No announcement yet.

[INDEXED]Doctor Sleep: The Deluxe Special Edition by Stephen King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing but not surprising as many King collectors as there is out there. Looks like a fantastic Production from CD. Unfortunately could not get afford both the gift and the S/L. I will just have to suffer with the S/L. I just happened to be home from Work the day it came up and fortunately checked the site. Well done CD, Congratulations Brian and Everyone at CD. Just got my Hats in yesterday very nice.

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

Did not plan on getting this one because I'm not to sure if SK could recreate the magic of The Shining and if it can become a classic like that book.

Bought the Subpress signed limited of The Shining (my first ever signed SK book and if I have my way of not giving into temptation this will be the only signed SK book I own to make it extra special, Gift Editions will do for the rest) and have extra cash to spare because my brother who's a super-duper Shining fan (that's the only book by SK he finished, something to do with the father-son relationship which he really digs) offer to sponsor and I took him up on the offer.

But then comes the news that the Gift Edition for this one will be selling out and memories of what happened to the FAB8 Gift Edition came to mind. That one sold out pre-publication (but not nearly as fast as this one) and is now very hard to find and commands more than double the retail price (which is unreasonably high for an unsigned Gift Edition). So I surrendered and manage to slot in a copy of the Gift a day before it sold out.

And since I'm already waist deep in SK for the year, I went ahead to the PS site and ordered both Anniversary Editions of Christine and Pet Sematary for good measure.

You small press publishers are really burning my pockets and it's just the beginning of the year

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyckf View Post
          You small press publishers are really burning my pockets and it's just the beginning of the year

Agreed. Already 2013 has been a great but costly year for King fans.

Comment

Time to burn the credit card.

Comment

Credit_Card_Cartoon.jpg

Not funny!!!
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Brian. Dan. Since you guys already have the production of this book well underway, you must have read the manuscript. I am not asking for spoilers or anything, both of you would most likely be bound by a non-disclosure clause anyway, but just want to know if it is anywhere near as brilliant and scary as The Shining? And in you guys' opinion will it achieve the classic status of The Shining?

Comment

HA! Good luck with tat one!
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Hey, it's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyckf View Post
                      Brian. Dan. Since you guys already have the production of this book well underway, you must have read the manuscript. I am not asking for spoilers or anything, both of you would most likely be bound by a non-disclosure clause anyway, but just want to know if it is anywhere near as brilliant and scary as The Shining? And in you guys' opinion will it achieve the classic status of The Shining?
                      I can say I absolutely loved the book. I think a new SK reader could pick up Doctor Sleep and enjoy it immensely, but for fans of The Shining, there are a lot of great moments where you feel the connection really come alive.

King avoids the usual traps of a sequel because he didn't just write the same story over again. (A lesser author would have already taken us back to the Overlook several more times in The Shining 2, The Shining 3, etc.)

Dan Torrance *feels* like an adult who was once Danny Torrance. The personal demons that haunt him are very real -- King puts his first-hand knowledge of alcoholism to great use.

There are so many great parts that could be spoiled if someone tells you too much before you dig in. In fact, I would strongly recommend everyone just put on blinders when it comes to the early reviews and go into the book fresh. Don't let anyone give away the moments that are so perfectly Stephen King that you want to read the book all over again as soon as you turn the last page.

Brian
                      Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                      My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I really can't wait for this one, and what you've written Brian makes me want to read it even more!

I know quite a few King fans are apprehensive about this one, but I feel it will be a King classic.

Comment

Yes, very excited now, hope one of the ARCs from ERC 2013 might just be Doctor Sleep

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                            I really can't wait for this one, and what you've written Brian makes me want to read it even more!

I know quite a few King fans are apprehensive about this one, but I feel it will be a King classic.
                            I've always been honest when a King story doesn't work for me, but Doctor Sleep REALLY worked for me. I can't wait to read it again during proofreading.

Brian
                            Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                            My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I'll help! I'm here for you, Brian!
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Considering the generous reply from Brian, I think my luck held up quite well
                                Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                HA! Good luck with tat one!

Comment

Working...
                                X