Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
    Buying on Abebooks doesn't guarantee cheapness, there are a lot of overpriced items on there and the uninformed can easily be taken to the cleaners.
    I know what you mean - for used paperbacks of harder to find titles though - it's usually a pretty good deal - a couple $ per book plus minimal, or free shipping.

Comment

That's true. Good place to find the hard to find. I like to try to contact the seller directly if they have a website of their own and try to get a lower price than listed on Abe. Something I learned recently is that they (the sellers) are charged to list their items and then again through a commission of each sale. I saved $50 recently on a s/l that I got by doing the sale through their website.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out - I may look into that.

Comment

I almost never pay the listed price of a book on ABE. I always make contact with the seller to work out a deal. I got one item--King's signed contest manuscript of "The Two Dead Girls" for a 35% discount from the listed price.

John

Comment

IMG_0315.jpg
            IMG_0316.jpg

Back from the Yard Sales. stopped by a flea market and picked up some intersting titles and some antique lawn chars that my wife will have me sanding and painting next wekend LOL!! Lots of interesting WWI titles and a 1st of John Connolly's Every Dead Thing. Totally invest $11.00. Not a bad haul. Hope Y'all have a great weekend.
            Mike

Comment

$11.00 for me would have a trip to the movies. But not in 3D or IMAX. Nice haul, Mike.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Not bad for $11. Love yard sales and flea markets.

Comment

Thanks! I'll probably pass some these on to my brother. Hope Y'all have luck.
                  Mike

Comment

Yard sales are a great place to find books for cheap. Last summer I checked out one that had probably at least 10, brand new condition Koontz books, for $2 ea I think.....I didn't grab any though.

This weekend I brought in some books to a local used book shop and got credit for them and used that to buy: Storm of the Century by King (it's a screenplay book???), picked up what I think is 1st ed hardcover of Insomnia also, and Misery.

I found some more books I probably running down there today after work and see if there is anything else that tickles my fancy. Anything they don't buy I will probably try to sell at a yard sale, or donate.

Comment

Yes the Storm of the Century is a screenplay book. book It was sold through the Book of the Month Club. I don't think that there was a regular trade edition published. It is just as hard to read as it was to watch.I mean that in a good way.
                      Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                      Yard sales are a great place to find books for cheap. Last summer I checked out one that had probably at least 10, brand new condition Koontz books, for $2 ea I think.....I didn't grab any though.

This weekend I brought in some books to a local used book shop and got credit for them and used that to buy: Storm of the Century by King (it's a screenplay book???), picked up what I think is 1st ed hardcover of Insomnia also, and Misery.

I found some more books I probably running down there today after work and see if there is anything else that tickles my fancy. Anything they don't buy I will probably try to sell at a yard sale, or donate.

Comment

It's pretty crazy now in that I've accumulated so many books the last couple weeks (not including the ones my wife grabbed - a bunch of Robin Cook hardcovers, plus Tell No One by Harlen Coben, and Betrayal of Trust by J A Jance), plus with more to trade in and the pre-orders I have...... LOL. Plus the 2 I just ordered of AbeBooks!

Good thing is though, I can keep my credit on file at the used book store for future, and I have some hard to find titles I am looking for, and holding out hope they may get them. The owner told me they take in about 500 books/week (I think), or maybe it was per month.
                        Last edited by TJCams; 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

If I remember correctly the hardcover of Storm of the Century was a book club edition and a paperback with the same trim size was the trade edition.
                          Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          Yes the Storm of the Century is a screenplay book. book It was sold through the Book of the Month Club. I don't think that there was a regular trade edition published. It is just as hard to read as it was to watch.I mean that in a good way.

Comment

Ah. I did not know that there was a paper back edition of this book. Still a creepy read.

Comment

Interesting, I'll have to keep my eye out for the bookclub edition. Nice grabs TJ!

Comment

Never seen a paperback edition of Storm of the Century, didn't even know there was one. I picked up a copy of the HC edition at a Half-Price Books store that was a couple minutes drive from where I used to live. Haven't read it yet, and don't know if I even will, but I wanted to get it since it was in like new condition and King HC I didn't have yet, lol. Got Secret Windows from the same location I think, which was another Book of the Month Club release. Never saw that title at a Half Price after that, and every time I have randomly seen in on eBay it was being sold for a good amount more than I paid for my copy (somewhere around $6 I think). That was another one I had to get because it was a King HC I didn't have, lol. I think I am more likely to read that one though, as I don't know how much I care for reading screenplays.
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X