Joe Lansdale - All Hail the Popcorn King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Lansdale - All Hail the Popcorn King

My buddy Brandon pointed out that The Overlook Connection was selling signed DVD copies of the recent Lansdale documentary.

All Hail the Popcorn King

$40 isn't too bad, and with the new welcome coupon, shipping was almost free.

OR you can order direct from the manufacturer - signed by the director not Lansdale - for almost the same price.

Note - there is no Glen Chadbourne remarqued option available.

Note for Brian - Joe Hill is included so here's another thing you'll need to get signed.

So this documentary ended up being about an hour long. And while it wasn't bad, the quality was pretty poor in my opinion.

I'm not familiar with the director so maybe it's her style, but the shaking camera, the hard to hear dialogue, and the lack of a point were hard to get over. I mean, the point was Joe Lansdale, but there was no coherent story being told.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was intrigued by this but hesitant to buy a copy. Poor audio is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Huh?

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Thanks for the information. I was intrigued by this but hesitant to buy a copy. Poor audio is a deal breaker for me.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Huh?

Exactly!

Comment

It just felt very amateurish. Joe has LOTS to say, but he's almost always away from the camera so he's hard to hear (my wife does this - walks away from me and keeps talking - I can't hear her.) And the director interviews him while they're walking/driving so you hear her asking the questions, and since she's holding the camera, you really hear her.

Just felt like this could have been something amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              It just felt very amateurish. Joe has LOTS to say, but he's almost always away from the camera so he's hard to hear (my wife does this - walks away from me and keeps talking - I can't hear her.) And the director interviews him while they're walking/driving so you hear her asking the questions, and since she's holding the camera, you really hear her.

I only hear mid range out of one ear. That causes many issues. One being I am unable to where sound is coming from. Another being if you are on the left of me and talk I am likely not to realize you are talking to me. I am very reliant on reading lips in a conversation. It took my wife a long time to realize that if she walked away from me as she was talking I could not hear here. Another was walking into a room and starting talking before I realize you are talking. I generally miss the first half sentence. On the bright side when I lay my right head on the pillow the room goes silent. That would also drive my wife nuts as she would start talking to me and I had no clue. Hearing issues are very frustrating so I have no patience for poor audio on a video.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Thanks for the caution. I also was really looking forward to seeing this some time, somewhere, and was toying with the idea of a DVD (since I suspect that'll be the only way for quite some time, possibly ever), but it doesn't sound like it's worth the cost. I've been to close to a half-dozen Joe Lansdale reading/Q&A/signings, and have had the pleasure of talking to him at each one briefly (and could hear him just fine that way ;-)), so perhaps I'll leave it at that.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                X