X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peteOcha
    replied
    Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    ah i get it! So what Dan's saying is that i need to write a story about Preston Picadilly, a kid wizard while on a Vatican fieldtrip, encounters an albino medium who tells him about some evil of the Catholic Church invovling universe-hopping gunslingers and an insightful golden retriever... is that right, Dan?
    Actually... You could be on to something there...

Leave a comment:

• RJHubbard53
    replied
    ah i get it! So what Dan's saying is that i need to write a story about Preston Picadilly, a kid wizard while on a Vatican fieldtrip, encounters an albino medium who tells him about some evil of the Catholic Church invovling universe-hopping gunslingers and an insightful golden retriever... is that right, Dan?

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    I'm no writer, but with my few experiences in the field. The biggest key to making a living at writing, is learning to write what sells. Sadly what sells is not always what everyone wants to write. Also, what sells can be very hard in the horror field, especially if you are trying to sell your stuff to the New York publishers. They are harsh critics, that don't buy a lot of horror.

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    Gah, you all are depressing me talking about your finances or lacktherof.
    There are many writers out there able to make a living out of it. You just need a little luck to get there...and some talent I'd reckon . But it can be had. One of the most valuable things I have learned along my path is that colleagues are colleagues, so you shouldn't expect them to become fans. If they become a fan, that is fabulous, but they are more likely to be supportive of your initial struggle at least, as you should theirs. If you focus on the group that truly comprises a fan base I think you'll be better off in the long run. That base of people is much harder to round up though. The Cons are a great place to start though.

Leave a comment:

• RJHubbard53
    replied
    Gah, you all are depressing me talking about your finances or lacktherof. I would really like to be a writer, just as much as i wanted to be an archaeologist - they have something in common - neither seem to be financially lucrative unless you're King, Koontz, Stein, or Brown. I like my boat, ipads, TVs, cars, vacations, and delicious food. I don't really want to go back to milk and kidney beans. Perhaps its better to write as a hobby; If I had to really depend on it, it wouldn't be any fun...

Back on topic, I plan to make it to neon one of these days; seems fun

Leave a comment:

• RichardThomas
    replied
    haven't been to WHC or Necon, might hit Bouchercon in St. Louis later this year - you're all welcome to come to Chicago for AWP next year (probably too literary for most)

Leave a comment:

• KT Wagner
    replied
    I've attended SIWC for the last decade. Jay Clarke/Micheal Slade is a regular. This year I have a blue pencil app't with Robert McCammon (!!)

In August, I'll be at the Willamette writers conference. In late September VCon.

Is anyone else attending any of these?

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    I keep hoping for lightning to strike (as in my wallet magically fills) and then I'll be able to go to all of these LOL. I may end up at the Baltimore Lit fest and/or Horror Realm in Sept though. I was supposed to go to one in Kentucky to talk with a director, but I couldn't swing that one with my fridge, shower, and couch all blowing up at once.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Thad Linson View Post
    I'm going this year. I can't wait for it.
    Very cool. I won't be able to this year, but I'm hoping next year to get CD to have a booth there. I also wanna talk Rich and Brian into doing a CD booth at the Baltimore Comic-Con

Leave a comment:

• Thad Linson
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Very cool guys! If anyone ever decides to go to Necon let me know, I've thought about going as it's not that far away from here. Plus I've been meaning to bug Brian and Rich about having a booth at it again.
    I'm going this year. I can't wait for it.

Leave a comment:

• Draven Ames
    replied
    I'm hoping to be able to afford going to Killer Con this year. Should be fun.

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    I see a lot of authors saying they won't be able to afford many of the Cons this year. I am imagining that will affect the amount of these we see popping up in the future unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    After continuing my love affair with Google, I realize that Necon will probably be a never for me since I live in the Midwest. The World Horror Convention is only happening because of my wonderful publisher, but it will be a considerable out of pocket expense. My beloved and I will be going together, since he is a huge fan of horror and in five years together, we have never had a vacation. I am looking forward to it immensely!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    Not completely sure what Necon is, but I will be googling it now!
    That's alright I had to google WHC

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Very cool guys! If anyone ever decides to go to Necon let me know, I've thought about going as it's not that far away from here. Plus I've been meaning to bug Brian and Rich about having a booth at it again.
    Not completely sure what Necon is, but I will be googling it now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X