Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

There are significant differences between the book and the movie. One of those rare cases where I think both are great but they are very different stories. Received my copy today and I did not remember that the dust jacket was double sided. Beautiful book!
    Agreed. The movie is a classic and I like it, but the novel is better IMO.

Comment

Wow, Paul is on a roll today! The AE of Silence of the Lambs arrived today, and I got text messages saying Neuromancer Numbered Edition and Let the Right One In Numbered Edition are both finished.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Huh, I don't remember many (or any?) significant differences. In fact, I remember sitting there in the theater as the end credits rolled, exhilarated, and thinking: "Damn, they got it all on screen- amazing!". The other few times I had similar experiences- they're rare- were with "Shawshank", and- once I finally saw the extended editions on home video- Peter Jackson's The Lord of The Rings. Of course, my memory is absolute shit, so- wouldn't surprise me if I had forgotten parts of the book by the time I saw the movie. What were those major differences?
        The character development and interpersonal relationships are very different in the book. While I feel the movie is true to the book I also feel it tells a quite different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Agreed. The movie is a classic and I like it, but the novel is better IMO.
          That is a tough one for me. I think I like the story the book tells better but the movie is so well done I enjoy them equally.

Comment

The character development and interpersonal relationships are very different in the book. While I feel the movie is true to the book I also feel it tells a quite different story.
            Interesting. Time for a re-read! Regardless of what I've forgotten, it's stuck in my mind in the All Time Favorite novels category (Red Dragon's there, too). I did receive the Suntup edition the other day, and it is very nice. I do wish that I had been able to land a numbered edition to match my Red Dragon, but- c'est la vie.

Comment

I don't remember the specific differences between the book and movie as it's been thirty years or so since I read the novel, but I do remember being immersed and blown away by the book, and while I was impressed by the movie and thought it was well done, it lacked the richness and smothering dread of the book. I suppose that's true of most book vs. movie comparisons, though, so isn't a reflection of the movie as being lesser, per se...just different.

Really looking forward to my AE of SoTL as well.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I don't remember the specific differences between the book and movie as it's been thirty years or so since I read the novel, but I do remember being immersed and blown away by the book, and while I was impressed by the movie and thought it was well done, it lacked the richness and smothering dread of the book. I suppose that's true of most book vs. movie comparisons, though, so isn't a reflection of the movie as being lesser, per se...just different.

Really looking forward to my AE of SoTL as well.
                I think the differences stand out so much for me is because I first read the book in about 2019 after having seen the movie countless times. I kept being surprised at so much of the story because 'That was not in the movie'. I remember thinking as I read it that I wished the relationship stories had been included. By the time I finished the book I determined that they could have never told the story in the time frame a movie allows. In the end I decided both are great stories but they are different.

Comment

I think the differences stand out so much for me is because I first read the book in about 2019 after having seen the movie countless times. I kept being surprised at so much of the story because 'That was not in the movie'. I remember thinking as I read it that I wished the relationship stories had been included. By the time I finished the book I determined that they could have never told the story in the time frame a movie allows. In the end I decided both are great stories but they are different.
                  Cool perspective. I'm glad to hear this. As I said- this is one of those where I thought the movie got it so right that it (unfortunately, bittersweet-ly..?) made me less inclined to pick up the novel again. I devoured the book on publication, having loved Red Dragon so much, and, there really wasn't a ton of time in between the book's publication and the movie coming out- 3 years? I'm intrigued now to re-read and see what I've forgotten of it.

One of the things that sticks in my mind as something the film pulled off better is the fake out of the FBI storming Jame Gumb's supposed residence as Starling is innocently on mop up work questioning old leads- when she runs into the killer. It was masterfully handled in the film and even if Harris did the same thing in the book- it had more impact (on me at least) on film.
                  Last edited by swintek; 08-05-2021, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I loved Red Dragon and SILENCE, but the ending of Hannibal well and truly sucked. I never read the prequel book.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                      I loved Red Dragon and SILENCE, but the ending of Hannibal well and truly sucked. I never read the prequel book.
                      Can't argue with any of that. Same on all. I couldn't believe how.. off Hannibal was as I was devouring it. I don't know that I've ever been that disappointed in a book before.

Comment

Box showed up today! Waiting to open it later when I have time to really check it out.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Can't argue with any of that. Same on all. I couldn't believe how.. off Hannibal was as I was devouring it. I don't know that I've ever been that disappointed in a book before.
                          HANNIBAL did suck, and then some. I also read the prequel.

But..."never"...? Ah, then you didn't read Harris' CARI MORA, did you? Hard to believe that book was by the same author of RED DRAGON and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, masterpieces both.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I appear to be in the minority here but I loved Hannibal. Part of that is shaped by the fact I was aware that he was not interested in writing it but was told they would do the movie without him if he didn't. He purposely created an ending that he knew would not be used in the movie. Cari Mora on the other hand is a book that did not need to be written!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

HANNIBAL did suck, and then some. I also read the prequel.

But..."never"...? Ah, then you didn't read Harris' CARI MORA, did you? Hard to believe that book was by the same author of RED DRAGON and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, masterpieces both.
                              Yeah, I took your emphatically negative review of CARI MORA to not even bother. There weren't anyone who had anything nice to say about that book, it seems. Unfortunately I had already sprung for the signed edition (B & N), and am stuck with it, killing valuable storage box space!

Comment

Back on topic, what do you all think of the art on the Suntup SotL? I really like the cover (the "A" cover), and the slipcase art. The interiors perhaps a tad less so, but still solid. I did immediately notice both the lack of illustrated endpapers and the 2 color printing that made RED DRAGON such a successful edition. The black textured endpapers here are nice, so- not really knocking it (anything is better than plain white- which just kills books for me), but I am a sucker for illustrated endpapers and RD's were immediately striking and fantastic. Then you open it up and see the awesome William Blake color frontis and two color title page printing and you knew right away this was a special book. While still a fine edition that I'm glad to have, I have to say that SILENCE just isn't quite as nice as RD, and- at thrice the price! I didn't set out to compare the two books, but, I guess it can't be helped. And, it must be said, if I have any real criticism of Suntup's recent AE editions- it's only that: I think they're a bit overpriced. Because there's no denying that they are thoughtfully designed and made, absolutely. I wish they were (just, maybe) on the under side of $100. Then I'd feel GREAT about them. Lol. Obviously, I guess. I don't know, that's just my sense. Your mileage WILL vary.

Comment

Working...
                                X