Page 222 of 226 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 4508

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Devourer of Worlds Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I'm reading The Judas Murders by Ken Oder.

https://www.amazon.com/Judas-Murders...5702639&sr=8-1

I just started it and I'm already annoyed because one of the characters kills someone with a silenced Colt Python. Anyone who knows anything about guns (or did 30 seconds worth of research) knows that a silencer on a revolver does nothing to muffle the sound.

I guess I'll keep going and see if it's worth the effort.
    I felt that way about a book I read and it featured a lot of SCUBA diving - so much wrong about how the author described what was happening. The book wasn't bad, it just annoyed me.

Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I felt that way about a book I read and it featured a lot of SCUBA diving - so much wrong about how the author described what was happening. The book wasn't bad, it just annoyed me.
    Yeah, that's annoying

Right now I'm reading Moore's Law, which is a very good book (despite a few typos) about Gordon Moore. I thought my kindle was broken when it said I had over eight hours to go, but it's almost 600 pages. 75% of the way through it now.

Our world today - from the phone in your pocket to the car that you drive, the allure of social media to the strategy of the Pentagon - has been shaped irrevocably by the technology of silicon transistors. Year after year, for half a century, these tiny switches have enabled ever-more startling capabilities. Their incredible proliferation has altered the course of human history as dramatically as any political or social revolution. At the heart of it all has been one quiet Californian: Gordon Moore.

At Fairchild Semiconductor, his seminal Silicon Valley startup, Moore - a young chemist turned electronics entrepreneur - had the defining insight: silicon transistors, and microchips made of them, could make electronics profoundly cheap and immensely powerful. Microchips could double in power, then redouble again in clockwork fashion. History has borne out this insight, which we now call "Moore's Law", and Moore himself, having recognized it, worked endlessly to realize his vision. With Moore's technological leadership at Fairchild and then at his second start-up, the Intel Corporation, the law has held for 50 years.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Reading: The House of Silence by Avalon Brantley. Interesting and well written. Need to keep it going.

The Reddening by Adam Nevill I've always been happy with Nevill's work and this one is shaping up to be another good choice.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shazam! Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James. This book was simply excellent and one of the best novels I've read in a long time. I'm reading Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm also reading Snow Upon The Desert by J Russell Warren. I found SUTD on eBay and the book was really in pieces-no kidding. I got a deal on the book and paid to have it rebound. I began reading SUTD only to discover two pages were missing. There was not much info about SUTD online. The novel had been serialized in an Australian newspaper. Luckily I found the two missing pages and sent the book to the bindery again. So I'm now reading the book from the beginning-again (I didn't finish reading it the first time when I got to the part where I found there were two missing pages). I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 04-12-2020 at 03:08 AM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Slightly off Kilter 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Wow that was a lot work!

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Wow that was a lot work!
    I suspect that I won't run across another copy of Snow Upon The Desert. That was one reason to buy the poor book. The other reason was to save the book. Inside are listed four titles by the author, also rare and hard to find. Some of the books by this author can be very pricey.
    The hard to find titles for author J Russell Warren are A Bride For Bombay, Castle Enigma, Princess Proxy.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 04-12-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: To add more info.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Just finished a reread of Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One". Seems like people either love or hate this book. I land firmly on the love side. Just received the SubPress limited editions of Joe Lansdale's "Jane Goes North" & "The Sky Done Ripped" this week and will choose between one of those two options for my next read. Will probably go with "Jane Goes North" as I'm hoping to do a reread of the two earlier Ned the Seal books before I finish off the Trilogy with "The Sky Done Ripped".

Senior Member Get a Life, why don'tcha! bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Rereading The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale. Love this book!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished a reread of Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One". Seems like people either love or hate this book. I land firmly on the love side. Just received the SubPress limited editions of Joe Lansdale's "Jane Goes North" & "The Sky Done Ripped" this week and will choose between one of those two options for my next read. Will probably go with "Jane Goes North" as I'm hoping to do a reread of the two earlier Ned the Seal books before I finish off the Trilogy with "The Sky Done Ripped".
    I enjoyed it - didn't love it - I think it was because I wasn't as well-versed in video games as one would think.

This look also seems to experience revisioning. Maybe that's not the right word. It's a book that seems to be the cool thing to hate on. Whenever I come across people talking about it, there's almost a game of who hated it first. People loved this book - it sold a gazillion copies (give or take a few bajillion) and now every one hates it. \_(ツ)_/

I do know that Armada was no where near as good. Ugh.

I recently finished Loop by Benjamin Oliver. Not sure where I stumbled upon, but obviously I did and bought a copy of it. It was good - first part of a trilogy (because everything has to be a trilogy today - I know this is my "Old man yells at cloud" moment, but why is everything a trilogy?) that had a pretty good cliffhanger at the end. Fast read. I was entertained.

