Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I'm not very familiar with Klein, but isn't that title a short story/novella? I'm sure it'll be a very exquisite edition, but it'll also cost significantly more than Jerad's retail price, given that the 100 print run will pretty much account for the subscribers and leave everyone else with aftermarket prices.

​​​​​
    Are there really close to 100 subscribers? I didn’t know there was that many.

As for the Klein book, this is like top tier Need To Have for me as I love Klein’s work…but that price point. OUCH. I’m gonna need to sell a freaking kidney or something. Like Splync mentions the aftermarket for this is probably gonna be bonkers so if I don’t get it right out the gate, I’ll probably never be able to get it. Not fun.

I’m excited for the titles in today’s list, but, man, that’s a tough six months to swallow with DUNE, CHILDREN, new MotWT. Heck, even the “cheaper” books are $85.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Some interesting titles coming up...I see at least a few I need. The only disappointment within those I'd need is the price of the letterpress Klein...that's far more than I'd anticipated, and will likely be a Centipede Press book that I'd really like but just simply can't afford. I've been able to balance cost and need pretty successfully up 'til now -- justifying splurges and/or talking myself out of book(s) that I'd like but don't need -- but this one I need but simply can't justify the price to myself, not with a 1st ed. HC on my shelf already and PS promising at some point down the road a signed/ltd. HC to match THE CEREMONIES. I do think it's pretty damn cool that Jerad is doing a high-quality letterpress edition of it in a very small (100) limitation -- it's neat to see stuff like that be done -- but it will likely remain something I'll have to appreciate from afar.
      Come on, go broke with me! I’ll need to explain that purchase to my wife. “I mean, RonClinton on the CD forum got one too…”

Yeah…you’re a great guy, RC, but I don’t know if my wife will buy that line from me. Maybe I’ll also need Splync to buy one AND Jeff to do an unboxing video as well…

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Come on, go broke with me! I’ll need to explain that purchase to my wife. “I mean, RonClinton on the CD forum got one too…”

Yeah…you’re a great guy, RC, but I don’t know if my wife will buy that line from me. Maybe I’ll also need Splync to buy one AND Jeff to do an unboxing video as well…
        Safety in numbers, hm? I don’t know if that’s going to be a feasible defense against a $700 blowback…
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Are there really close to 100 subscribers? I didn’t know there was that many.

As for the Klein book, this is like top tier Need To Have for me as I love Klein’s work…but that price point. OUCH. I’m gonna need to sell a freaking kidney or something. Like Splync mentions the aftermarket for this is probably gonna be bonkers so if I don’t get it right out the gate, I’ll probably never be able to get it. Not fun.

I’m excited for the titles in today’s list, but, man, that’s a tough six months to swallow with DUNE, CHILDREN, new MotWT. Heck, even the “cheaper” books are $85.
          I'm not sure how many subscribers there are total, but someone pointed out in the Centipede Facebook group that the previous title limited to 100 copies (Girl in a Swing) never made it to the general public.

I imagine that there may have been a presale list for that title, but it probably went VERY quickly.

Comment

I'm not sure how many subscribers there are total, but someone pointed out in the Centipede Facebook group that the previous title limited to 100 copies (Girl in a Swing) never made it to the general public.

I imagine that there may have been a presale list for that title, but it probably went VERY quickly.
            I don’t think that’s correct…I seem to remember receiving the public newsletter about it and wavering and debating on the spot whether or not I should order it. The price finally scared me off, but I do recall having the opportunity to buy it and I’m not a subscriber, nor do I remember it being a presale list…just the usual newsletter.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Centipede is weird, there are multiple levels of "presale lists" which include the newsletter. Often, though not always, links to books in the newsletter aren't available on the main page.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                Centipede is weird, there are multiple levels of "presale lists" which include the newsletter. Often, though not always, links to books in the newsletter aren't available on the main page.
                Jerad did say that keeping track of all the pre-orders was taking up too much of his time, and that Dune would be the last book to have pre-orders. I would assume that subscribers would still have first dibs on any new books, but mostly it's going to be first-come, first-served once books are announced with an order link in the newsletter.

Comment

Yeah, it is a bit eclectic, isn't it? I don't know how he keeps it straight, honestly, but- he seems to: I've been a customer since the beginning, and while I'm not a subscriber- I am very happy with the system that Jerad has kept me on. I get how it may be tough(er) for newer folks, though, to get the books they want.

Comment

Safety in numbers, hm? I don’t know if that’s going to be a feasible defense against a $700 blowback…
                    Yeah, I don’t think it’ll work either. Back to selling a kidney, I guess.

Comment

I agree, but I do think that Centipede is pretty open with their communication about preorders. I never feel “out of loop”, so to speak.

I actually really appreciate the trend of publishers being open about upcoming books or at least when a book will be announced. Suntup and Centipede are very clear about their plans and so is Thunderstorm if you have access to The Clubhouse. It makes budgeting so much easier.

Comment

I don’t think that’s correct…I seem to remember receiving the public newsletter about it and wavering and debating on the spot whether or not I should order it. The price finally scared me off, but I do recall having the opportunity to buy it and I’m not a subscriber, nor do I remember it being a presale list…just the usual newsletter.
                        I was able to purchase this right from the site when it went on sale and I wasn't a subscriber.

Comment

I've never understood Centipede. Rarely, almost never, do I know about a book until it's too late. To be honest though I am not the normal customer either. Often I cannot afford his titles but I sure love looking at the pictures of them.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I've always had the impression Jerad would be happiest if he could just work on the design and production of books and not have to worry about the business aspect of it, which is why everything on the customer side always has an ad hoc feel to it. I also suspect Dune was the last straw for him in terms of maintaining a "preorder interest" list due to all the delays the book has seen, the ramping up of interest due to the new movie, and the way small press limited edition books have exploded in popularity (and value); he's been getting emails about it for years now.

Comment

I've always had the impression Jerad would be happiest if he could just work on the design and production of books and not have to worry about the business aspect of it, which is why everything on the customer side always has an ad hoc feel to it. I also suspect Dune was the last straw for him in terms of maintaining a "preorder interest" list due to all the delays the book has seen, the ramping up of interest due to the new movie, and the way small press limited edition books have exploded in popularity (and value); he's been getting emails about it for years now.
                              I think this is probably true of most people who get into publishing, especially the small press. Most are probably book lovers who got into the business of publishing books and were not business professionals looking for the next big opportunity. And honestly, I don't blame them for enjoying the acquisition and production side more than the business side. The first side sounds like a lot more fun and creative than dealing with everything else that a business entails, including dealing with us, the consumer.

Comment

The Spear by James Herbert. Grab it fast if you are interested.

http://www.centipedepress.com/horror/spear.html
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X