No announcement yet.

The Road--Folio Society Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true. I just wish I had enjoyed TRUE GRIT a bit more to justify the price…this was my first reading of it, and iwhile it was quite good, it did not live up to the expectations I held for it.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post
      Now that FS orders require sales tax here in AZ, along with the nice markup they give themselves on the exchange rate it's becoming rather expensive to place an order with them. I really wish they'd at least toss us a bone and let us pay in pounds - would come close to offsetting the sales tax anyway.
      Yeah, their conversion markups are really annoying. I used to buy Folio editions in several at a time when they charged in Pounds and the shipping was a bit lower. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid...

Comment

Folio's design aesthetics are a little hit-or-miss with me. I don't know quite how I feel about THE ROAD. I was just browsing their site and the Letterpress Shakespeare series looks beautiful! I don't need $500 editions of OTHELLO and whatnot, but, man, those are some nice looking books!

Comment

I pulled the trigger and snagged The Road from Folio.

Since I was going to pay for shipping, I added a few other books to my shopping cart. Plus I had a $20 birthday gift code from them (it's totally not my birthday) - the code said $20 but when I applied it, it came to $50 after at first telling me that the code isn't even valid.

I snagged:
          • The Road
          • Jurassic Park
          • True Grit
          • Pride and Prejudice (for the wife)
          • The Selected Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (also for the wife)

Came to just over $300 but it's for a good cause - more books.

I really wanted their copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay but it was a little too pricey for me. Besides, a buddy of mine hooked me up with a 1st Print-1st Edition. I also almost nearly grabbed Gaiman's American Gods just for the Dave McKean art, but I reminded myself that no matter how many more copies of this book I buy, I'm still going to think it's an awful book.

Comment

Nice haul, TD! I have the Folio of TRUE GRIT, and visually it's very nice...I think you'll be pleased. In fact, TRUE GRIT is one of only two Folio books I own (the upcoming third being the soon-to-arrive THE ROAD), the other being LORD OF THE FLIES. I was a bit tempted by the new Angela Carter book, NIGHTS AT THE CIRCUS, but resisted. The new Gene Wolfe set also looks very nice, but fantasy fiction -- even renowned works like this -- just isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

I was a bit shocked to see that I only had two FS editions - for some reason I thought I had more. Oh, those two editions are: Dune and Murder on the Orient Express.

Comment

I’ve looked at that DUNE a number of times over the last couple/few years, but never pulled the trigger. I now hope to get the Centipede edition of it, but we’ll see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  Folio's design aesthetics are a little hit-or-miss with me. I don't know quite how I feel about THE ROAD. I was just browsing their site and the Letterpress Shakespeare series looks beautiful! I don't need $500 editions of OTHELLO and whatnot, but, man, those are some nice looking books!
                  The letterpress Shakespeare volumes usually go on sale for 1/3 off in April (Shakespeare's birthday), and are also available on the secondary market frequently below publication price.

Additionally there is an edition of 'Twelfth Night' for $80 that forgoes the half-leather binding, solander box etc, but adds a frontispiece by the Balbusso twins. It uses the same letterpress pages that were printed for the Letterpress Shakespeare editions. Apparently the editions didn't sell well enough and not all the printed pages were bound. More detail available on the LT forum for FS.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post

More detail available on the LT forum for FS.
                    What is the "LT forum?"

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

What is the "LT forum?"
                      I'm assuming that is in reference the the librarything website.However I'm not 100% sure.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

I'm assuming that is in reference the the librarything website.However I'm not 100% sure.
                        Yes - apologies for not being more clear.

Comment

Book cleared customs today!

Comment

My copy of The Road arrived today. I like it but I'm not overly thrilled with it for the price. The illustrations are very nice but I find the book lacking somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                              My copy of The Road arrived today. I like it but I'm not overly thrilled with it for the price. The illustrations are very nice but I find the book lacking somehow.
                              Agree. Seeing it in person is underwhelming. The more I look at it the more "meh" I am about it.

Comment

I also dislike that the slipcase spine is blank. Probably will not venture often to folio in the future.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Agree. Seeing it in person is underwhelming. The more I look at it the more "meh" I am about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X