Last night I started Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. Not far enough in it to have much of an opinion yet, but it's reading easily enough. Definitely not a struggle like some other books (I'm looking at you A Hero Born from Jin Yong!)

Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Rereading The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale. Love this book!!!!!
    Brilliant book.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I enjoyed it - didn't love it - I think it was because I wasn't as well-versed in video games as one would think.

This look also seems to experience revisioning. Maybe that's not the right word. It's a book that seems to be the cool thing to hate on. Whenever I come across people talking about it, there's almost a game of who hated it first. People loved this book - it sold a gazillion copies (give or take a few bajillion) and now every one hates it. \_(ツ)_/

I loved READY, PLAYER ONE, and maybe I’m the exception but I’m not into video games at all. I just found it a compelling post-apocalyptic, alternate-reality story with engaging characters. But, man, yeah, ARMADA was god-awful.

And, yep, THE BOTTOMS is an incredible work.

Senior Member Get a Life, why don'tcha! bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I loved READY, PLAYER ONE, and maybe I’m the exception but I’m not into video games at all. I just found it a compelling post-apocalyptic, alternate-reality story with engaging characters. But, man, yeah, ARMADA was god-awful.

And, yep, THE BOTTOMS is an incredible work.
    That's why I'm rereading The Bottoms. It's an incredible story and I'm also trying to get back on track with novels. The last couple of months have been stressful. Concentration has been tough. The world is a very different place . I know I'm not alone distinguish thinking. Figured a familiar story would be a great way to get back on track. So far it's working

I finished reading Snow Upon The Desert by J Russell Warren. I'm reading Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm also reading The Narrator by Norman Prentiss & Michael McBride. I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I finished reading Snow Upon The Desert by J Russell Warren. I'm reading Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman. I'm also reading The Narrator by Norman Prentiss & Michael McBride. I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
    I really enjoyed The Narrator by Prentiss & McBride. I thought it was a solid read.

This is how I feel as well. Seems weird to hate on a book that was so popular/successful. A lot of the online hate seems to stem from "Gamer Gate" which I have no skin in since I don't play online videogames. Also see a lot of hate mention that the book was written for/from a chauvinist white male prospective. Didn't read/feel that way to me; however, I'm a white male (born in the 80's). Like you, I found Armada to be a complete letdown. Just finished the first book in the Ned the Seal trilogy, Zeppelins West. I really enjoyed the first book, but hated the ending. Way too abrupt. Can also tell that the book was never written with a sequel in mind as many major characters were killed. Loved the character/dialogue of Sitting Bull, had me laughing out loud. Have started 2nd book, Flaming Zeppelins. So far, so good, as long as you can get past a character returning who was very dead in the 1st book. Obviously had to bring the character back to make the sequel work. I can forgive that as I'm a huge Lansdale fan and these books are a bit absurdist/silly anyway.

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    This is how I feel as well. Seems weird to hate on a book that was so popular/successful. A lot of the online hate seems to stem from "Gamer Gate" which I have no skin in since I don't play online videogames. Also see a lot of hate mention that the book was written for/from a chauvinist white male prospective. Didn't read/feel that way to me; however, I'm a white male (born in the 80's). Like you, I found Armada to be a complete letdown. Just finished the first book in the Ned the Seal trilogy, Zeppelins West. I really enjoyed the first book, but hated the ending. Way too abrupt. Can also tell that the book was never written with a sequel in mind as many major characters were killed. Loved the character/dialogue of Sitting Bull, had me laughing out loud. Have started 2nd book, Flaming Zeppelins. So far, so good, as long as you can get past a character returning who was very dead in the 1st book. Obviously had to bring the character back to make the sequel work. I can forgive that as I'm a huge Lansdale fan and these books are a bit absurdist/silly anyway.
    That is a fascinating take for me. Like you I am not a gamer but read a lot about gamergate as it went on. I had never heard reference about this story facing a backlash from that. If people feel it is taking a side I could see how they would react negatively. I have not read the story but highly doubt the author intended it as an endorsement of the actions of that time. Thank you for sharing these views. You made me think about things and that is always a good thing.

TPS Report Monitor 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I liked Ready Player One and found it a quick and fun read. I'm not a gamer and never have heard of gamergate.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    That is a fascinating take for me. Like you I am not a gamer but read a lot about gamergate as it went on. I had never heard reference about this story facing a backlash from that. If people feel it is taking a side I could see how they would react negatively. I have not read the story but highly doubt the author intended it as an endorsement of the actions of that time. Thank you for sharing these views. You made me think about things and that is always a good thing.
    Thanks Martin. If you have a chance, you should check out the article link below. It explains the book's supposed connections to Gamergate. Much like yourself, I found myself fascinated by the whole Gamergate thing as it was going on even though I don't play online games.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/2...gate-explained

TPS Report Monitor 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I guess I'm dull or something. I still don't understand what gamersgate is/was.