Turns out, the guy had been taking a lot of money and gift cards from greeting cards and they were watching him for awhile to build a case. I think he was ordered to pay restitution but I don't recall my nephew nor I ever seeing the money. I know, I know. Shouldn't put cash in the mail

Comment

Working...
                                X