No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theli and Dave: Glad I could help, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Happy reading!
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      I'm not familiar with many, if any, true crime graphic novels. Though if an interesting one came along I'd be all over it. I'm a huge fan of Brubaker/Phillips's Criminal series. I also quite like David Lapham's Stray Bullets.

The only true crime novel I've read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very stirring.
      Torso by Brian Michael Bendis appears to fit the bill. I did see on eBay last evening at least one other true crime graphic novel. Don't recall the title right now. ~Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is,
        An update to this: My curiousity got the best of me and I emailed them to try and find out the limitation...for those interested, this is what I was told: "We printed 2,000 copies, but it is a one-time print run, so once these copies are gone, there won’t ever be any new ones made."

So there you go: 2000 limitation. More than I would have anticipated, given that the box is touted as "handmade," but probably helps account for the modest price, since as we all know volume drives down costs.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
          Torso by Brian Michael Bendis appears to fit the bill. I did see on eBay last evening at least one other true crime graphic novel. Don't recall the title right now. ~Cap
          I was vaguely aware of this one, though I didn't know it was true crime. I may need to look into it.

An update to this: My curiousity got the best of me and I emailed them to try and find out the limitation...for those interested, this is what I was told: "We printed 2,000 copies, but it is a one-time print run, so once these copies are gone, there won’t ever be any new ones made."

So there you go: 2000 limitation. More than I would have anticipated, given that the box is touted as "handmade," but probably helps account for the modest price, since as we all know volume drives down costs.
          Thanks for the info. I agree 2000 seems more than I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I'm buying it for the product not the limitation. The price is more than fair.

Maybe by handmade they mean they just folded it into shape, like working in a box factory!

Comment

Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots... It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:
            That is really cool, Ron!

Comment

I was vaguely aware of this one, though I didn't know it was true crime. I may need to look into it.

Thanks for the info. I agree 2000 seems more than I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I'm buying it for the product not the limitation. The price is more than fair.

Maybe by handmade they mean they just folded it into shape, like working in a box factory!
              Tonight I took a closer look at Torso by Brian Michael Bendis. While it does have some elements of true crime and is advertised as a true crime graphic novel--It technically (IMO) is not a true crime graphic novel. If you would look Theli, I'd welcome your opinion.
              Union Station by Ande Parks and Eduardo Barreto is the real deal and is now on my to buy list.

Cap

Comment

I did purchase Union Station by Ande Parks and Eduardo Barreto. I got a super deal! I stumbled across some Gold Medal paperbacks billed as true crime. They are about classic murder trials. See the image I've included of one cover. ~Cap gmtc1.jpg

Comment

Fantastic cover art.

Comment

As a Gold Medal fan, I was going to suggest these true crime/trial editions, but didn't know how easy they would be to find. Glad you picked one up, and hope you enjoy it.

Comment

There's a book store near me that is just loaded with old vintage PBs. Unfortunately not too much in the horror vein (though lots of the Zebra era). Might need to scour for some of these too. Always fun digging up old gems.

Comment

There's a book store near me that is just loaded with old vintage PBs. Unfortunately not too much in the horror vein (though lots of the Zebra era). Might need to scour for some of these too. Always fun digging up old gems.
                        I wish I had a used bookstore like that near me… I have to do all my '50s and '60s vintage paperback scouring on eBay.

Comment

As a Gold Medal fan, I was going to suggest these true crime/trial editions, but didn't know how easy they would be to find. Glad you picked one up, and hope you enjoy it.
                          I am only looking at the Gold Medal true crime/trial editions. I just learned about them early Tuesday am. ~Cap

Comment

I wish I had a used bookstore like that near me… I have to do all my '50s and '60s vintage paperback scouring on eBay.
                            Well if there is ever anything you are looking for let me know. They're pretty cheap too, normally $4-5.

Comment

Thanks, Theli...nothing leaps to mind (I have pretty full runs of all my favorite vintage authors), but if something does, I'll be sure to let you know.

Comment

Arrived yesterday: The S/L Graveyard Edition of Bentley Little's THE HANDYMAN. Very much looking forward to reading this one, as Little is a longtime favorite of mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X