Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    A few weeks ago, I placed my first order - Ring Shout from P. Djeli Clark.

Not sure where I first heard about this author (I know I have a free eBook of his - perhaps from Tor's monthly free ebook email . . .) and I remember coming across a new/used paperback of this book but I didn't buy it. AND while cataloging our book collection, I realized my wife has one of his books (Black God's Drums - it's still amazing to me when our book collections cross paths ...)

Looking forward to having a nice signed edition from yet another author I've never read. But mean to.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Huh. I didn’t receive that shipping e-mail today…maybe I’ll see it tomorrow, if he’s shipping in stages.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I'm sure the overall production of the book will be great and maybe the DJ will look better in person. I'm just not a fan of the artwork at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    No. A few of us were just hopeful they would.

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Were they supposed to be changing the cover?

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Received an email today that Blacktop Wasteland is shipping. I don't think they did anything different with the cover...
    Were they supposed to be changing the cover?

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Received an email today that Blacktop Wasteland is shipping. I don't think they did anything different with the cover...

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I did end up ordering TATR but that was a put off for me as well. However I was very interested in the artwork. At the end of the day I was happy to have made the purchase.

Still haven't pre-ordered this current offering. I probably will not but time will tell.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    I ultimately passed as the revisions the author chose to make for this edition rubbed me the wrong way. That being said, I do completely support any author's choice to do whatever they want with their art and am happy I could find another title by this author to try instead.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    I see another pre-order up for MidWorld. Not really my favorite subject matter but I like the price point. I may give this a go.

Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman
    Christopher Buehlman invites readers into a darker age—one of temptation and corruption, of war in heaven, and of hell on earth…

https://www.midworldpress.com/store/...f83978b6982823
    I broke down and ordered a copy myself. This author has been on my radar for awhile. After reading a few reviews from some authors/reviewers whom I respect, I just couldn't pass. The review from Sadie Hartman (Mother Horror) on Goodreads is insane (and I have pretty much loved everything that she has recommended that I have purchased). Also doesn't hurt that I knew I would be passing on today's Suntup announcement which helped me talk myself into this purchase. I have never read this author and was planning to do so previously with Midworld's release of Those Across the River; however, I ultimately passed as the revisions the author chose to make for this edition rubbed me the wrong way. That being said, I do completely support any author's choice to do whatever they want with their art and am happy I could find another title by this author to try instead.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I see another pre-order up for MidWorld. Not really my favorite subject matter but I like the price point. I may give this a go.

Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman
    Christopher Buehlman invites readers into a darker age—one of temptation and corruption, of war in heaven, and of hell on earth…

https://www.midworldpress.com/store/...f83978b6982823

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    A few photos of Those Across the River.

TATR Spine.jpgTATR DJ Side View.jpgTATR no dj.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Too true. I bought BW in spite of the dj art, certainly not because of it. It’s really too bad, as there was such an opportunity to have something truly noirish and dark and midwestern American to befit the work, but instead it almost suggests a video game which I think tends to undermine the serious themes of the novel.
    No offense to the artist, but this is what held me off from buying the book. Just not my cup of tea.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I am still hopeful there is a change to this before production.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Too true. I bought BW in spite of the dj art, certainly not because of it. It’s really too bad, as there was such an opportunity to have something truly noirish and dark and midwestern American to befit the work, but instead it almost suggests a video game which I think tends to undermine the serious themes of the novel.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Blacktop Wasteland for the story and Ring Shout mainly for the art.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Yep. It's a nice looking book. I'm pleased with it.

It's hard for me to comment on price because I don't think I've come to grips with the current economy. :-)

It's comparable to other publishers and Midworld is certainly on my publishers to buy from list. Some of their titles aren't to my taste but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them in the future. I did order a copy of Blacktop Wasteland from them and still thinking about Ring Shout. Blacktop Wasteland for the story and Ring Shout mainly for the art.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Great looking book right?? I've ordered four books from them. Two have arrived and they were great looking, reasonably priced, collectible books. Looking forward to the next two.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    TATR arrived this morning. Woot!
    Great looking book right?? I've ordered four books from them. Two have arrived and they were great looking, reasonably priced, collectible books. Looking forward to the next two.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X