Lord Foul's Bane--Grim Oak Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    It was just my opinion lol. He thinks it's good and who knows you might shower glowering review about it too. Here's some of the bountiful of ratings for you if you wanna read it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true
    Initially I thought i was the only one who was stupid to dislike it, but going by these reviews i think i was speaking generously. Some people have wanted to rate it at less than 1. But anyways read it for yourself and see if you like it. It was written in 1977 apparently and I think there were few authors who were trying to get the success of the lord of the rings. Hence came books like these and also The Sword of Shannara or as described by some lovingly as "THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE SWORD" lmao. I passed on that one also from Grim Oak press.
    The strength of this book isn't really in the single book, it's more in the series as a whole. I think the same can be said about Sword of Shannara, in that case book 1 is very much LOTR with it's own twist, but Elfstones and Wishsong are completely different stories, both standing on their own much better than Sword, but I'd never want to own collectors editions of Elfstones and Wishsong and not have Sword as well. Then again I'm a bit biased as Terry Brooks is probably my favorite fantasy author. I pretty much love all the Shannara books with the exception of one of the more recent trilogies.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I must be the only one who hasn't ever heard of this series - or this author - so it was a pass for me.

Of course, I've had a hard time getting into a lot of fantasy series (even while I say I enjoy fantasy) - lately I've been on a sci-fi kick (all the while realizing that historically, I haen't read a lot of sci-fi.)

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        I must be the only one who hasn't ever heard of this series - or this author - so it was a pass for me.

Of course, I've had a hard time getting into a lot of fantasy series (even while I say I enjoy fantasy) - lately I've been on a sci-fi kick (all the while realizing that historically, I haen't read a lot of sci-fi.)
        I had only heard about it because of Brad. I think the author has a Sci-Fi series as well, haven't gotten around to reading that one yet.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Donaldson is amazing, but his books tend to have a darker tone. They are not really the make you fel good fantasy. The 10 Covenant books are great, but I would not put them in the lighter side of fantasy. His two book set Mordant's Need (Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides through are brilliant, slow and dark). The Gap series is his 5 books sci-fi series that is great too, but the first book in the Gap series is much shorter and a little lighter than the next 4. The first Gap book doesn't reflect the depth of the following volumes.

I really hope Grim Oak marches through his entire catalog.

Comment

I read this book back in the 80s and didn't care for it. I've never read any of his work since.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
              I read this book back in the 80s and didn't care for it. I've never read any of his work since.
              I have tried to read Donaldson several times and just can't make a go of it. I happy for everybody that's getting a great edition of a book they love though.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                Donaldson is amazing, but his books tend to have a darker tone. They are not really the make you fel good fantasy. The 10 Covenant books are great, but I would not put them in the lighter side of fantasy. His two book set Mordant's Need (Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides through are brilliant, slow and dark). The Gap series is his 5 books sci-fi series that is great too, but the first book in the Gap series is much shorter and a little lighter than the next 4. The first Gap book doesn't reflect the depth of the following volumes.

I really hope Grim Oak marches through his entire catalog.
                I like your take on this series! I don't mind a darker read. UNFORTUNATELY, I just returned home from vacation to find my kitchen ceiling resting comfortably on my kitchen floor because the bathroom decided to play Water Fight! and no one was home to break it up. So I had to cancel my order. I was looking forward to that sweet combo of new author, new publisher. But I just shouldn't be bleeding money right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  I like your take on this series! I don't mind a darker read. UNFORTUNATELY, I just returned home from vacation to find my kitchen ceiling resting comfortably on my kitchen floor because the bathroom decided to play Water Fight! and no one was home to break it up. So I had to cancel my order. I was looking forward to that sweet combo of new author, new publisher. But I just shouldn't be bleeding money right now.
                  Sounds like the ghosts of the Stanley were messing with you! Seriously though, sorry man hope the damage is not too bad or expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    Sounds like the ghosts of the Stanley were messing with you! Seriously though, sorry man hope the damage is not too bad or expensive!
                    You are echoing what my wife and I have been saying since we left The Stanley. That place is cursed. Just before we turned in for the night, my 8yo son tripped and bashed his face on the floor and bled everywhere. After we settled in, my wife woke my up at 2:19 in the morning to ask if I smelled smoke. I did. The place is non-smoking of course. She had been up for two minutes before waking me. Yeah, at 2:17. I'm not making it up. After that the trip was a mess and we got altitude sickness and then we came home to this huge mini disaster (I say mini because this is nothing compared to those who have lost so much in flooding around the world!).

