Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMerr

The Southern Reach Trilogy:
    The Deluxe Oversized Signed Special Edition!
    by Jeff VanderMeer

Lettered Edition SOLD OUT and
    Limited Edition Already 60% SOLD OUT!

This is the discussion thread for The Southern Reach Trilogy announcement!

CLICK HERE to purchase this product!

CLICK HERE to view the announcement!
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Yeah OK I guess I need a fourth copy of this series.

Comment

FYI this is almost sold out. If you where on the fence the next hour or two is probably your last shot.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

While I expected a sellout, I did not expect it with ~24 hours. Congrats!

Comment

I finally get a chance to post about this! First, I'm glad to hear that this is selling well. It seemed like there was a lukewarm reception from the initial postings and I momentarily doubted myself for getting pretty excited about this announcement. I am surprised that after the announcements stating how well it is selling, there are still some copies left.

On to the book, while I have yet to read the second or third books in the trilogy, I am finishing up reading the Annihilation for the second time. I picked up the trilogy after Sub Press raved about it and offered signed copies of the trade HC (I was wondering why they didn't do a limited, now I know!). Sometimes our experiences are tainted by expectations. I was expecting something completely different than what was delivered and struggled mightily with Annihilation, pretty much thinking it was a misfire until something clicked and I realized it wasn't the book, it was me. I finished my first reading a year ago and vowed to return at a later date.

This year, I kicked off my reading by revisiting Annihilation and while it has been slow-going--partly due to the book's pace, but mostly due to my severely diminished reading time--I have completely come around on the book and am thoroughly enjoying it. I don't know how the rest of the trilogy will pan out, but I'm excited to find out.

I also decided to decimate any budgetary concerns and snatched up a lettered copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            I finally get a chance to post about this! First, I'm glad to hear that this is selling well. It seemed like there was a lukewarm reception from the initial postings and I momentarily doubted myself for getting pretty excited about this announcement. I am surprised that after the announcements stating how well it is selling, there are still some copies left.

On to the book, while I have yet to read the second or third books in the trilogy, I am finishing up reading the Annihilation for the second time. I picked up the trilogy after Sub Press raved about it and offered signed copies of the trade HC (I was wondering why they didn't do a limited, now I know!). Sometimes our experiences are tainted by expectations. I was expecting something completely different than what was delivered and struggled mightily with Annihilation, pretty much thinking it was a misfire until something clicked and I realized it wasn't the book, it was me. I finished my first reading a year ago and vowed to return at a later date.

This year, I kicked off my reading by revisiting Annihilation and while it has been slow-going--partly due to the book's pace, but mostly due to my severely diminished reading time--I have completely come around on the book and am thoroughly enjoying it. I don't know how the rest of the trilogy will pan out, but I'm excited to find out.

I also decided to decimate any budgetary concerns and snatched up a lettered copy.
            I was one of the persons who hesitated when this one was offered. I have not read any of the stories. My hesitation comes from the fact that I have been reading about these stories for 3 years and the opinions have varied widely, from boring and unreadable to best book of the year. The concept intrigues me, and I like the fact the book will have exclusive content. So I did order the limited and we will see how I like the story.

Comment

Even though I jumped at the chance to order this, like you, I've hesitated reading these stories. I forget where I heard about them originally (probably io9.com) and the positive reviews were OH YES MUST READ NOW, whereas the negative reviews were I"M TOO OLD TO WASTE TIME EVEN READING THE COVER OF THIS PILES OF GUANO, I've never pulled the trigger.

I will now - what's another $20 or so on the collected edition after buying one of these LEs . . .

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I was one of the persons who hesitated when this one was offered. I have not read any of the stories. My hesitation comes from the fact that I have been reading about these stories for 3 years and the opinions have varied widely, from boring and unreadable to best book of the year. The concept intrigues me, and I like the fact the book will have exclusive content. So I did order the limited and we will see how I like the story.

Comment

I PASSED. I don't know how . . . but I did.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  I PASSED. I don't know how . . . but I did.
                  I did as well. I've read some of Vandemeer's other fiction, and it's just not for me. This trilogy may be different, but these days my TBR pile is just too big to take expensive gambles.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I passed. I have a ton of preorders with Camelot and Centipede's Dune is just around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      The reader reactions have varied wildly, as have my own. I don't think that I could ever call the book "unreadable" as Vandermeer has a solid handle of the craft and, I believe, accomplishes what he sets out to. It isn't a quick read, more deliberately paced than I had originally expected, the literary equivalency to sipping chocolate; rich and flavorful that can be exquisite in small doses but in large, indiscriminate gulps, its complexities can be lost. If the idea of a science fiction/weird tale mixed with Ramsey Campbell's technique of allowing the horror to creep in on the fringes only to be glimpsed at from the corner of your eye intrigues you, then this would be your cup of tea (...or sipping chocolate, I guess).

Frankly, I'm surprised that the book(s) have gotten such mainstream attention as it has. If I read it without any outside knowledge, I'd be one to think that--at least the first book--would live, and thrive, in the small press but would most be overlooked, dismissed, or misunderstood by general audiences. Of course, this still all based off my experience with Annihilation so maybe the next two books will change me opinion on that.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        I passed. I have a ton of preorders with Camelot and Centipede's Dune is just around the corner.
                        I am very much looking forward to Dune.

Comment

Oh gosh. Yes. Dune. I’m hoping I have the cash for this one. Paid for my Sounders tickets and now I’m basically eating ramen until payday.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Comment

In related news, did anybody jump on Vandermeer’s The Complete Borne from Subterranean? I’m not familiar with the book, but picked up the limited. Seriously considered a lettered but I couldn’t swing it after Centipede’s announcement of the new Ramsey Campbell books.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              In related news, did anybody jump on Vandermeer’s The Complete Borne from Subterranean? I’m not familiar with the book, but picked up the limited. Seriously considered a lettered but I couldn’t swing it after Centipede’s announcement of the new Ramsey Campbell books.
                              I am currently passing, that may change if it does not sell out quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X