Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shining (in all its publication forms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theli
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    While there is a lot of variety in the small press world, there really isn't as much in the Stephen King small press world. At least there isn't when it comes to the artists that the "vocal" public tend to want for these books. It's usually people calling for like the same 5 or 6 artists / art styles. We're often guilty of it here at CD as well, we often will not go out of our comfort zone either.

This piece to me is a more modern art style. I wouldn't call it cartoonish, to me it's just more of a flat geometric style of art. It actually kinda reminds me of promotional art you would see for a Wes Anderson movie.
    I would actually argue that point for King. He has several artists that have touched his works. Though admittedly some have done multiple works for him there isn't one specific artist tied to King. However the same could not be said for many fantasy series. Often one artist will illustrate all covers of a series, or if not one artist one style that is emulated by others.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
    This is indeed the "South Park" cover; Google "south park kenny" to see what people are getting at.

I may lack the vocabulary to make myself clear, but as the lone person (in this thread) that doesn't like this cover, perhaps I can explain why (and, in my case, nothing to do with not wanting to see something different; there is a lot of variety in the small/niche press world, but this is the first thing that screamed "cheap cartoon" to me): I too like the suggestion of "barely restrained violence," but the lack of color gradation lent the whole thing a very unreal "construction paper" feel to me, which undercut whatever else the work might have been able to accomplish. Disaster movies sometimes have poor special effects where you can tell that the building being destroyed isn't a building but a model; if you've had that experience, this (for me) is a similar feeling - I feel like I'm looking at a model or toy, not an illustration of a real thing. If an abridged Shining were somehow produced for 10 year olds, this would be a fitting cover (IMO).

Again, not trying to talk anyone out of a positive opinion they might have on this piece, just trying to shed some light on how it strikes me.
    For what it's worth I was referring to the original trade hard cover from 1977 when I was referring to the "barely restrained violence".

The Shining art that got axed by SP doesn't quite have the same feel. I guess it could be implied by Jack in the door way. I do like it, but I don't love it. I do however generally like Gabriel Rodriguez's art. And his art in SP's NOS4A2 is top notch. Again, better resolution might reveal a more attractive art. This one seems a bit basic, but I do like it.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    I actually like the artwork just not for The Shining. It looks like it would be for a comic book version of The Shining. I'm all for changing things up but that piece never seemed right to me.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    I may lack the vocabulary to make myself clear, but as the lone person (in this thread) that doesn't like this cover, perhaps I can explain why (and, in my case, nothing to do with not wanting to see something different; there is a lot of variety in the small/niche press world, but this is the first thing that screamed "cheap cartoon" to me):
    While there is a lot of variety in the small press world, there really isn't as much in the Stephen King small press world. At least there isn't when it comes to the artists that the "vocal" public tend to want for these books. It's usually people calling for like the same 5 or 6 artists / art styles. We're often guilty of it here at CD as well, we often will not go out of our comfort zone either.

This piece to me is a more modern art style. I wouldn't call it cartoonish, to me it's just more of a flat geometric style of art. It actually kinda reminds me of promotional art you would see for a Wes Anderson movie.

Leave a comment:

• St. Troy
    replied
    Speaking of cartoony art, I don't expect anyone here to agree (I think it's pretty widely admired), but Jae Lee's cover (tiger leaning over a boy) for The Wind Through The Keyhole fairly screamed Bloom County at me.

Leave a comment:

• St. Troy
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Gabriel Rodriguez did a cover that many people panned as being to cartoonish. Not sure if this is the one refered to as the South Park cover. Not familiar to the show so I would not understand the reference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19408[/ATTACH]
    This is indeed the "South Park" cover; Google "south park kenny" to see what people are getting at.

I may lack the vocabulary to make myself clear, but as the lone person (in this thread) that doesn't like this cover, perhaps I can explain why (and, in my case, nothing to do with not wanting to see something different; there is a lot of variety in the small/niche press world, but this is the first thing that screamed "cheap cartoon" to me): I too like the suggestion of "barely restrained violence," but the lack of color gradation lent the whole thing a very unreal "construction paper" feel to me, which undercut whatever else the work might have been able to accomplish. Disaster movies sometimes have poor special effects where you can tell that the building being destroyed isn't a building but a model; if you've had that experience, this (for me) is a similar feeling - I feel like I'm looking at a model or toy, not an illustration of a real thing. If an abridged Shining were somehow produced for 10 year olds, this would be a fitting cover (IMO).

