No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked these up today. It was kind of sad looking through Dark Dreamers, seeing how many folks had passed away, especially recently.
    IMG_0545.jpg

Comment

Nice additions, Mike and TacomaDiver. I'm a huge Alan Moore fan, probably my favourite comic book author. I keep debating about picking up that book, even just to get s/l of his, but the budgets a bit tighter with the Canadian dollar so low. Plus there are so many great books out there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
        Nice additions, Mike and TacomaDiver. I'm a huge Alan Moore fan, probably my favourite comic book author. I keep debating about picking up that book, even just to get s/l of his, but the budgets a bit tighter with the Canadian dollar so low. Plus there are so many great books out there right now.
        I ordered the Alan Moore book with CD's sale today.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          Same here. I wasn't completely sold at retail price as I find Moore tends to be hit or miss for me, but at half off, I couldn't NOT pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
            Same here. I wasn't completely sold at retail price as I find Moore tends to be hit or miss for me, but at half off, I couldn't NOT pick it up.
            Sub Press was selling it for 50% off too right after they announced it, of course I already had it preordered. 50% off is a killer deal for pretty much any book, but a chance to get Alan Moore's signature on one of his works is priceless (to me.)

The first chapter was ROUGH. The language was really difficult to get through, and of course it is one of the longest chapters in the book. I think it would have been easier to read if I had read it out loud, but I doubt the other commuters on my train would have enjoyed hearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              Sub Press was selling it for 50% off too right after they announced it, of course I already had it preordered. 50% off is a killer deal for pretty much any book, but a chance to get Alan Moore's signature on one of his works is priceless (to me.)

The first chapter was ROUGH. The language was really difficult to get through, and of course it is one of the longest chapters in the book. I think it would have been easier to read if I had read it out loud, but I doubt the other commuters on my train would have enjoyed hearing it.
              I am not familiar with Moore's work at all. I am ordering this one blind.

Comment

I am not familiar with Moore's work at all. I am ordering this one blind.
                This is his only novel (well, there is the million word epic Jerusalem coming out eventually.) If you've seen the movies Watchmen, From Hell, or V For Vendetta, then you know a little bit about him. The comics are of course MUCH better than the movies (although Watchmen was pretty decent.) The dude is smart and has probably forgotten more than I've ever learned about most everything.

After struggling through the first chapter, I'm anxious to see how all of the other stories connect and how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  After struggling through the first chapter, I'm anxious to see how all of the other stories connect and how it turns out.
                  Congratulations, you're through the most difficult part and that's an accomplishment. Although I'm willing to bet when it's all said and done you look back quite fondly on that first chapter. The books is an amazing work, worthy of the rest of his catalog, but certainly challenging.
                  “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                  -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

My latest--the publisher's letter for the HC Advance Reader Copy of Finders Keepers:

Front

Back

John

Comment

Between Amazon and Half Price Books, I got some fun new ones day.

First, the new Author's Preferred Text of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and then a book I hadn't ever heard of before, but it looked interesting (popped up while I was buying the GF a box set of some other book series) - The Red by Linda Nagata.
                      FullSizeRender.jpg

And then the HPB purchases - I've read both of these, but the price was right and the condition was great. Plus the cover to The Shining Girls is really cool (figured out later that it's a UK edition.) Lauren Beukes's The Shining Girls and Broken Monsters.
                      FullSizeRender-1.jpg

And lastly an eBay purchase. I was bidding for the HC collection but ultimately stepped away because the price got to be a bit more than I was comfortable for (in comparison to what the cover prices are for the current printings of the paperback editions,) but stumbled upon a sweet BIN price for the paperbacks (that ended up being first printings. The Best of Cemetery Dance Volumes 1 and 2.
                      FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Comment

Hi All!
                        No pictures yet, but I picked up Joe Abercrombie's Half A War and John Gwynne's Ruin yesterday. Great fantasy!

Comment

The new, upcoming edition (October 2015) of Beahm's SK Companion proof:

And the publisher's letter:

John

Comment

Had a few arrivals this week, these are the pick of them.
                            'Desperation' and 'The Regulators', with book light.
                            A beautiful signed 1st of 'Firestarter', and 'Tales of the Supernatural', from the mighty Ghost Story Press - they only published thirteen books, the majority of them reprints from the early 1900's. Very nice productions, with fascinating introductions. I need four more to complete the set.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very, very nice, Lincoln!

John

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                                Hi All!
                                No pictures yet, but I picked up Joe Abercrombie's Half A War and John Gwynne's Ruin yesterday. Great fantasy!
                                I look forward to seeing which copies you received.

Nice additions Lincoln, I've never heard of Ghost Story Press.

Congrats on another cool proof John!

Comment

Working...
                                X