No announcement yet.

Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you both dug it so much, and I have to agree, Ron S.: Like you, I’ve been doing this book/genre collecting thing for a long time — more than thirty years now — and, as well, have much of Centipede’s output, and this is almost certainly the nicest book on either the longevity or Centipede scale.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Anybody spring for the limited of the Blish book this last weekend? I'm not a big sci-fi reader, and don't care much for religion in my fiction, so this was a pass for me. Sounds like those who bought this first book in the quartet get first refusal on the three subsequent volumes (in order to preserve their number), so it looks like I'm probably shut out for the set, but that's okay...hopefully I won't regret it later.

Comment

I have not read the book but based on the description it doesn't fit into what I like to read. It sounds a little to cold and analytical for my taste.

I really liked the DJ though.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Anybody spring for the limited of the Blish book this last weekend? I'm not a big sci-fi reader, and don't care much for religion in my fiction, so this was a pass for me. Sounds like those who bought this first book in the quartet get first refusal on the three subsequent volumes (in order to preserve their number), so it looks like I'm probably shut out for the set, but that's okay...hopefully I won't regret it later.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Easy pass for me.

Comment

I pass on the first Shea NIFTT volume as well...that one, unlike this Blish, I kind of waver on whether or not I did the right thing as I do like Shea's horror fiction (and have the AUTOPSY Centipede collection), but ultimately, like the Moorcock and Leiber series that I also skipped, I just don't care for sword-and-sorcery/fantasy fiction, and I'm trying to be more selective when it comes to which titles I opt for. It's tough, though, when you're a Centipede fanboy and want them all just out of some odd, indefinable completist urge.

Comment

I pass on the first Shea NIFTT volume as well...that one, unlike this Blish, I kind of waver on whether or not I did the right thing as I do like Shea's horror fiction (and have the AUTOPSY Centipede collection), but ultimately, like the Moorcock and Leiber series that I also skipped, I just don't care for sword-and-sorcery/fantasy fiction, and I'm trying to be more selective when it comes to which titles I opt for. It's tough, though, when you're a Centipede fanboy and want them all just out of some odd, indefinable completist urge.
              I love Centipede Press. Fortunately for my wallet it is easy for me to pass on stories in genres that I generally do not care for.

Comment

I passed on this one. If it had been the Cities in Flight series, it would have been a much harder decision. I'm in Carl Sagan's camp when it comes to religion, and I don't usually find these in-depth examinations of belief systems worth my time. I did enjoy James Jose Farmer's Riverworld series, which I must read again one day.

Comment

I ordered it. I like Blish, I think he is pretty under-rated. He also wrote some really good star trek novels.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                    I ordered it. I like Blish, I think he is pretty under-rated. He also wrote some really good star trek novels.
                    He did. His Star Trek novels were the first Trek books I read, and I was disappointed when I tried a different author's Trek book....didn't hold a candle to Blish.

Comment

I read that those Star Trek books set him up financially for the rest of his life, freeing him creatively to do different things.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        I read that those Star Trek books set him up financially for the rest of his life, freeing him creatively to do different things.
                        Could that have been someone else? A majority of Blish's writing was done prior to his Star Trek titles and he passed away only a few years after the first Trek novel came out.

Comment

Did anyone else notice that the Stereoscopic viewers in Something Wicked were designed by Brian May?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            Did anyone else notice that the Stereoscopic viewers in Something Wicked were designed by Brian May?
                            no, but it doesn’t surprise me…he’s been very active in stereoscopic history and publication for a while. I have a couple of his oversized stereoscopic books, and their darned impressive (and entertaining).

Comment

no, but it doesn’t surprise me…he’s been very active in stereoscopic history and publication for a while. I have a couple of his oversized stereoscopic books, and their darned impressive (and entertaining).
                              I was not aware of that until I went to the web to see if it was 'the' Brian May.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Yes, I saw that too I wasn't surprised, as I remembered he has a PhD in Astrophysics.

Comment

Working...
                                X