No announcement yet.

So, why did the winners win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having a kid certainly helps with the age thing. I find myself a bit more youthful, acting at least, now that I have to enterain a 10 mos old. I'm just a big ole clown to him, or a big toy, or a waiter, or a remote control. At least I get to watch cartoons again, even if they are all weird, strange, and devoid of violence...
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
      We knew that when you said you loved your David Gilmour DVD.
      Oh, that is priceless. Thanks, I needed that.

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
        having a kid certainly helps with the age thing. I find myself a bit more youthful, acting at least, now that I have to enterain a 10 mos old. I'm just a big ole clown to him, or a big toy, or a waiter, or a remote control. At least I get to watch cartoons again, even if they are all weird, strange, and devoid of violence...
        Yeah, the youngun makes you feel younger, until you have to start chasing him around. Then it evens out again. And as far as the cartoons goes, buy some DVD sets of the good stuff. I've got my 4 year old in love with Droopy and Bullwinkle, and the great old Warner Bros. cartoons. Right now it's Tweety, but I'll get him switched over to Bugs and the Roadrunner/Coyote in time.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
          For me, the best way to learn is to study others and what makes them successful or unsuccessful. So I'm not asking why you voted for whom you voted but why, in general, made this set of stories "winners"?

I voted mainly on story. I'm not impressed by flourishy prose; in fact, I find it obnoxious. I like a good story and even in horror fiction, I get irritated when the story doesn't make sense. Anyway, I didn't originally vote for many of the final 10 so I wonder what I'm missing... help me out!

thanks
          RJ
          Well, I don't like flowery writing, because I think it sounds like you're just trying too hard to be a good writer, but I do want it to flow nicely so it's pleasing to read. Story is another main component to my selections, and I also want a believable dialogue. Something that doesn't sound like it came from a cheesy soap opera.
          www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

My wife loves Twilight... Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
              My wife loves Twilight... Sigh.
              LOL! So does mine...
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                LOL! So does mine...
                Mine saw the first one... I think she forgot there was more. Lets just say that I won't be the one to remind her. Especially since I got her to start reading The Dark Tower and Song of Ice and Fire.

Comment

Working...
                X