X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercuryval
    replied
    Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    Very subjective. 5 different people will enjoy 5 different things. Otherwise we wouldn't have 2 camps on the Twilight thing.
    Yes, definitely. I teach high school, and my students LOVE Twilight, so I read the first book to see what they were talking about. While it wasn't the greatest book I ever read, I do give the author credit for making a marketable book for the young adult market--it spread like wildfire through my high school. Even some of the guys were reading it! I agree--write what you want and what makes you happy. If you're passionate about what you write, it will come through in your work.

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    Originally posted by mercuryval View Post
    That's for sharing all these thoughts. A lot to think about regarding what makes a story "good" versus "marketable." It's such a subjective profession!
    Very subjective. 5 different people will enjoy 5 different things. Otherwise we wouldn't have 2 camps on the Twilight thing. Some people will scream all day that it's shit and shouldn't be read, while others adore the books. I try not to be a snob about reading but so many are. Just because I don't enjoy something doesn't make it shit. There are also those 'elitists' who think that if anything gets a mainstream following, it can't be worth anything. Write what you write, there will always be someone out there that loves it and someone that hates it.

Leave a comment:

• mercuryval
    replied
    That's for sharing all these thoughts. A lot to think about regarding what makes a story "good" versus "marketable." It's such a subjective profession!

Leave a comment:

• Nik Houser
    replied
    Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    Write what you write, then BUILD a market for it through social networking
    Definitely in that order. You can tell when a writer is just writing for their audience, rather than uncorking some rad thing inside them that they just have to get out on paper. The former feels flat and forced. The latter can be magic. I say "CAN" because being excited about writing something doesn't mean it's good. I have to remind myself of this all the time. Just as many people fall into the trap of losing themselves in the subjective "Oh man, my writing is SOOOOO good" as the folks whose writing is flat because they're trying too hard to sound a certain way. In fact, a lot of beginners do BOTH. Which is why it was really cool to see some first time writers in this contest fall into neither trap, while some bestselling authors fall prey to those things on a regular basis. In my opinion, at least.

Leave a comment:

• Nik Houser
    replied
    Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    Thank you, all. Especially Terry and Craig; I gained a lot from your posts. You both can tell that I am that much of a newbie, eh? Perhaps my problem is that I am a greedy capatilist and feel that if i am going to write for me, which I do, I might as well see if there is a market for it.
    There's nothing wrong with searching for a market for your work. With VERY few exceptions, writers want people to read their work. Even most of the ones who claim they don't care.

Leave a comment:

• Nik Houser
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
    i voted for the stories that immersed me the most, took me away, and didn't lose me with weak writing - there was enough polished material here that i could have picked 2-3 stories out of each group and felt comfortable doing that - the ones that lost me were cliched at times, weak openings, poor formatting, and a story that didn't really go anywhere, and didn't have a powerful ending
    Ditto.

Leave a comment:

• RichardThomas
    replied
    i voted for the stories that immersed me the most, took me away, and didn't lose me with weak writing - there was enough polished material here that i could have picked 2-3 stories out of each group and felt comfortable doing that - the ones that lost me were cliched at times, weak openings, poor formatting, and a story that didn't really go anywhere, and didn't have a powerful ending

Leave a comment:

• swampdonkey
    replied
    A lot of the stories I voted for did not make the cut. But I just have to say that stories where the characters grab you are what draw me. The stories I really enjoyed and struggled to decide who to vote for where: Pin and the one about the guys in the car- rain? maybe. I really felt that the characters drew you in instantly. I felt for Pin when he was worried about cutting his strings and using the stick to open the lock. And in the rain one- the characters instantly drew you in by how they talked and how the main character told the story. I really enjoyed reading all the stories. Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Randy D. Rubin
    replied
    I think the guys from that group, SUPERTRAMP said it best when they coined the phrase, "BLOODY WELL WRITE...)

Leave a comment:

• Draven Ames
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
    Thanks, RJ.

I think, and i'll add this now before i forget, a name has swayed me into reading a story too. Not the title of the story, you understand, but the name of the author. C.W. pulled me in right away, so did Draven. MLD, too. For a long time I believed a name can help you get noticed and was thinking of writing under a pseudonym. But i had quite a few stories published by that time, which meant my theory was wrong, and also, I didn't want to lose any kudos I may have gleaned in the process of being published. it's strange how the mind works.

But yes, let me extend my thanks once again for the vote. Too cool of you.
    Thank you for the compliment. I was just happy when you got that final surge. As to the rest, I'll keep my opinion to myself. Great contest and good people.

Leave a comment:

• Craig Wallwork
    replied
    Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    You both can tell that I am that much of a newbie, eh?
    Not at all. You sound like a seasoned writer harvesting advice to help him write wonderful prose.

I eat a lot because I'm tall. My mother used to say, "You're always hungry, Craig. You'll eat us out of house and home." And my dad would retort, "It's when he stops eating we need to worry." Don't stop consuming information, RJ.

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    Originally posted by WesleySouthard View Post
    No doubt. This was my first venture into non-supernatural horror, and I was quite pleased with the result. And congrats on the win, by the way!
    Thanks! And you should be pleased, it was a good story

Leave a comment:

• WesleySouthard
    replied
    No doubt. This was my first venture into non-supernatural horror, and I was quite pleased with the result. And congrats on the win, by the way!

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    I liked your story quite a bit, Wesley. Had I not voted for myself in the finals, it would have been very hard to pick between a few of the other finalists. There were some very strong stories in there, and they were all such different examples of horror.

Leave a comment:

• WesleySouthard
    replied
    My dad has always told me: Write what makes you happy, and if other people like it then that's just a plus. I write what's interesting to me and have been lucky enough to sell my first three stories this year on that principle. And, honestly, I've never found it all that scary for people to read my work. It's more curiosity than anything. The only thing I was disappointed with was myself in this contest. I submitted the story before my pre-reader sent back his edits, and I was quite pissed at myself with finding out I had left out some words here and there, and there were some lines that needed a bit of work. Other than that, the story came out exactly the way I wanted it to, with the ending exactly the way I wanted it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X