Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Yeah, but now I'm wondering if there was an error on Devil Daddy. LOL Or maybe whoever packed your order just grabbed the wrong DJ.
    Not sure what happened, but Jerad just indicated to me that the corrected dj for LADY should have been included with my two new Blackburns, and since SOMETHING WICKED is still to be shipped, he's going to graciously include it in that package for me. So all is good. :-)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I do not know the story, or the history of the book, so I will apologize if my question sounds dumb. Are you sure the original dustjacket had the error or is the one used to ship these an error used for packing?
      No, the original DJ has the flap copy for "For Fear of Little Men." The new DJ is a correction.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Not sure what happened, but Jerad just indicated to me that the corrected dj for LADY should have been included with my two new Blackburns, and since SOMETHING WICKED is still to be shipped, he's going to graciously include it in that package for me. So all is good. :-)
        Oh that's great! Glad you were able to get ahead of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
          I'd recommend picking it up. But then again, I always recommend in favor of picking up a Centipede title.

The signed copies are on the pricier side, right? I got into that series late and only have the unsigned copies of volumes 3 and 4.

If you jump on it and want to also add volume 4 (Swords Against Wizardry), let me know! I thought I had purchased unsigned copies of volumes 2 and 4 through Centipede, but received two copies of Volume 4 instead.
          See, and that's another concern I have. Let's say I picked up that S/L Vol. 2 on the cheap, decide to keep it...then the next logical step is I need all the other S/L volumes in the series for a matching set -- and I don't even like S&S/Fantasy! I just have this wary feeling that I'm getting close to a slippery slope... If I can definitely go in with the mindset that I'm going to immediately flip it and make makes 2x or 3x my investment *and follow through*, then I'm good. But I have this sinking feeling that I won't be able to part with a beautiful Centipede production, and then the siren call of the complete set will reach me...

Oh, and I didn't mention that they have a S/L copy of Centipede's production of Clarke's THE CITY AND THE STARS -- god, what a beautiful volume that one is! -- for a decent price as well (though not insane like the S/L Leiber). But they don't have the companion volume, AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT, that was slipcased with it (nor is there the slipcase). So I have that one rolling around in my head, too...do I buy the lone volume and be satisfied with it, given that I'll never be able to match the number, or would its orphan status keep me up at night...?
          Last edited by RonClinton; 10-23-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

See, and that's another concern I have. Let's say I picked up that S/L Vol. 2 on the cheap, decide to keep it...then the next logical step is I need all the other S/L volumes in the series for a matching set -- and I don't even like S&S/Fantasy! I just have this wary feeling that I'm getting close to a slippery slope... If I can definitely go in with the mindset that I'm going to immediately flip it and make makes 2x or 3x my investment *and follow through*, then I'm good. But I have this sinking feeling that I won't be able to part with a beautiful Centipede production, and then the siren call of the complete set will reach me...

Oh, and I didn't mention that they have a S/L copy of Centipede's production of Clarke's THE CITY AND THE STARS -- god, what a beautiful volume that one is! -- for a decent price as well (though not insane like the S/L Leiber). But they don't have the companion volume, AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT, that was slipcased with it (nor is there the slipcase). So I have that one rolling around in my head, too...do I buy the lone volume and be satisfied with it, given that I'll never be able to match the number, or would its orphan status keep me up at night...?
            I feel your pain on this one. Here's my two cents:

I'd buy the Lieber book. Give it a read as soon as it arrives and if you like it, pick up the rest of the series. If you don't, flip it and make a quick couple of bucks and put it toward something else you like. Also if you don't like the book it will be a whole lot easier to part with. What I wouldn't do is just place it on the shelf. If your collector genes are anything like mine, if that book goes on the shelf unread, you'll always tell yourself you'll get around to reading it, when you actually won't, at least not before the next book in the series is announced and then you'd HAVE to buy that one because you'd hate to miss out on the book on the off-chance you like the series when you do get around to reading it. Now you're digging that hole. So buy it. Read it and decide at that point to keep or flip.

As for THE CITY AND THE STARS, I'd pass. If you want the books, track down the full set. If you go for the lone book, you might regret not getting the whole set and wind up having to buy the set in the future and try to unload the lone book.

Just my two cents, though. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I feel your pain on this one. Here's my two cents:

I'd buy the Lieber book. Give it a read as soon as it arrives and if you like it, pick up the rest of the series. If you don't, flip it and make a quick couple of bucks and put it toward something else you like. Also if you don't like the book it will be a whole lot easier to part with. What I wouldn't do is just place it on the shelf. If your collector genes are anything like mine, if that book goes on the shelf unread, you'll always tell yourself you'll get around to reading it, when you actually won't, at least not before the next book in the series is announced and then you'd HAVE to buy that one because you'd hate to miss out on the book on the off-chance you like the series when you do get around to reading it. Now you're digging that hole. So buy it. Read it and decide at that point to keep or flip.

