No announcement yet.

Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was able to snag a hardcover limited edition of Jack Ketchum's "Ladies Night" via the John Pelan offerings on the Centipede scratch and dent page. Am very excited as this will fill one of the holes in my Ketchum collection. Now if only I could find a hardcover copy of "Right to Life"!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I used to be a far bigger fan than I am these days, some decades removed from when he was on my Must Read list, so haven't picked up anything new for quite a long time. For me, I still see BOOKS OF BLOOD as the seminal work of his career -- one that has stood the test of time well -- even though it was his debut work, but then again I wasn't as nearly as much of a fan -- and even less so these days -- of his more fantastical work...I really prefer that early horror that put him on the map. That, though, obviously says more about my own preferences than the value of any particular work of his.
      Hey Ron, I read your column last night on the BOOKS OF BLOOD with great interest. Love these deep dives you do on landmark books and publishers, and, you usually manage to do something in them that I seem to rarely get anymore in my older, info-jaded, salty years - you show me stuff I didn't know. Man, I appreciate that. There were a few things in this one I found extra illuminating (including Pete Atkins admission of being less than pleased with the Stealth limited bindings- like myself, and Bill Schafer's close affinity and intention with the books), but one of the ones I wanted to thank you for was the note on a Jeff Conner (of Scream Press fame) interview that had eluded me. I'm a big fan of all things Scream, and I've just ordered that magazine and eagerly await that read, even if it is several years old now. Also, damnit, you've put my radar back on the Subpress BOB set, which I've thus far successfully managed to pretend didn't exist, as it came out just a hair too pricey for me at the time, and hasn't gotten any cheaper, that's for sure.

Anyway, another good one! Can't wait to see what you write about next.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Hey Ron, I read your column last night on the BOOKS OF BLOOD with great interest. Love these deep dives you do on landmark books and publishers, and, you usually manage to do something in them that I seem to rarely get anymore in my older, info-jaded, salty years - you show me stuff I didn't know. Man, I appreciate that. There were a few things in this one I found extra illuminating (including Pete Atkins admission of being less than pleased with the Stealth limited bindings- like myself, and Bill Schafer's close affinity and intention with the books), but one of the ones I wanted to thank you for was the note on a Jeff Conner (of Scream Press fame) interview that had eluded me. I'm a big fan of all things Scream, and I've just ordered that magazine and eagerly await that read, even if it is several years old now. Also, damnit, you've put my radar back on the Subpress BOB set, which I've thus far successfully managed to pretend didn't exist, as it came out just a hair too pricey for me at the time, and hasn't gotten any cheaper, that's for sure.

Anyway, another good one! Can't wait to see what you write about next.
        Ron S., thanks for the very kind words, and am really glad you enjoyed it and, like me, learned a few things you hadn’t known before. I try to cast as wide a net as I can, which always seems to uncover interesting nuggets. The next piece (submitted earlier this month, in fact) had a huge net, with well over a dozen interviews and a final word count that is three times the BOOKS OF BLOOD article.

By the way, my BOOKS OF BLOOD piece would have had an original interview with Scream Press’ Jeff Conner rather than selected quotes from a previous one, but after agreeing to an interview...well, it didn’t happen, which was unfortunate.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Received my PKD set from Centipede today. As to be expected by Centipede, it's a really nice set. The cover to DR. FUTURITY is my least favorite of the three, but it grows on me more and more. The covers for the other two are just fantastic. The slipcase is standard Centipede slipcase, so very nice and sturdy. These are going for $600+ on eBay right now, which is just crazy. As I've previously posted, I haven't read that much PKD in the past--maybe a short story or two?--so I'm looking forward to digging into these

Comment

I also received WEIRD FICTION REVIEW No. 11. I am very tempted to jump straight to Ron's article on Barker's BOOKS OF BLOOD. How does everyone approach reading these? Do you skip around to what you want to read first? Read it straight through cover to cover?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I also received WEIRD FICTION REVIEW No. 11. I am very tempted to jump straight to Ron's article on Barker's BOOKS OF BLOOD. How does everyone approach reading these? Do you skip around to what you want to read first? Read it straight through cover to cover?
              I skip around for sure. I went to the end and Read John Pelan's piece.

Comment

I skip around and read pieces between books.

Comment

I read it straight through, but I tend to read a few articles/stories and then go read something else for a while, so it usually takes me a few days to get through it.

I really enjoyed Ron's article. Lots of new-to-me info there, and I found it very interesting.

Books of Blood were Barker's highlight, for me. I know I read a few of his other books at some point, but was never that into them. I still have the six BoB paperbacks that I bought when they first came out.

