Page 221 of 226 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 4508

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Junior Member Visitor
    The Ghost Hunters - Neil Spring.
    also the Joe Hill double issue of CD for short bedtime reads.

Shazam! Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading Persona by Genevieve Valentine. I really enjoyed Persona, the plot is hard for me to describe. Best just check Amazon if you're interested. There is a sequel to Persona. That is Icon by Genevieve Valentine. I am now reading The Sun down Motel by Simone St. James. I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    PROJECT MOONBASE AND OTHERS, Robert Heinlein, S/L HC from Subterranean Press.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Have started my Cemetery Dance-Justin Cronin re-read. Figured a nice long trilogy would hit the spot while having to be somewhat stuck in-doors. Finished "The Passage" this weekend. Have read it before, but, wow, do I really love this book! Am about halfway through the 2nd one, "The Twelve". In my opinion, while not quite up to "The Passage's" level of storytelling, still a great read so far (though there is one plotline thread that I am not enjoying and remember not particularly enjoying before).

Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Have started my Cemetery Dance-Justin Cronin re-read. Figured a nice long trilogy would hit the spot while having to be somewhat stuck in-doors. Finished "The Passage" this weekend. Have read it before, but, wow, do I really love this book! Am about halfway through the 2nd one, "The Twelve". In my opinion, while not quite up to "The Passage's" level of storytelling, still a great read so far (though there is one plotline thread that I am not enjoying and remember not particularly enjoying before).
    I LOVED the Passage. And could not have been more disappointed with the sequels. I didn't even finish City of Mirrors. Maybe too much time passed between reading The Passage and then reading The Twelve. I remember an insurmountable feeling of WTF?? with The 12. And City of Mirrors felt like a total mess. By that book, everything I loved about the trilogy was gone.

I'm reading The Time Machine--digging it!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I LOVED the Passage. And could not have been more disappointed with the sequels. I didn't even finish City of Mirrors. Maybe too much time passed between reading The Passage and then reading The Twelve. I remember an insurmountable feeling of WTF?? with The 12. And City of Mirrors felt like a total mess. By that book, everything I loved about the trilogy was gone.

I'm reading The Time Machine--digging it!
    I read THE PASSAGE when it came out and enjoyed it, but not enough to spur me into picking up the other two. Sounds like that was just as well.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly bsaenz24's Avatar
    We need to keep an eye on Jeff. At this point maybe it's just authors with 6 letters in their last name that he dislikes?? Hhhhmmmm..
    Last edited by bsaenz24; 03-30-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    We need to keep an eye on Jeff. At this point maybe it's just author's with 6 letters in their last name that he dislikes?? Hhhhmmmm..
    I'm not that bad.
    I liked The Passage.
    It's true there's been nothing I liked from Bentley Little (I've read The Circle, The Mailman, and didn't finish The Return).
    And I at least finished both Tudor books before banning her from my bookshelves forever.

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    We need to keep an eye on Jeff. At this point maybe it's just authors with 6 letters in their last name that he dislikes?? Hhhhmmmm..
    I have been looking for a pattern in his strange tastes. You may be onto something. I do have to agree that the 'Donut Soup' beer was probably bad though. Rogue Brewing hear made a Voodoo Donuts Maple Bacon Bar beer for a while. It tasted like liquid smoke with artificial maple flavoring added. Some flavors should not be mixed with beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have been looking for a pattern in his strange tastes. You may be onto something. I do have to agree that the 'Donut Soup' beer was probably bad though. Rogue Brewing hear made a Voodoo Donuts Maple Bacon Bar beer for a while. It tasted like liquid smoke with artificial maple flavoring added. Some flavors should not be mixed with beer!
    As I work my way through the back of the fridge (beer is not worth the risk of getting anything the docs can't treat) I'm finding really questionable beers. My next video will feature a beer that, in theory, should be exactly what I want, but turns out to be exactly the opposite.

Jeff, I also prefer dark beers — porters, stouts, brown ales and scotch ales, some ambers — but most of what I drink is inevitably regional stuff. But there is one that I really like which is brewed and sourced in the UK but is liberally distributed in the U.S., so you should be able to easily find it at your nearby upscale’ish grocer: Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale. It’s a perfect Duff Bucket accompaniment to any English author unboxing whose work favors character over pretentiousness of style, the traditional over the experimental.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576/

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.u...nut-brown-ale/
    Last edited by RonClinton; 03-30-2020 at 11:23 PM.

TPS Report Monitor 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I have to stay away from all dark beers these days. GI issues abound.

HEAT, William Goldman.

No connection to the great Pacino / Duvall film.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Jeff, I also prefer dark beers — porters, stouts, brown ales and scotch ales, some ambers — but most of what I drink is inevitably regional stuff. But there is one that I really like which is brewed and sourced in the UK but is liberally distributed in the U.S., so you should be able to easily find it at your nearby upscale’ish grocer: Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale. It’s a perfect Duff Bucket accompaniment to any English author unboxing whose work favors character over pretentiousness of style, the traditional over the experimental.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576/

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.u...nut-brown-ale/
    When I can venture back out to beer shop, you can be sure I'll be tracking down a bottle of this Nut Brown Ale.

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    When I can venture back out to beer shop, you can be sure I'll be tracking down a bottle of this Nut Brown Ale.
    Could be a while so her a a D.I.Y. kit for it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Best-...5686658&sr=8-4

Senior Member Get a Life, why don'tcha! bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Reading a lot of short stories and novellas lately. Anyone else having a hard time with longer books with all that's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Reading a lot of short stories and novellas lately. Anyone else having a hard time with longer books with all that's going on?
    My reading has about ground to a halt. Unfortunately it is due to a more personal situation. I averaged ten books a month last year. March will finish with five. I am also finding that re-reads are working better for me as my mind has a habit of wandering and if I do not know the story I keep having to go back and read a section again.

Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices
    I'm reading The Judas Murders by Ken Oder.

https://www.amazon.com/Judas-Murders...5702639&sr=8-1

I just started it and I'm already annoyed because one of the characters kills someone with a silenced Colt Python. Anyone who knows anything about guns (or did 30 seconds worth of research) knows that a silencer on a revolver does nothing to muffle the sound.

I guess I'll keep going and see if it's worth the effort.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Finished up Behold the Void by Philip Fracassi this morning. A very good collection of weird fiction stories. A lot of the current crop of weird fiction writers could learn a thing or two from Fracassi. Tell a damn coherent story in your fiction and not to be weird just for weird's sake!!

Plan on starting Blackwater by Michael McDowell tonight.

B

Slightly off Kilter 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Flipping through The Collected memoirs of Charles Willeford, I was Looking for a Street And Something About a Soldier. Willieford was a man well acquainted with hard times and how to overcome them. His closing line in Something about a Soldier still rings true to me. "It just went to prove that all a man had to do in the Army was live right, work hard, and all the good things would eventually come his way. It had certainly worked out that way for me." He passed away at the age of 69 in 1988, just before he hit it big as a Mystery writer. Read him if you get a chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed.