No announcement yet.

Dark Tower: The Wind Through The Keyhole - DMG Limited Editions in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this thread is for the DMG edition but I didnt see another TWTTK thread. Anyway, the Kindle edition on amazon cost more than the Trade harcover. How does this make ANY sense?

Comment

I seriously don't get some of the ebook pricing. Everyone was going on and on when they were first showing up that they would be cheaper than books in print and so on...

Comment

At the SK event I attended in November, King talked about his frustration with some publishing houses because they had heavy investments in HCs and papberbacks and were thus reluctant to fully embrace the digital future of books; perhaps this is part of the reason a ebook is intially priced higher than the HC. The company wants to make it's money in HCs first.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
          At the SK event I attended in November, King talked about his frustration with some publishing houses because they had heavy investments in HCs and papberbacks and were thus reluctant to fully embrace the digital future of books; perhaps this is part of the reason a ebook is intially priced higher than the HC. The company wants to make it's money in HCs first.
          You're right, that's exactly why the New York publishers often sell their eBooks for $10 and more -- they don't want the eBook sales cutting into their HC sales. So when they price an eBook at $13 or $15, and Amazon discounts the hardcover by 40%, you end up with these weird situations where the HC costs more than the eBook!
          Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
          My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I'd like to see deals like they have w/ DVDs and digital copies. If you buy the HC, then they'd give you a digital version for free, or a greatly reduced cost. I know the publisher and the writer have to make their money, but really, once the electronic formatting is done, the only expense of an e-book is the download (no paper, printing, binding, or shipping).
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
              I'd like to see deals like they have w/ DVDs and digital copies. If you buy the HC, then they'd give you a digital version for free, or a greatly reduced cost. I know the publisher and the writer have to make their money, but really, once the electronic formatting is done, the only expense of an e-book is the download (no paper, printing, binding, or shipping).
              I agree on the free digital copy. But the publishers Dont and you know what happens? Teri finds ways to get free digital copies on her own. I am not paying twice specially when theres nothing pysical to the digital copy. Pay for the book, support the author(not that SK need it) and get the digital elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                I agree on the free digital copy. But the publishers Dont and you know what happens? Teri finds ways to get free digital copies on her own. I am not paying twice specially when theres nothing pysical to the digital copy. Pay for the book, support the author(not that SK need it) and get the digital elsewhere
                Me too. I don't want to pay twice either especially for what is essentially nothing.

Comment

It's probably not the same with the big New York publishers, but you'd be surprised how many sales of an ebook it takes to earn back the creation costs. I think again though the free digital copy is a great idea, it's something we'd like to try at some point, there just hasn't been anything where the cards fell in line to be able to do it yet.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

How does the creation of an ebook work, can't you take all the formatting done for the print version and save it as an ebook?

Comment

Should be the gist of it depending on the format of the original. Either way theres not alot of work to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                        Should be the gist of it depending on the format of the original. Either way theres not alot of work to it.
                        I do ebook creation on the side. It's actually a lot more work than you would think there is. I wish it was as easy as taking the work done for the print version and turning it into an ebook. A ebook is essentially just a web page. Where as print versions are much much more complex of files with tons and tons of formatting which doesn't translate into an ebook.

Instagram

Comment

Too bad there is no easy save as button.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                            Too bad there is no easy save as button.
                            We actually tried that. The finished product A. looks awful then and B. reads weird. As regular books are laid out with what called "Facing Pages" So Page one is on the left and page two is on the right. Well the ebooks don't understand that so they will read across the two pages. So it'll go like this, Page 1 Line 1, Page 2 line 2, Page 1 line 2 and so on.

Instagram

Comment

That's interesting. Maybe some company will make a better program that can do both.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking this could be solved by a smart program that would format it correctly to begin with and just easily convert the print version into ebook.

Comment

Working...
                                X