No announcement yet.

Writing Contest Final Round!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is it guys! Last day. Whowever not's voted, please, if you have the time, check out the stories and help someone get into CD.

Good luck!

Comment

It is the last night of voting and my sanity has finally returned as the alligator prepares to leave.

“Well it’s been a slice, you middling ape.” he says.

“Thanks, I think?” I reply.

“Believe me, considering the genetics you have to work with, it’s a compliment.”

“If you say so. I’m just glad you are over that whole sympathetic act.”

“Considering the rather thorough beating you took in the final round, I was just trying to be nice.”

“You are a true humanitarian.”

“Humanitarian? Please, don’t insult me. That concept is just a delusion all you glorified baboons came up with to make yourselves feel superior.”

“I’m glad to see that our time together hasn’t softened your disposition.”

“Never happen.” He turns to leave. “But I have to admit that this whole experience was a hell of a ride.”

“Yeah.” I agree, “One hell of a ride.”

Comment

Haha. You did well, Mike, take no notice of that alligator.

Plus, didn't you just get a vote? The race ain't over yet, buddy. Hare and the tortoise. Hare and the tortoise.

(plus, I've just realised the irony surrounding the title of my story )

Comment

BTW - if there is a tie, does that mean the loser of the tie-break defaults to the next position? So if there's a tie for 1st, the loser drops to 2nd? And then, 2nd, as a result, drops to 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
            Haha. You did well, Mike, take no notice of that alligator.

Plus, didn't you just get a vote? The race ain't over yet, buddy. Hare and the tortoise. Hare and the tortoise.

(plus, I've just realised the irony surrounding the title of my story )
            Wow, I did just get one! Thank you whoever voted! It sure was lonely back there. Now if I could just get 8 more votes...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
              I think my jockey fell off when "Rudy" stepped in a hole or something. Definitely fading, falling to the back of the pack. Hell of a race guys.
              I thought your story was excellent. My opinion isn't in danger of swaying anyone here and causing a landslide change on the last day, so I'll go ahead and say that while there were some fine stories in this batch, yours got my vote.

On a more general note, it was actually easier than I thought it would be to vote. Not because the stories I didn't vote for were bad (far from it), but because everyone in this final round had their own very clearly defined voice and style. Richard's spoke most to me, combined with the technical stuff I look for in prose, but I can easily see how other voices in this contest would appeal to other readers. This being a horror contest, I've seen a remarkable range of styles and subject matter for a genre which, more than any other, can quickly fall prey to repetition and cliche. So, well done you guys. I enjoyed every damn story I read. I also made a few notes on some of the stories, which I will post later on.
              www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Good luck on the last day, you guys!

Comment

Thanks, Nik. That means a lot coming from you. I just mailed "Rudy" off to the Borderlands 6 anthology that MLD suggested, so I haven't given up on that story yet. It's almost like getting a peek behind the curtain at a magazine or journal. You know the acceptance rate is 5%, and you know they get 110 submissions a month, but when you get the form rejection, could you ever imagine the insanity that is going on behind the scenes? A lot of great stories here, and not just in the finals, but overall.
                  FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                    ... could you ever imagine the insanity that is going on behind the scenes? A lot of great stories here, and not just in the finals, but overall.
                    Would you like to be part of that? I've got hundreds of stories in a slushpile and dozens in a "maybe" pile that need to be gone through for the final issue of Dark Recesses. I'd love to get some help if I could. It is insanity.

MLD

Comment

Oh MLD, I wish I had the time. I like the work that DR is doing for sure, but I have too much on my plate as it is right now. Thanks for asking. I'm sure there are a ton of people here that could be first or second readers for you though. I've edited for several magazines in the past, and it is a full-time job. I might be up for a guest editor gig at some point in the future. PM me if you want to talk. Wait, did you say FINAL issue? Is DR closing?
                      FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Yes, DR is closing. I only took it over as a favor to keep it from going under. Actually, I was promised that my responsibilities would be limited, but I ended up doing just about everything myself. I handed over the mag to the original editor who wanted to come back and then nothing happened for months. I volunteered to come back to do the final issue and put DR to rest with some dignity.

I’ll accept any help I can get so if somebody reading this is interested, please PM me and we’ll talk.

Thanks,

MLD

Comment

Heading out for the day, but wanted to wish everyone luck for the last few hours this contest runs. Great stories, and gratz to the winners ahead of time as I will be out for most of the day. You all were well deserving, and with all of you getting some votes, it shows that point. And thanks to CD for providing us all of this fun. Good luck.
                          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Just checking in here. Its not over yet, but good luck here on the last 2 hours. I will be in touch with the winners when I get back.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Only 69 people voted, I thought there'd be a lot more active members... oh well. Good Luck to all of the winners

Comment

I just voted... nothing like waiting until the last minute (give or take). ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X