Comment

Received my PKD set from Centipede today. As to be expected by Centipede, it's a really nice set. The cover to DR. FUTURITY is my least favorite of the three, but it grows on me more and more. The covers for the other two are just fantastic. The slipcase is standard Centipede slipcase, so very nice and sturdy. These are going for $600+ on eBay right now, which is just crazy. As I've previously posted, I haven't read that much PKD in the past--maybe a short story or two?--so I'm looking forward to digging into these

Received my PKD set today…an outstanding production, as always. Exciting to hear a second set of PKD works is a strong likelihood, according to the Centipede newsletter.

Comment

I guess I'll put this here, but it could go in any one of many of the threads in the Other Publisher's Books section of these forums: Is it just me or has there been a veritable plethora of book presales launching the past week or so? I mean, I know the collectible market has been on fire, and publishers are scrambling to run with that, but, man- my head is spinning, and my wallet is on fire! Centipede, Subpress, Earthling, Thunderstrom, Tartarus, Suntup, to name but a few, all dropping (mostly) $75 and up book preorders, all at once. In some cases, twice from the same publisher. It's getting a bit crowded- and just too damn expensive to keep collecting these days. In fact, I think CD is the only pub NOT vying for my money this week (thank you for that small favor, guys). Just venting a little bit, but I'll tell you what it makes me do- it makes me want to put my wallet back and go without- ANY of them. Might be a weird reaction, but it really makes me stop and reevaluate what I do with my dwindling funds these days. It used to be that one could keep up with a good general collection of most of the new releases every few weeks or so, and on a reasonable budget. Not anymore.

Comment

It's not just you. I've always been a budget collector and really had to re-evaluate my spending habits recently. I'm passing on multiple books these last 2-3 weeks, changed my online habits a bit to help myself out (mainly left a few FB groups), and thinking about what I really will read or appreciate.

It's been a short period of restraint, I'm finding it challenging, but rewarding in regards to refining what I buy.

This spike in new product, prices, and volume of publishers made me realize there is no scenario (other than hitting the lottery) that will allow me to keep up.

When I started collecting books it was essentially limited to PB's and SK books of all types. Then it changed to SK hardcovers, of all types, then SK 1st 1st HC's...then I discovered Grant, CD, and down the rabbit hole I went.

I'm actually thinking of foregoing all small press and refocus on saving my money to complete my SK collection. The only thing keeping me from that is that there are a few SK titles that will be forever out of my reach. Makes me teeter on which way I want to go.

I guess I'll put this here, but it could go in any one of many of the threads in the Other Publisher's Books section of these forums: Is it just me or has there been a veritable plethora of book presales launching the past week or so? I mean, I know the collectible market has been on fire, and publishers are scrambling to run with that, but, man- my head is spinning, and my wallet is on fire! Centipede, Subpress, Earthling, Thunderstrom, Tartarus, Suntup, to name but a few, all dropping (mostly) $75 and up book preorders, all at once. In some cases, twice from the same publisher. It's getting a bit crowded- and just too damn expensive to keep collecting these days. In fact, I think CD is the only pub NOT vying for my money this week (thank you for that small favor, guys). Just venting a little bit, but I'll tell you what it makes me do- it makes me want to put my wallet back and go without- ANY of them. Might be a weird reaction, but it really makes me stop and reevaluate what I do with my dwindling funds these days. It used to be that one could keep up with a good general collection of most of the new releases every few weeks or so, and on a reasonable budget. Not anymore.
                        Last edited by Ben Staad; 06-29-2021, 01:52 AM.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

It's not just you. My wallet hurts. I had to skip the latest from Centipede and the Suntup AE. Sweet baby Jesus, please slow these folks down!

Comment

Just venting a little bit, but I'll tell you what it makes me do- it makes me want to put my wallet back and go without- ANY of them. Might be a weird reaction, but it really makes me stop and reevaluate what I do with my dwindling funds these days. It used to be that one could keep up with a good general collection of most of the new releases every few weeks or so, and on a reasonable budget. Not anymore.
                            I understand the impulse to be frustrated when feeling overwhelmed with too many choices (and not an infinite budget), but just try to focus on selective priorities and not get distracted. Easier said than done, I know, with the FOMO we all have amid the rush of offerings posted just about every week. Heck, I wish I had more of that focus myself…example, I’m trying really hard to resist THE GHOUL AND THE CAPE, and I don’t even like Malerman. But I’d like to think I’m getting better.
                            Last edited by RonClinton; 06-29-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

As a thought, and then maybe Dan should move these posts elsewhere, do not forgot about places like Camelot books which offer no payment now pre-orders on many new releases. But I've laid off of them as well because, you know, eventually those need to be paid for as well. I have a two book backlog of pay laters that need cleared out before I will incur any more cost. The money for both books is sitting in a separate account waiting.

Comment

Anyone picking up a copy of The Architect of Sleep? Thought about it but ultimately passing on this. Just pinching pennies a bit these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X