No announcement yet.

The Road--Folio Society Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it, but certainly agree the slipcase would have well-served to have cut-outs (maybe some charred trees?) like some of their other releases. I don’t otherwise mind the understated quality of it, though, as that echoes the theme of this stark work. Had it been a bright, glitzy, over-the-top production, it would have seemed ill-suited to the work.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It sounds like (here, at least) there's a small consensus that the Folio edition of The Road- is a bit lackluster? This is surprising. It looks so good - in the online photos, at least. I've honestly met very few Folio editions that left me "meh". Easton, sure, but rarely Folio. The Gaiman books, The Lovecraft, the Bradbury Something Wicked, heck, even their repackage of Brian Freeman's LRB edition of The Exorcist is one of my faves. I ask, because I was just about to order it, to replace my Suntup copy. Don't get me wrong- the Suntup edition is VERY nice- I just don't think I can hang onto it any longer now that it's a north of TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR BOOK. I mean- I just can't justify NOT turning that into.. oh lets say a good way towards my lifelong grail- a limited THE STAND. Was hoping the Folio edition on the shelf would appease that issue a bit, but ya'll are bumming me out. Anyone here actually like it?

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
        It sounds like (here, at least) there's a small consensus that the Folio edition of The Road- is a bit lackluster? This is surprising. It looks so good - in the online photos, at least. I've honestly met very few Folio editions that left me "meh". Easton, sure, but rarely Folio. The Gaiman books, The Lovecraft, the Bradbury Something Wicked, heck, even their repackage of Brian Freeman's LRB edition of The Exorcist is one of my faves. I ask, because I was just about to order it, to replace my Suntup copy. Don't get me wrong- the Suntup edition is VERY nice- I just don't think I can hang onto it any longer now that it's a north of TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR BOOK. I mean- I just can't justify NOT turning that into.. oh lets say a good way towards my lifelong grail- a limited THE STAND. Was hoping the Folio edition on the shelf would appease that issue a bit, but ya'll are bumming me out. Anyone here actually like it?
        I like it. But I wanted to love it. And to be clear I’m glad I own it. But the cover is way too busy and just the wrong artwork for such a bleak stripped down story. The interior is great with good art. Some of the illustrations are better than good. The slipcase is dull. Overall I would have preferred Something a little more special. I think the Suntup edition is perfect with the paper chosen and the brilliant art. But I can understand the temptation of selling it for a small fortune (relative to what you may have paid). The FS edition is not a suitable replacement for the Suntup edition but it should be a nice reading copy. I’d have been happier if FS charged less for their edition of charged a little more and done the story justice. The worst thing about it is the cover.

Comment

Unlike Jeff, I think the art on the front and back boards is pretty nice and suitable to the work...fire in the sky, charring on the earth. I wasn’t sold on it initially via pictures, as like Jeff I thought it a bit busy, but in real life it doesn’t come across nearly as busy...taken in whole, it’s balanced, relatively muted, and fairly striking. I prefer it, in fact, to the beige cloth of the Suntup numbered with its inset art of the two strolling casually in light windbreaker jackets (?!). The typography and interior layout is nice, and the full-color art inside is quite nice (better than Suntup’s, to my eye). There’s no getting around it...the slipcase in light gray is the epitome of bland, and the bright red endpapers are a misfire. But those two issues aside, Ron S., it’s certainly not ‘meh’ and I think it’s a worthy replacement for your Suntup, if you come out $2K ahead in the end.

EDIT: Speaking of cover art, I do still think that the 1st UK HC remains my favorite cover art of the three 1st eds. of the book I own. Not sure why, as it’s relatively staid, just a cool-manipulated photo, I believe, but there’s just something about it:
          https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...670573568?s=21
          Last edited by RonClinton; 03-28-2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful remarks, guys. Hmm.. I hate selling books I really like, but these prices right now are so tempting, and will probably be the peak, as I said in another thread, and could get me to otherwise previously untouchable Grails. If they do start heading down to "normal" levels- then I'm less easily tempted to part with a book I really like. Book Collector Dilemma 101!

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful remarks, guys. Hmm.. I hate selling books I really like, but these prices right now are so tempting, and will probably be the peak, as I said in another thread, and could get me to otherwise previously untouchable Grails. If they do start heading down to "normal" levels- then I'm less easily tempted to part with a book I really like. Book Collector Dilemma 101!
              Ron S., a couple more quick things: One, as someone who just sold an extremely desirable and valuable book to attain a Holy Grail of sorts, I can tell you it’s a very satisfying feeling, and the pain doesn’t last too long if you’re not a completist; Two, I’ve tagged you on my Twitter post for the Folio edition of THE ROAD that I’ll post in the next day or two...maybe some first-hand photos will help you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Ron S., a couple more quick things: One, as someone who just sold an extremely desirable and valuable book to attain a Holy Grail of sorts, I can tell you it’s a very satisfying feeling, and the pain doesn’t last too long if you’re not a completist; Two, I’ve tagged you on my Twitter post for the Folio edition of THE ROAD that I’ll post in the next day or two...maybe some first-hand photos will help you decide.
                Thanks, Ron. That sounds like good, seasoned Book Collector advice to me. Thanks for the Twitter Tag- I'm eager to see more.

Comment

Thanks, Ron. That sounds like good, seasoned Book Collector advice to me. Thanks for the Twitter Tag- I'm eager to see more.
                  Here’s a look at my copy: https://youtu.be/VixSqY9Jbf0

Comment

Okay. I took a few days off from looking at the book and picked it up again today. I like the cover art and really like the interior artwork. I think my issue comes down to the bland slipcase, the end-papers, the interior pages feel light, and the trim size of the book. The book itself feels a bit insubstantial.

I like, what I consider to be, the typical trim size on hardcovers and find the smaller trim size a bit off-putting even though there is very little difference.

All that being said if I had a Suntup copy of The Road which I could sell at the current rate, which would allow me to purchase a grail SK book, I think I would go for it. The Road is one of my favorite stories but I am happy with my 1st 1st and this copy from Folio.
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Did I see you give the book a quick smell? I would agree that a boring slipcase is better than no slipcase however the Folio one is so bland and boring it may detract from the book itself. IMO.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Here’s a look at my copy: https://youtu.be/VixSqY9Jbf0

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                        Did I see you give the book a quick smell? I would agree that a boring slipcase is better than no slipcase however the Folio one is so bland and boring it may detract from the book itself. IMO.

Just a whiff. A sample.

I guess I’m not that bothered by the boring slipcase. I would have preferred something on it but the gray matches the sky in the story. I really don’t like the cover. Too cluttered and the landscape with the chopping cart isn’t printed/reproduced clearly enough to have any impact. Just looks like a mess of bold black and red and too colorful for the washed out world The man and boy traveled.

Comment

. Just looks like a mess of bold black and red and too colorful for the washed out world The man and boy traveled.
                          I must admit, that’s a good point. A more muted approach would indeed have been truer to the story.

Comment

You guys are making me glad i saved the $90.00 !

Comment

Good man. I am a book sniffer as well.

Just a whiff. A sample.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post
                                You guys are making me glad i saved the $90.00 !
                                I'm still glad I own it. The interior art is wonderful and the story is still the best novel ever written.

Comment

Working...
                                X