No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opened the box today. I really think this is a slick production and I enjoy the artwork. I do think they missed a trick with the endpapers. I am a little puzzled why they didn't marble them or other.

I have forever knocked the Suntup price point and probably always will. I like all of their work and love a few. This book is awesome but, for me, I struggle with the $140-$150+ price points for these editions.

To be honest here the price point is tough for me regardless of the production quality. I just don't have the funds to continually drop $150 on a book.My comfort zone is under $100 ($75-$85) and I would be ecstatic if Suntup where in that range.

But like Paul indicated he is running his business his way. And his way is expensive and artisanal based. I can appreciate and respect that.

My guess is I will always be a fan of Suntup. I just will not be able to appreciate many of their books in person.

Suntup SOtL.jpg
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
      Back on topic, what do you all think of the art on the Suntup SotL? I really like the cover (the "A" cover), and the slipcase art. The interiors perhaps a tad less so, but still solid. I did immediately notice both the lack of illustrated endpapers and the 2 color printing that made RED DRAGON such a successful edition. The black textured endpapers here are nice, so- not really knocking it (anything is better than plain white- which just kills books for me), but I am a sucker for illustrated endpapers and RD's were immediately striking and fantastic. Then you open it up and see the awesome William Blake color frontis and two color title page printing and you knew right away this was a special book. While still a fine edition that I'm glad to have, I have to say that SILENCE just isn't quite as nice as RD, and- at thrice the price! I didn't set out to compare the two books, but, I guess it can't be helped. And, it must be said, if I have any real criticism of Suntup's recent AE editions- it's only that: I think they're a bit overpriced. Because there's no denying that they are thoughtfully designed and made, absolutely. I wish they were (just, maybe) on the under side of $100. Then I'd feel GREAT about them. Lol. Obviously, I guess. I don't know, that's just my sense. Your mileage WILL vary.
      I really like the Artists Edition of Silence of the Lambs. Your note prompted me to pull out Red Dragon and compare. Here are my thoughts:
      Slipcase: I really prefer the Dragon scale effect on Red Dragon.
      Cloth Boards: Comparable but I like the gold foil on Red Dragon.
      End Papers: A actually prefer the black textured paper on Silence over the illustrations on Red Dragon.
      Interior Design: I prefer the two color printing on Red Dragon.
      Dust Jacket: I love them both but like the contrast on Silence of the Lambs as well as the reversible image.
      Art: I think both have art that is appropriate to the story and can't say I have a preference.

I guess in a direct comparison I prefer Red Dragon but in truth I love both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Yeah, I took your emphatically negative review of CARI MORA to not even bother. There weren't anyone who had anything nice to say about that book, it seems. Unfortunately I had already sprung for the signed edition (B & N), and am stuck with it, killing valuable storage box space!

I just saw these in the clearance bin at Walmart.

CARI MORA WALMART.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post

I just saw these in the clearance bin at Walmart.

CARI MORA WALMART.jpg
          Still overpriced in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Still overpriced in my view.
            It's funny because it's true.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

The asshole in me is hoping Suntup does an edition of Cari Mora...

Comment

As my copy of Cari Mora contains the only signature I have from Harris maybe I would be better off cutting that page out of the book and loosely inserting it into my Suntup SotL's?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  As my copy of Cari Mora contains the only signature I have from Harris maybe I would be better off cutting that page out of the book and loosely inserting it into my Suntup SotL's?
                  I think that's exactly what some folks did!

I recall there being several people with signed bookplates from Harris. Considering that his signatures are rather rare, I imagine that people were taking the Cari Mora signatures and transforming then into nice little signature cards/plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                    I've absolutely thought the same thing.

Comment

Had a last minute meeting at work which prevented me from watching today's facebook live. Were there any major announcements; or, was tomorrow's book teased at all? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                        Had a last minute meeting at work which prevented me from watching today's facebook live. Were there any major announcements; or, was tomorrow's book teased at all? Just curious.
                        He basically acknowledged that the guesses were correct so Blackwater it is. He also stated that he would be publishing it as a single volume rather than each section.

Comment

He basically acknowledged that the guesses were correct so Blackwater it is. He also stated that he would be publishing it as a single volume rather than each section.
                          Thanks Martin! Appreciate that info!

Comment

Dang it. That puts me in a bind. Due to other purchases, I’m not looking to spend money on a Suntup book at the moment, but I really want a copy of Blackwater. Do I bite the bullet or hold off and hopefully track down a copy of this or Centipede’s edition on the aftermarket? Decisions…

Comment

Yea. I want a copy as well but not sure I will be able to pull that trigger. Secondary market still isn't a buyers market for Suntup though. Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Dang it. That puts me in a bind. Due to other purchases, I’m not looking to spend money on a Suntup book at the moment, but I really want a copy of Blackwater. Do I bite the bullet or hold off and hopefully track down a copy of this or Centipede’s edition on the aftermarket? Decisions…

Comment

I like the Silence of the Lambs book overall but I’m a bit on the fence at the idea of making Jason Voorhees so prominent. In all seriousness I am aware that in the book he does wear a hockey mask but it’s hard for me to look at the cover and see it as being Hannibal.

Comment

Working...
                                X