Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmcraven View Post
    Hi Draven- That's a legal question that depends on the unique facts of your endeavor and should be answered by an IP attorney. Without offering a legal opinion on this question, I would bet that some quick online research will lead you to decide that it's best to err on the side of caution. You could probably find a creative way to convey your message while avoiding any potential legal issues.

I look forward to reading your submission- Best of luck!
    I think I'll go edit my story to reflect your advice. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think quoting anything is legal as long as you site the reference in your work. Don't quote me on that though.
      That is more often true when you are using the material for educational, non-profit purposes, like a reasearch paper, but it doesn't apply the same for commercial endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
        I think I'll go edit my story to reflect your advice. Thank you.
        No problem- You're welcome

Comment

I notice the story 'Sticky Rules' by Dan Hocker appears to have the most views so far.
          http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JJ Holden View Post
            I notice the story 'Sticky Rules' by Dan Hocker appears to have the most views so far.
            I know, isn't it just an amazing story......
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I know, isn't it just an amazing story......
              It is, the title is so catchy. "Sticky Rules"... makes you wonder what's going on in there...

Comment

In regards to quoting, most places I have found prefer to stay away from it. There is a very fine line there. While I believe quoting is accepted when referenced, the light in which it is conveyed also determines its legality I believe. So most don't mind a mention, say of an Author and the title of their book, but when it comes to quoting--it gets very sticky, so I would avoid such things. I'm no pro on the subject, but that is my two cents. Hope it helps.
                Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I've just thought of another voting issue. If everyone gets to vote for only one story and they vote for their own story, there might be a huge tie for the lead. If there were a way to create the poll with each voter getting to vote for 3 stories, it would become much more balanced. I'm sure there will be more voters than writers, but I don't expect it to be a huge number more.

Now, it wouldn't be fair for this contest, since rules have already been established, but maybe a future contest could have the field cut down by the staff of CD, like the "name the chapbook" contest.
                  "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                    Now, it wouldn't be fair for this contest, since rules have already been established, but maybe a future contest could have the field cut down by the staff of CD, like the "name the chapbook" contest.
                    Or just add the rule that nobody can vote for their own story.

Comment

I've just thought of another voting issue. If everyone gets to vote for only one story and they vote for their own story, there might be a huge tie for the lead. If there were a way to create the poll with each voter getting to vote for 3 stories, it would become much more balanced. I'm sure there will be more voters than writers, but I don't expect it to be a huge number more.
                      I had the same concern and was about to put it here. If we can somehow expand the voting, that would certainly alleviate this potential problem.
                      "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

Or just add the rule that nobody can vote for their own story.
                        This would be ideal, but is there any way to enforce this? I doubt the Honor System would work here.
                        "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

Originally posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
                          This would be ideal, but is there any way to enforce this? I doubt the Honor System would work here.
                          I would guess/hope the polling system would record who made what vote.....it would take manual effort to make a list of who posted each story.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post

I think both of these ideas sound pretty good though that'd require them to work even more by requiring them to read and make their owns picks to put up to a vote, lol.

It'll be interesting to see how the voting works since there will be so many entries.

One idea I just had is to split them into different polls. Could be just 3 and the winners of each are the winners, though that could be bad depending on how they are split up. What could work in splitting the stories up and taking the top few from each poll and then doing a new poll with just those and the top 3 from there could be the overall winners. Depending on the number of stories, could split the polls into like 3-5 and then take the top 3-5 from each and have those be the final ones to vote on. Splitting them up could be done by the number of views each has, so that stories only viewed a small number of times are up again those with more views, and then provide links to each story in the final poll so people are more likely to read them.

I came up with all that as I typed it, lol
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Or just have people vote publicly, not allowing them to vote on their own story. No poll, just a post saying who you vote for.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                                Or just have people vote publicly, not allowing them to vote on their own story. No poll, just a post saying who you vote for.
                                That will be a lot more work for Dan and/or the rest of the staff. Hopefully the I.T. guys can figure out an easy way for them.
                                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X