So we're cursed.

Comment

You are echoing what my wife and I have been saying since we left The Stanley. That place is cursed. Just before we turned in for the night, my 8yo son tripped and bashed his face on the floor and bled everywhere. After we settled in, my wife woke my up at 2:19 in the morning to ask if I smelled smoke. I did. The place is non-smoking of course. She had been up for two minutes before waking me. Yeah, at 2:17. I'm not making it up. After that the trip was a mess and we got altitude sickness and then we came home to this huge mini disaster (I say mini because this is nothing compared to those who have lost so much in flooding around the world!).

So we're cursed.
                      Sounds like a great vacation! Hope the ghosts return to Colorado soon. I have never had altitude sickness but have witnessed it and it was rough. Once at Timberline Lodge (The movie version of the Stanley) went hiking up the glacier with my wife. Did not really go too far. The hotel is at 6,000' and we hiked to the silkox hut which is at 7,000'. About the time we were getting back to the lodge my wife began explaining how she was not feeling good. I recognized the symptoms and we left as soon as we got down. By the time we got off the mountain she was curled up in a ball. She will not hike at elevation anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        Sounds like a great vacation! Hope the ghosts return to Colorado soon. I have never had altitude sickness but have witnessed it and it was rough. Once at Timberline Lodge (The movie version of the Stanley) went hiking up the glacier with my wife. Did not really go too far. The hotel is at 6,000' and we hiked to the silkox hut which is at 7,000'. About the time we were getting back to the lodge my wife began explaining how she was not feeling good. I recognized the symptoms and we left as soon as we got down. By the time we got off the mountain she was curled up in a ball. She will not hike at elevation anymore.
                        WOW sorry to hear that about your wife. We didn't get all that sick for all that long. We drove through the Rocky Mountain National Park, reaching an elevation of 12,000 feet before heading back to Boulder which is about 5,500 feet. Then we both had headaches and fatigue. Taking it easy straightened us right out.

I'll have to make the trip to the Timberline.

Comment

WOW sorry to hear that about your wife. We didn't get all that sick for all that long. We drove through the Rocky Mountain National Park, reaching an elevation of 12,000 feet before heading back to Boulder which is about 5,500 feet. Then we both had headaches and fatigue. Taking it easy straightened us right out.

I'll have to make the trip to the Timberline.
                          The headache she had almost had her in tears. Took her about a day to fully recover. Timberline is beautiful. On a nice summer day it is fun to go up and watch the skiers and boarders on the glacier when it is 70 degrees. Once you get up to 7,000' and above the view south on a clear day is amazing.

Comment

Did anybody buy the new limited of STORM FRONT from Grim Oak? It sounds like they plan on doing more Dresden Files books which is interesting since these have been done by Sub Press. Any body have any feelings about Grim Oak’s quality? What about the Dresden Files?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              Did anybody buy the new limited of STORM FRONT from Grim Oak? It sounds like they plan on doing more Dresden Files books which is interesting since these have been done by Sub Press. Any body have any feelings about Grim Oak’s quality? What about the Dresden Files?
                              I cannot speak for The Dresdon Files (will read them eventually), but I like Grim Oak's quality. Some of their titles are clothbound, but they also do really nice leatherbound editions as well.

Comment

I bought Storm Front from Grim Oak. I think theire version is actually going to be better than Subterranean Press's I have all the books Sub Press has done so far. I had to pay a lot on ebay to get the first three as I started on the series late in the game Theirs are nice, but only have B&W artwork (really good art work though). I really like the cover on Grim Oaks version.

Comment

Working...
                                X