X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I know, right? Maybe nostalgia factor for someone or a completist. I remember skimming that edition when I was a eight or nine and would spend every afternoon in our town's TINY library.
    The Shining was the first SK book I ever purchased, back in the early '80s. It's pretty beat up too, but I still have it.

P1090387.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Yeah, I'm watching it on ebay...and still more than four days left!

I don't get The Shining either. It's a pretty beat up copy.
    I know, right? Maybe nostalgia factor for someone or a completist. I remember skimming that edition when I was a eight or nine and would spend every afternoon in our town's TINY library.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Now it's up to $365!

Can I just point out that someone has bid up THE SHINING paperback up to $24.50? Is there something I'm missing here?
    Yeah, I'm watching it on ebay...and still more than four days left!

I don't get The Shining either. It's a pretty beat up copy.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

I saw that. It was at around $85 when I saw it. I bid up to $130 before quitting, and it's at $147.50 right now. I'll pass!
    Now it's up to $365!

Can I just point out that someone has bid up THE SHINING paperback up to $24.50? Is there something I'm missing here?

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Part of it is reach. The other part that goes hand in hand with reach is that it puts eyes on the listings that wouldn't typically look at eBay. They may not necessarily know what something usually would go for and can't be bothered to do the research.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Maybe it's just the items I'm interested in that sell way high then.

For instance, the only current listing I'm watching is the ARCs of AS TIMELESS AS INFINITY. That auction is already over $100. Woe is me.
    The hot items definitely go very high. I believe that is directly related to their reach. Items can be had at value but if an item is hot you will see it go above what other sellers are getting. Regarding the mis-spelling, There was a time that I could find some nice items by the Steven King guy. eBay now searches Stephen King when you enter Steven King so that no longer works.

Leave a comment:

• Marmaduke Grigsby
    replied
    Maybe it's just the items I'm interested in that sell way high then.

For instance, the only current listing I'm watching is the ARCs of AS TIMELESS AS INFINITY. That auction is already over $100. Woe is me.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

Yeah, CD's eBay auctions always seem to go way above usual market prices. Confidence in the seller, I suppose. Good for CD, bad for those of us who are interested in some of their items.
    Well, this is a sought-after book. I picked up a mint signed copy of The Golden for $30 in the last round of CD auctions, so no complaints here. I think the higher selling prices are due to the large audience that see the auctions all at the same time. I've picked up some books from other sellers where tiles or authors were misspelled, so unless you were browsing by category/price, you'd never notice them.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Yeah, CD's eBay auctions always seem to go way above usual market prices. Confidence in the seller, I suppose. Good for CD, bad for those of us who are interested in some of their items.
    Not always, I recently received an older signed Matheson novel for $9.99, brand new.

Leave a comment:

• Marmaduke Grigsby
    replied

I saw that. It was at around $85 when I saw it. I bid up to $130 before quitting, and it's at $147.50 right now. I'll pass!
    Yeah, CD's eBay auctions always seem to go way above usual market prices. Confidence in the seller, I suppose.
    Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 07-22-2020, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    It felt like Gideon had sold out in record time. The demand for that edition is HUGE right now!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Cemetery Dance has one up for auction currently. Looks like the price may go high but it is worth checking out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Signed-Limi...s/154015665078

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Yes, I should have bought Gideon the Ninth when it was released. I hadn't read it at the time, and wasn't sure if it was something I'd really be interested in. By the time I read it, and really enjoyed it, too late!

I'm running out of shelf space yet again, so I shouldn't be buying everything in sight. I have 38 books on order right now.
    Cemetery Dance has one up for auction currently. Looks like the price may go high but it is worth checking out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Signed-Limi...s/154015665078

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    I recently sold copies of Swan Song and Boy's Life for triple what I paid. Hell, copies of Gideon the Ninth are going for more than 5x issue price, and that's only been out for like two months. Issue price and age have very little to do with price if it's a hot book.
    Yes, I should have bought Gideon the Ninth when it was released. I hadn't read it at the time, and wasn't sure if it was something I'd really be interested in. By the time I read it, and really enjoyed it, too late!

I'm running out of shelf space yet again, so I shouldn't be buying everything in sight. I have 38 books on order right now.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Holy Cow!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X