Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIRD BOX

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Agreed, but I can't think of a single book that featured Glenn's artwork where he didn't do an amazing job. Especially Secretary of Dreams 1 & 2.
    I know this might be the intersection of heresy and blasphemy but I did not dig the Secretary of Dreams editions. I have VOL II and I'm glad to have it in my collection, but I thought the whole thing was just visual overload. Way too much. I loved The Dark Man. I think that struck a great balance. I loved the stuff he did in Goblin too. I think Bird Box is his best work. And I'm getting Chadbourne remarques on the rest of the Res of the Doubleday Series.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Been debating whether or not to pick up this book as well. I really enjoyed the movie having not read the book.

      I know there were copies on eBay that were lower than the publisher's price but I don't know if that's the case now that the movie is a hit.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        Been debating whether or not to pick up this book as well. I really enjoyed the movie having not read the book.
        I own the DRP edition and the Kindle version. If youíre looking to just read the story, thatís what I would shoot for. Itís on sale quite often.

        The DRP edition was kind of pricey and if it wasnít for the movie, I would imagine that it would have been available on the secondary market for a song. Itís also too bad DRPís 50% off sale had a ton of hoops to jump and tumble through.

        Comment


          Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          I own the DRP edition and the Kindle version. If you’re looking to just read the story, that’s what I would shoot for. It’s on sale quite often.

          The DRP edition was kind of pricey and if it wasn’t for the movie, I would imagine that it would have been available on the secondary market for a song. It’s also too bad DRP’s 50% off sale had a ton of hoops to jump and tumble through.
          I'd agree that copies weren't moving and the secondary market wasn't kind to the book before the movie got everyone's interest.

          Though I will say that I never regretted paying $75 for my copy. Once I had it in my hands I thought it was worth every penny. It's just a quality production. The same way I don't regret paying what I did for the CD artist edition of The Shining with a Chadbourne remarque--even though the secondary market doesn't seem to value that book the way it should (IMO). I think my copy of The Shining was worth every penny.

          Comment


            Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            I'd agree that copies weren't moving and the secondary market wasn't kind to the book before the movie got everyone's interest.

            Though I will say that I never regretted paying $75 for my copy. Once I had it in my hands I thought it was worth every penny. It's just a quality production. The same way I don't regret paying what I did for the CD artist edition of The Shining with a Chadbourne remarque--even though the secondary market doesn't seem to value that book the way it should (IMO). I think my copy of The Shining was worth every penny.
            Unfortunately the secondary market doesn't really appreciate remarques.
            CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

            Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

            Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

            Comment


              Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              Unfortunately the secondary market doesn't really appreciate remarques.
              That always seemed odd to be. I think it should really bump the price.

              Comment


                Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                That always seemed odd to be. I think it should really bump the price.
                You'd think that, but generally speaking remarques actually only appeal to a niche market inside an already niche market.
                CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

                Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                  Unfortunately the secondary market doesn't really appreciate remarques.
                  I'm not even necessarily counting in the cost of my remarque. The Artist Edition of The Shining gets very little interest on eBay. And there are always lots of copies available at or slightly above the published price. And many times they don't even sell. I'm not complaining. I'd buy mine all over again. With the damn remarque too!

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                    That always seemed odd to be. I think it should really bump the price.
                    As someone who doesn't appreciate remarques, I can give you my thinking about it...can't say for sure, though, that this logic is true of the general marketplace.

                    I don't mind if the cover artist - in the case of the above example (CD's THE SHINING), Don Maitz -- does a remarque, and I can even see paying a bit more IF I like the remarque...but when it's an artist that has nothing to do with the original production (in this case, Chadbourne (whose work I've really become tired of)), then it's just some third-party scribbling in your book..."defacing" is too strong a word, but it's not OF the book, it's ON the book, it has no relevant relation to the original production. I like my books as pristine as possible and as original as possible...but having someone who was not party to the book -- whether a professional artist or my teenage nephew -- scribble in it, it now has become a much less attractive item, less than a standard, unfaced example, akin to a copy with a previous owner's inscription to their spouse, or a coffee stain, or a remainder mark...they're foreign markings that do not belong to a Fine/Fine original production. So were I to be in the secondary market looking for a copy, I would never consider a remarqued (by someone other than the cover artist) copy, unless it was at a significant discount, in the same way I'd expect to pay less for a copy that's otherwise marred.

                    I know that may seem counter-intuitive to some -- hey, it's got cool original art that relates to the story, right? -- and I get that, but I can't help but see it the way I do. Maybe that explains the general marketplace, or maybe not -- perhaps I'm just uniquely odd that way.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                    Comment


                      Chadbourne did the internal art.

                      Comment


                        Once the hype dies down, I may pick up a copy then. It's not a must have but I plan on listening to the audio book.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                          Chadbourne did the internal art.
                          Sort of. Glenn only did the art for the signature sheets, not actual interiors. That said, that along with the "style" is kinda the unifying factor across the series. Glenn also did some bonus pieces that are included in the art portfolios, but aren't in the books.
                          CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                          Non-Work related social media and what not:
                          Instagram

                          Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            I'm not even necessarily counting in the cost of my remarque. The Artist Edition of The Shining gets very little interest on eBay. And there are always lots of copies available at or slightly above the published price. And many times they don't even sell. I'm not complaining. I'd buy mine all over again. With the damn remarque too!
                            My guess is that probably has more to do with the lack of a King signature more than anything else.

                            I don't think anyone here does it, but I'd never suggest to anyone to buy a book as an investment or expect it's value to increase. The market for this sort of thing is too volatile.
                            CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                            Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

                            Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              My guess is that probably has more to do with the lack of a King signature more than anything else.

                              I don't think anyone here does it, but I'd never suggest to anyone to buy a book as an investment or expect it's value to increase. The market for this sort of thing is too volatile.
                              Agreed about the signature.

                              And also agree that you shouldn't buy books with an investment mindset. Sure there are those that hold their value and some that shoot way up. But those are hit and miss. I thought Bird Box would sell out immediately and only increase in value considering the buzz around its initial release. BOY was I wrong. It's taken a Netflix movie to move more copies, but even then copies remain.

                              The point I was making is that these books are worth every penny to me regardless of what the secondary market tells me their worth because I collect what I like. And I collect for myself.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                Sort of. Glenn only did the art for the signature sheets, not actual interiors. That said, that along with the "style" is kinda the unifying factor across the series. Glenn also did some bonus pieces that are included in the art portfolios, but aren't in the books.
                                The DRP site says "..., ten interior illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne"

                                We are talking about the DRP edition right? That's NOT his art?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X