No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the book itself, I finished it over the last two nights, and it's just as good as you've likely heard...for those of us who've been reading the genre for a long while (me: 30 years) and were there in the '80s boom and the '90s bust, it's a bittersweet stroll down memory lane. For those who are new to it all, it'll be a great introduction to what many of us Old Timers think of as the Good 'Ol Days, when bookstores proliferated and horror pbos in all their silver foil glory stared up at us on shelves everywhere. My only complaint is that it's not longer...hopefully there'll be a sequel down the road.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Got tired of my To Be Read (TBR) pile(s) being stacked up three different piles on the floor in my otherwise organized and clean office/library...too damn messy and seemed like unsightly testaments to my lack of restraint.

While it's still abundantly clear I have far too many books in my TBR pile and have no cause to buy new books (and yet, of course, I will ), especially given my reduced reading time of late -- at least now they're organized and all together in one spot (though I still had to put a small pile on the side on the floor...oh well). Cheap DVD tower only cost $40 today, but pays big dividends in organizational peace of mind.

Comment

I've given in completely to audiobooks, Ron. Otherwise, it'd be an endless battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
          I've given in completely to audiobooks, Ron. Otherwise, it'd be an endless battle.
          Been really enjoying audiobooks lately. I have always enjoyed short stories on audio but I always preferred full length novels be read over listened to. I have been listening to full length novels over the last few months and find myself wondering why I resisted this for so long. With that said I still love the feel of a book in my hands will not stop reading physical books.

Comment

I never met him, but the author is usenet/internet friend of mine going back to 1990. He also published a Kabbalah book. Currently he is writing a book about Dante's Inferno. I always buy books by my friend's. Anything Colin writes is truly a keeper.

Comment

I got About The Murder Of The Circus Queen by Anthony Abbott (A vintage paperback) and Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired by Alcatraz by David James Keaton-Editor and Joe Clifford-Editor. I usually like true crime paperbacks or graphic novels. I couldn't resist this fiction anthology.

Cap
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                I got About The Murder Of The Circus Queen by Anthony Abbott (A vintage paperback) and Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired by Alcatraz by David James Keaton-Editor and Joe Clifford-Editor. I usually like true crime paperbacks or graphic novels. I couldn't resist this fiction anthology.

Cap
                They both sound cool.

Comment

Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots...

It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

H. F. Arnold
                  Dennis Etchison
                  Adam Corbin Fusco
                  W. F. Harvey
                  Arthur Machen
                  George R. R. Martin
                  Richard Matheson
                  Michael Reaves
                  Al Sarrantonio
                  Clark Ashton Smith
                  Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I don't typically go for projects like this that border on the gimmicky, but based on pics I had seen and the list of authors selected I made an exception in this case and I'm extremely glad I did. The production values, the conceptual design and attention to detail, of this thing is off the chart for the price paid. The promotional material describe it thusly: *"Each handmade box features a matte-black finish, an iridescent colour-shifting foil stamp on top, and a magnetized lid. The booklets have debossed design details and are bound with brass staples." It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is, but it is at its core a work of mass-market art by a duo of publishing-design artists (https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/publisher/ ).

The box is about the size of a standard paperback:

Once open, there is a complementary design of the cover blocks underneath the lid, and a short note from Patton Oswalt, editor and comedian (and horror fiction fan), atop the chapbooks:

Small details like a cutout to lift up the chapbooks out of the box attest to the thoughtful quality imbued in this item:

Inside are eleven chapbooks, each and every one in my mind a winner...very much looking forward to reading both those I've read before and those I've not. In addition, a poem penned by Lovecraft is pasted on the bottom of the box, thus offering a total of twelve different works. From a collector and Matheson fan standpoint, I'm particularly thrilled to actually have a chapbook of Matheson's titular story from his debut collection:

The publisher's exemplary production qualities continue in the page design, generous margin spacing, and style and size of font selected, offering a comfortable reading experience:

All of this for just over $30, once the Canadian-to-US-dollar conversion is factored in. It's a deal at twice the price. If you want your own GHOST BOX, the page for it is here:

https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/store/the-ghost-box

Comment

Unlike you, Ron, I'm definitely sold on gimmicky things. That's why I love William Castle! Well you just made a new customer for Hingston and Olsen. This looks great. I can't wait. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots...

It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

H. F. Arnold
                      Dennis Etchison
                      Adam Corbin Fusco
                      W. F. Harvey
                      Arthur Machen
                      George R. R. Martin
                      Richard Matheson
                      Michael Reaves
                      Al Sarrantonio
                      Clark Ashton Smith
                      Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I don't typically go for projects like this that border on the gimmicky, but based on pics I had seen and the list of authors selected I made an exception in this case and I'm extremely glad I did. The production values, the conceptual design and attention to detail, of this thing is off the chart for the price paid. The promotional material describe it thusly: *"Each handmade box features a matte-black finish, an iridescent colour-shifting foil stamp on top, and a magnetized lid. The booklets have debossed design details and are bound with brass staples." It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is, but it is at its core a work of mass-market art by a duo of publishing-design artists (https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/publisher/ ).

The box is about the size of a standard paperback:

Once open, there is a complementary design of the cover blocks underneath the lid, and a short note from Patton Oswalt, editor and comedian (and horror fiction fan), atop the chapbooks:

Small details like a cutout to lift up the chapbooks out of the box attest to the thoughtful quality imbued in this item:

Inside are eleven chapbooks, each and every one in my mind a winner...very much looking forward to reading both those I've read before and those I've not. In addition, a poem penned by Lovecraft is pasted on the bottom of the box, thus offering a total of twelve different works. From a collector and Matheson fan standpoint, I'm particularly thrilled to actually have a chapbook of Matheson's titular story from his debut collection:

The publisher's exemplary production qualities continue in the page design, generous margin spacing, and style and size of font selected, offering a comfortable reading experience:

All of this for just over $30, once the Canadian-to-US-dollar conversion is factored in. It's a deal at twice the price. If you want your own GHOST BOX, the page for it is here:

That is fantastic!

Comment

That is really sweet, Ron. Thanks for the pics!
                        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing the ordering info as well!
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            They both sound cool.
                            I made a boo boo with my post. What I should have said is I like crime fiction trade paperbacks. True crime graphic novels/trade paperbacks or hard to find. I only have one-Green River Killer: A True Detective Story by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case. I have seen vintage true crime paperbacks on eBay-Have yet to buy one.

Cap
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Thanks, those look awesome! I just ordered it

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                                I made a boo boo with my post. What I should have said is I like crime fiction trade paperbacks. True crime graphic novels/trade paperbacks or hard to find. I only have one-Green River Killer: A True Detective Story by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case. I have seen vintage true crime paperbacks on eBay-Have yet to buy one.

Cap
                                I'm not familiar with many, if any, true crime graphic novels. Though if an interesting one came along I'd be all over it. I'm a huge fan of Brubaker/Phillips's Criminal series. I also quite like David Lapham's Stray Bullets.

The only true crime novel I've read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very stirring.

Comment

Working...
                                X