Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother by Ania Ahlborn coming from Suntup Press:

Have to admit I have never heard of this. I am intrigued and the price is reasonable so I am going to think about it.

With a New Introduction by the Author
    Brother is the terrifying tale of a family’s disturbing traditions, and of one brother’s determination to break free from all he has ever known. In a crooked farmhouse off the beaten path and miles away from civilization live the Morrows. A band of eccentric recluses, the family keeps to themselves so as not to be questioned by local police when girls go missing from the side of the highway. But nineteen-year-old Michael Morrow is different. He derives no pleasure in the screams that echo through the trees.
    Michael pines for a life of normalcy and to see a world beyond that of West Virginia. In the nearby town of Dahlia, Michael meets Alice, a pretty girl working at a record shop. He is immediately smitten, but his family is all too eager to remind him of the monster he is.
    Hailed by critics as “impossible to put down,” Ahlborn delivers all the guilt, guts, and gore of family drama as Michael fights to attain the life he longs for.

The signed limited edition of Brother by Ania Ahlborn is presented in two states, and is limited to five hundred and twenty-six copies. The edition measures 6¼” x 9¼” and features six full-color illustrations by World Fantasy Award winner Samuel Araya. Also included is a new introduction by Ania Ahlborn, and both editions are signed by the author and artist. This is the first signed limited edition of the novel, and the first time it is issued in hardcover. All copies ship with a Brother bookmark.

The Limited edition of 500 copies is bound in Indiana Walnut handmade paper by paper and print artist Andrea Peterson. This unique archival paper is made from a 100% cotton rag sheet that has been coated with a black walnut dye from the artist’s trees on her homestead. The sheets are crumpled to soften, brush dyed and finally coated with a thin layer of shellac to seal the walnut. Endsheets are Hahnemühle Bugra and the cover features two hits of foil stamping. The book is housed in a cloth slipcase. $275

The Lettered edition is limited to 26 copies and is a Bradel binding with a Goatskin spine, and handmade paper boards. The paper is made by master paper maker Amanda Degener in her windowless basement workspace which is a ‘cave’ of hewn rock walls. The floor is an unsteady mix of concrete, brick, and in some areas a wooden raised floor, giving way to the earth below. Endsheets are hand marbled in a small village in Southern France with oil based pigments on acid free Fabriano Ingres. The edition is housed in a clamshell box. $2,150

https://suntup.press/brother
    Last edited by Martin; 08-10-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I’m mulling it over as well. Never heard of the book before, but had a passing knowledge of the author’s first book, SEED. This is definitely a harder choice than if it was a Rex Miller book as though didn’t quite pique my interest. Anybody care to knock me off the fence?

Comment

I’ve read it and absolutely loved it. I was excited when Ahlborn announced a short while back that BROTHER was getting the limited HC treatment...but it never occurred to me that it would be by Suntup. If it was half the price, I’d be all over it, but right now I’m really torn.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          I’ve read it and absolutely loved it. I was excited when Ahlborn announced a short while back that BROTHER was getting the limited HC treatment...but it never occurred to me that it would be by Suntup. If it was half the price, I’d be all over it, but right now I’m really torn.
          Hearing that you loved it pushes me closer to the buyer side of the fence. Your recommendations have not steered me wrong yet. Although the price is steep I feel there will be value in the purchase. My biggest hesitation is that I just spent on a Horn's Art Portfolio and am about to buy Mr. Hill's next book from Subterranean Press. Adding this will put me over $500 spent in a little over a week.

Comment

And another push towards ordering is the RED horns contest:

Red Horns.jpg

During the binding of our limited edition of Horns by Joe Hill, we discovered that we did not have enough snakeskins for the last few extras we make for private distribution. So we decided to do something fun and bind these copies in a unique red colored version of the skin! There are only four of these red copies in existence, three of which will remain in-house and this one copy is being offered up as the prize for this contest.
            Every pre-order we receive for Ania Ahlborn’s novel Brother will be entered into a drawing, and one of those will be selected at random to win the red Horns! There is one entry per copy ordered, and there is no limit per household so the more copies you order, the greater your chance of winning. Order must be received no later than August 31, 2019 to be eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Hearing that you loved it pushes me closer to the buyer side of the fence. Your recommendations have not steered me wrong yet.
              I read it two? three? years ago, and it was one of my favorite reads of that year. I’ve since picked up a couple other books from her, but haven’t read them yet....I’ve heard from others, though, that BROTHER is her best work, and that doesn’t surprise me...it has that feel of something singularly special, when an author has grasped lightning and is fashioning dark magic with it. The book still resonates with me, and some of the scenes are still crystal clear...as someone who reads a great deal but finds not much sticks in my mind — barely remembering the plot of the book I read last week — a book like BROTHER remaining so vividly etched in my mind signifies a work of unique narrative power.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

YES. if I win the Red Horns I’ll probably explode. Everything about this release has me thrilled. I don’t know if this was before you became a subscriber, Martin, but BROTHER was an NRB selection before the Gwendy box. And the way people reacted had me wanting to read it. But my TBR pile is formidable and I never worked it in the reading schedule. Now I will. I can’t wait!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  Sinner. Infidel. Blasphemer.
                  I know, I know. My 50 lashes are scheduled for later today.
                  Last edited by Brian861; 08-10-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I'm super intrigued by this new release and downloaded the audiobook this morning.

That red spine Horns is a super holy grail for any Hill collector!

Comment

Whi!e the book sounds great I'm passing on this edition. Right now it's to pricey. I did however go to Amazon and order a paperback edition. As well as a collection of novellas by her.

Comment

YES. if I win the Red Horns I’ll probably explode. Everything about this release has me thrilled. I don’t know if this was before you became a subscriber, Martin, but BROTHER was an NRB selection before the Gwendy box. And the way people reacted had me wanting to read it. But my TBR pile is formidable and I never worked it in the reading schedule. Now I will. I can’t wait!
                        I had not heard of NRB prior to Gwendy and do not recall hearing of this book before.

Comment

Paul does have a way of making his books sound super sexy.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            With the comment you wrote following this one, I'm surprised you're torn. Seems like a must have to me. And it being the first limited and first hardcover of this book, it'll etch it's place in collector's history.

Comment

With the comment you wrote following this one, I'm surprised you're torn. Seems like a must have to me. And it being the first limited and first hardcover of this book, it'll etch it's place in collector's history.
                              I e more lost like this and I might jump into this one after all

Comment

Don't listen to the audiobook. The narrator is horrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X