Again, not trying to talk anyone out of a positive opinion they might have on this piece, just trying to shed some light on how it strikes me.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    I do remember that now. I also remember saying that I liked it and that it was cool to see Rodriguez working on a King work, especially considering he'd worked with Joe Hill previously. Also worth note is that he did illustrate books before this, and not just comics. He did the illustrations for Peter S. Beagle's The Unicorn Sonatas. The font is garish though, and I think a larger higher resolution image would make the concept art stand out even more.

As far as art goes for The Shining I do really like the original cover art. I think it is a perfect match for the book. Along with the original 'Salem's Lot I would argue it to be among the best of King's trade editions. Eerie, and haunting with a gothic feel to it, but also a just barely restrained violence.
    Last edited by Theli; 01-19-2017, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I actually really like that cover. Not necessarily the text design (which I assume probably wasn't final), but I really dig the artwork. Doesn't really seem "cartoonish" to me at all. In general though I think most (not all) people in the SK collecting community tend to not like anything new or different. They pretty much want art from the same handful of artists, or at least in that same style.
    I agree with you. If I remember correctly people were complaining about the choice of artist before they even saw the first pieces. The main complaint being 'He is a cartoon artist, The Shining deserves a serious artist'.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    I actually really like that cover. Not necessarily the text design (which I assume probably wasn't final), but I really dig the artwork. Doesn't really seem "cartoonish" to me at all. In general though I think most (not all) people in the SK collecting community tend to not like anything new or different. They pretty much want art from the same handful of artists, or at least in that same style.
    I agree, Dan. Sometimes it's nice to see artists step outside the box and collectors in general need to remove sticks from certain orifices. Very good cover art IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Gabriel Rodriguez did a cover that many people panned as being to cartoonish. Not sure if this is the one refered to as the South Park cover. Not familiar to the show so I would not understand the reference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19408[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Theli View Post
    I was replying to slayn666's comment about the reprint, I actually didn't think about your initial comment regarding their printing practices. They definitely release different versions of the same book, Cantebury Tales is a good example as there is at least three different editions from Folio. With that said, I don't think they would be considered a second printing, unless it is directly the same as the print before it. In regards to the Shining, I actually contacted Folio to find out of The Shining was still in its first print, and was informed it was not. So it is the same edition as the first print, but in it's second printing now.

I remember that debacle Tommy. I also remember the response to The Shining cover art, I think it went through two different artists/covers before settling with Chong, one I suppose being the South Park cover. Do you know where we could see a picture of it?

The_Shining_by_Stephen_King_Cover_Art_Only_270_385.jpg
    Last edited by Martin; 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    I was replying to slayn666's comment about the reprint, I actually didn't think about your initial comment regarding their printing practices. They definitely release different versions of the same book, Cantebury Tales is a good example as there is at least three different editions from Folio. With that said, I don't think they would be considered a second printing, unless it is directly the same as the print before it. In regards to the Shining, I actually contacted Folio to find out of The Shining was still in its first print, and was informed it was not. So it is the same edition as the first print, but in it's second printing now.

I remember that debacle Tommy. I also remember the response to The Shining cover art, I think it went through two different artists/covers before settling with Chong, one I suppose being the South Park cover. Do you know where we could see a picture of it?

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    The Sub Press cover is for the gift edition. The signed edition was originally released without a dust jacket but so many collectors complained about rubbing on their copies that a dust jacket for it was issued after it was published. There was also an issue with ink/dye bleeding into the traycase and many had to be replaced.

Here is a pretty good write-up about all that. http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/...d/shining.html

The South Park cover was quite a debacle.

Personally, I really liked the FS edition much better in person. Photos don't really do it or the artwork justice.

Leave a comment:

• St. Troy
    replied
    I’m not sure if these:

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    Folio Society occasionally reprints their books. They did a second printing of Dune, for example.
    Originally posted by Theli View Post
    The Shining is already in its second printing. Any I know of more than one printing of one of their Cantebury Tales editions.
    …are in response to my comment that:

…once FS has sold out of an edition, they remove the listing from their site...
    If so, to clarify: while FS may indeed occasionally reprint (they don't quite operate like the presses typically discussed here), anything they aren’t selling is removed from their website. I mentioned this because I wanted anyone interested in checking FS out to understand that many of the works that FS devotees and collectors rave about won’t be found there (whereas a CD newbie can see all kinds of long-gone great stuff on the CD website). For example: the website lists the currently available $695 edition of Canterbury Tales, but not my preferred (and much cheaper) 1986 3-volume edition; also, my outstanding Winston Churchill The Second World War set (do take a gander: http://www.churchillbooks.com/detail...mNumber=200911).

If not...carry on.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    The Shining is already in its second printing. Any I know of more than one printing of one of their Cantebury Tales editions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X