As for THE CITY AND THE STARS, I'd pass. If you want the books, track down the full set. If you go for the lone book, you might regret not getting the whole set and wind up having to buy the set in the future and try to unload the lone book.

Just my two cents, though. Good luck!
              Your collector genes and mine must shared ancestral blood somewhere, because that’s *exactly* how I see it playing out if I didn’t flip it immediately. I just have to question if I have enough willpower to resist its allure...

On the Clarke set, that darn set is going for around a grand...and I can get this S/L (Not an unsigned) of CITY AND THE STARS sans its companion and slipcase for $175. Makes me think.

Comment

Well, $175 is pretty tempting, especially if you think you’ll never drop the grand it’ll take to get the full set (which I don’t blame you. There’s a lot of Centipede books that I’ve had to make my peace with never owning because I can’t justify paying the asking price). Broken sets just trigger my collector gene to go into overdrive, but that’s just me. At $175, though...

Comment

Your collector genes and mine must shared ancestral blood somewhere, because that’s *exactly* how I see it playing out if I didn’t flip it immediately. I just have to question if I have enough willpower to resist its allure...

On the Clarke set, that darn set is going for around a grand...and I can get this S/L (Not an unsigned) of CITY AND THE STARS sans its companion and slipcase for $175. Makes me think.
                  There was no slipcase for this set. Just two loose volumes.

Definitely pick that up! For $175, that's quite a steal.

And I'm pretty sure I have an unsigned copy of the companion novel, if you were interested in buying a friend for City and the Stars! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

There was no slipcase for this set. Just two loose volumes.

Definitely pick that up! For $175, that's quite a steal.

And I'm pretty sure I have an unsigned copy of the companion novel, if you were interested in buying a friend for City and the Stars! ;-)
                    Funny, that’s what I thought I remembered, that there was no slipcase, but I ran across a few mentions of it while researching the set. I’m guessing those must have been aftermarket. As far as the unsigned copy you have, PM sent.
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 10-24-2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

So I’m headed down to my bookstore in a day or two to get Clarke’s CITY AND THE STARS.

So now I gotta decide, do I get that S/L of the Leiber Volume 2 for $80 to flip for 2x or 3x $$? Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and I didn’t even mention the S/L of Centipede’s STAND ON ZANZIBAR they also have...? Not priced as nice as the Leiber or Clarke, but I think I could get 2x on a flip. But unlike the Leiber, it’s not part of a series I don’t want to collect, so I fear it’d be tougher to part with, but I really can’t afford to buy it to keep.

It’s tough being a Centipede collector on a budget that is all too finite...

Comment

So I’m headed down to my bookstore in a day or two to get Clarke’s CITY AND THE STARS.

So now I gotta decide, do I get that S/L of the Leiber Volume 2 for $80 to flip for 2x or 3x $$? Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and I didn’t even mention the S/L of Centipede’s STAND ON ZANZIBAR they also have...? Not priced as nice as the Leiber or Clarke, but I think I could get 2x on a flip. But unlike the Leiber, it’s not part of a series I don’t want to collect, so I fear it’d be tougher to part with, but I really can’t afford to buy it to keep.

It’s tough being a Centipede collector on a budget that is all too finite...
                        Ok, so I need to live in a town where you can find Centipede Press titles in a bookstore...

Very cool on the Clarke book, especially with the forum assist.

As for the Lieber and ZANZIBAR, how about buying both and flip the Leiber to help pay for ZANZIBAR?

Comment

Hey, did I miss a Centipede newsletter this week? The main page has been updated with NIFFT THE LEAN unsigned copies available for sale...and a pretty awesome cover reveal for DUNE.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                            Hey, did I miss a Centipede newsletter this week? The main page has been updated with NIFFT THE LEAN unsigned copies available for sale...and a pretty awesome cover reveal for DUNE.
                            I didn’t receive one, either...disappointing to hear about NIFFT THE LEAN. I wasn’t sure yet about that one, but it’s unfortunate if there was no open order period for it, which appears to be the case, as I may have opted for one. I can’t recall, was there a pre-order / advance listfor this one...?

EDIT: Just looked at last weekend’s newsletter, and, sure enough, there was a request to notify him if one wanted to be on the advance list for NIFFT. Ah well.
                            Last edited by RonClinton; 10-26-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

It seems that the Centipede titles are selling out by exclusive preorder faster and faster. NIFFT, SOMETHING WICKED, FALLING ANGEL (I think)... DUNE is not going to make it to open ordering and I seriously doubt the Ender books will either. It's crazy how fast the books are selling out now.

Comment

I don't think the Hjortsberg titles were exclusive pre-order, I'm fairly certain I nabbed a set during an open pre-order period. They just went very fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X