Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    A deluxe edition of MOREAU to compete with Suntup’s was just released...very attractive edition, from what I see:

https://beehivebooks.com/shop/moreau
    Currently on sale at Amazon for $61.

B

Comment

That is wild. I would have never thought to review Amazon first for these titles.

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Currently on sale at Amazon for $61.

B
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        That is wild. I would have never thought to review Amazon first for these titles.

There have been times that Amazon received books from distributers that were extra copies designated for libraries and they did not come with the slipcases. Not saying that is the case here, just mentioning it.

Comment

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post

If it's got a signature and a limitation number it's limited edition enough, doesn't have to printed in gold and letterpress and blah blah blah. Some publishers just like to jack up prices by selling the hyped version which does not even have the author's signature as we are seeing these days.
          I guess technically they're limited. But there are a lot of people who get pissed and accuse the publisher of just phoning it in if the only thing limited about the book is the limitation page. I don't mind it if the books are priced appropriately ($40-$50). But I've bought some very underwhelming books with no art apart from a new dust jacket for a lot more than that. If more goes into it, then I expect to pay more and I do so happily. I don't have insight into the bookkeeping but I'm sure the profit margins are roughly the same for cheaper material sold at cheaper prices and more complex/expensive materials sold at more expensive prices. Yes the pricey books bring in more money but they generate higher bills for the publisher because require more money for the ingredients. I read these books and a signature and a designation doesn't make a heightened reading experience. It's the feel and the weight and design and art and presentation. But it's all subjective. Some just want the limitation or the signature. Some want the whole parade. Hype is only hype if it's baseless.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I guess technically they're limited. But there are a lot of people who get pissed and accuse the publisher of just phoning it in if the only thing limited about the book is the limitation page. I don't mind it if the books are priced appropriately ($40-$50). But I've bought some very underwhelming books with no art apart from a new dust jacket for a lot more than that. If more goes into it, then I expect to pay more and I do so happily. I don't have insight into the bookkeeping but I'm sure the profit margins are roughly the same for cheaper material sold at cheaper prices and more complex/expensive materials sold at more expensive prices. Yes the pricey books bring in more money but they generate higher bills for the publisher because require more money for the ingredients. I read these books and a signature and a designation doesn't make a heightened reading experience. It's the feel and the weight and design and art and presentation. But it's all subjective. Some just want the limitation or the signature. Some want the whole parade. Hype is only hype if it's baseless.
            Well said. There’s no denying that the general price of limited editions has increased on the average from where it was a few years ago. This has become a more expensive hobby, for the most part, and for most of us that requires some discerning selectivity. For those books on the higher end of that cost scale, their commensurate quality and production values are usually tactile and readily apparent...if they’re not, the capitalist market will take care of that. On the hand, for those books on the lower end of that scale, they are limiteds in that they have a signature and enumerated limitation, but the handling and reading does not typically have the same depth of experience. Sure, it’s a subtle, nuanced difference, but in the same way that my Kawasaki and BMW motorcycles both get me from Point A to Point B, there is something to be said about investing more in an one option over the other because that nuanced, desirable difference is important to you.

For me, the numbered Suntup train just isn’t for me because their nuanced glory isn’t worth the investment to me, but I certainly understand why it is for others.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

There have been times that Amazon received books from distributers that were extra copies designated for libraries and they did not come with the slipcases. Not saying that is the case here, just mentioning it.
              I got my copy about a year and half ago, it came just as advertised from Beehive.

In fact, in came not only in a slipcase, but in a decorative box that folds over the slipcase. Kind of defeats the purpose if you want to display the book / slipcase, but it does add another layer of protection.

Also picked up The Willows and Other Nightmares from Beehive, and it was delivered in the same way.

Pretty nice books for the price, especially given the Amazon discount.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I got my copy about a year and half ago, it came just as advertised from Beehive.

In fact, in came not only in a slipcase, but in a decorative box that folds over the slipcase. Kind of defeats the purpose if you want to display the book / slipcase, but it does add another layer of protection.

Also picked up The Willows and Other Nightmares from Beehive, and it was delivered in the same way.

Pretty nice books for the price, especially given the Amazon discount.

B
                That is good to hear. I am always cautious of buying small press books from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

That is good to hear. I am always cautious of buying small press books from Amazon.
                  Same. I used to get Sub Press books there from time to time, but am much more wary to do so now after getting trade HCs instead of signed/limiteds (and the original published price before discount reflected the limited) on two different occasions. Just not worth the gamble and worry anymore...now it’s either direct from Sub or Camelot.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I guess technically they're limited. But there are a lot of people who get pissed and accuse the publisher of just phoning it in if the only thing limited about the book is the limitation page....
                    I agree some of the aspects. I did try to find out what was the price at which this book was originally sold. it was sold at 60 pounds. I don't feel that was an exceptionally high price, yes it was barebones and had no artwork and all that jazz but it was way affordable than some of the current limited editions and considering it's currently on ebay for 575$, I would think that's quite a ROI if profitability is the only question here. Reading experience , not quite different from a regular trade one.

To me the only thing that makes the book better is the artwork, but I don't see the point of letterpress, gilded pages, colored pgs, extra special binding, some amazing case wrapped in skin of some poor dead animal etc etc. Those are just so one can feel special to say "hey look, my book is wrapped in dead cobra skin or whatever". I personally don't any heightened reading experience from that. It's all about the author whose signature is there and the number of books printed. But i guess majority of people might not feel that way, I mean "alice in wonderland" is being sold at 4800$ in current day , so anything is acceptable these days lol.

Comment

Any guesses as to what tomorrow's release might be? I don't normally read a ton of fantasy; so, I'm having a hard time coming up with an epic fantasy novel that is over a 1000 pages. Would love to hear what the forum thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                        Any guesses as to what tomorrow's release might be? I don't normally read a ton of fantasy; so, I'm having a hard time coming up with an epic fantasy novel that is over a 1000 pages. Would love to hear what the forum thinks.
                        I believe I have seen to most guesses for Clive Barker's Imajica. I have not idea if that is accurate though.

Comment

I got curious and looked it up: the first edition of Imajica is 824 pages. While different typeset and margins can certainly add to the page count, as can illustrations, adding almost 200 pages seems a stretch to me.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                            I got curious and looked it up: the first edition of Imajica is 824 pages. While different typeset and margins can certainly add to the page count, as can illustrations, adding almost 200 pages seems a stretch to me.
                            Suntup often add additional content (Forward, Afterword etc.) so I believe the page count would work.

Comment

The tease says it will be signed by the authors of the afterword- so the afterword is by two people at least. Clive works closely with Phil and Sarah Stokes, so maybe it is them. If this is Imagica then it seems Clive is not the artist, unless saying signed by the artist is some deception.

Comment

Though 'epic fantasy' doesn't immediately leap to mind, at a reach maybe 1Q84 by Murakami, I know he's on the list of authors Suntup has included in previous surveys. Beyond that I'd like to see Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which would be a stretch to be that long in hardback - but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X