Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you choosing titles for your work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ozmosis7
    replied
    For the title of my first book, "These Trespasses" came from a repeated text. Once I had it in there twice it just sort of felt right. "Grave Revelations" actually was text I pulled out of the 1st book. Those came easy to me. Most don't though, and an interesting feature in my crit group is that they grade the title. Cafedoom has a really good structure and sometimes just getting a grade on your title makes you dig deeper.

Leave a comment:

• KT Wagner
    replied
    I love this thread! I love learning about how others handle writing challenges. Titles are a hurdle for me.

Great ideas - I wish I could add something clever but...

...oh well. Back to work on my untitled WIP.

KT

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    LOL! That is a funny site. Bookmarking it. Never know.

Ever fool with this?
    http://iwl.me/

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by mlouisdixon View Post
    Well, use the Random Title Generator--of course!

MLD
    Oh man I love those random name generators. The Prison Bi*#h Name generator is the best. I think I remember my one high school history teacher being "Tossed Salad".... lol (sorry off topic)

Leave a comment:

• mlouisdixon
    replied
    Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    How do you choose a title for your work?
    Well, use the Random Title Generator--of course!

MLD

*Got these:

Chocolate-Covered Effluvium
    Impulsive Cadavers
    Putrid Frogs
    Frozen Humans With Digital Verisimilitude
    Last edited by mlouisdixon; 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM. Reason: To add a couple of titles

Leave a comment:

• Nik Houser
    replied
    Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    thanks, all. It is a very small piece but its better than nothing; kinda feel silly about even mentioning it
    F*CK THAT. Say it loud and proud, man. You've earned it.

Leave a comment:

• RJHubbard53
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
    RJ - I think you need to christen the Acceptance thread. Congrats.
    when it's more than an email and i have a link to the announcement, i will

Leave a comment:

• Craig Wallwork
    replied
    RJ - I think you need to christen the Acceptance thread. Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    Yes, I missed that. Gratz on the acceptance.

Leave a comment:

• RJHubbard53
    replied
    thanks, all. It is a very small piece but its better than nothing; kinda feel silly about even mentioning it but a credit is a credit, no?

Leave a comment:

• Randy D. Rubin
    replied
    Congratulations RJ! I love to hear when someone gets published, gets their foot in the proverbial door. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    RJ, again congrats on that acceptance. When everything is finalized, you'll have to let us know when & where to pick it up.

As far as titles are concerned, I"m never too happy with mine. They're usually just a noun describing the main part of the story. Sometimes the title writes the story, and sometimes vice versa (like most everyone else here). Now I love when the title can be taken two ways, or even several different ways. If you've ever seen the cover of Rush's album "Moving Pictures" there's at least 3 different interpretations of the phrase in the cover art. I've got one story idea that I'm trying to use nearly every English definition of a certain word in the context of the story, to give it meaning on several different levels.

But don't let the title stress you out. If you've ever seen a list of Seinfeld episodes, they always went with very simple titles (The Contest, The Jacket) with the intention of keeping the writers focused on the script and not trying to think of some cutesy title for the episode. Your title can come from a line of the story, a character name or nickname, or the theme of the tale. Some people use the last line of the story, but I usually don't like that since the whole story seems like a set-up of a joke.

Leave a comment:

• RJHubbard53
    replied
    Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
    And HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on being published! Is this your first acceptance?
    thanks, Nik! Yep, my first submission (aside from this contest) and my first acceptance. I'll try not to let it go to my head

Leave a comment:

• Craig Wallwork
    replied
    Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
    Those are some outstanding title's, Craig. Sigourney Weaver Stole My Shadow is fan-fucking-tastic.
    Thanks. Hopefully Sigourney Weaver will never reads it, otherwise she may sue me. :O

Leave a comment:

• Nik Houser
    replied
    Those are some outstanding title's, Craig. Sigourney Weaver Stole My Shadow is fan-fucking-tastic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X