Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronové View Post
    Apparently this forum has a feature that lets you "rate" threads.
    Ah. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
      And I imagine that's how it'll stay. Every author will give his own story five stars, then others will give it less to knock it out of the four- or five-star rating. Haha.
      I have to say that once I saw that someone had started rating the threads I had to take action. I certainly value my story at more then one star! I'm also really shocked (not sure why I am) that people will give other peoples stories a one star rating. I've read almost all the stories now and certainly would not consider anyones story to be terrible.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

And thread rating has been removed from that section of the forums. Also I bumbed the number of votes required to display the rating up, so that the one's that where already rated no longer display their ratings.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          And thread rating has been removed from that section of the forums. Also I bumbed the number of votes required to display the rating up, so that the one's that where already rated no longer display their ratings.
          Nicely done! Although i was reading stories and tried to give them a rating based on how i really felt about them, i can see how the rating system could be abused.

And as copefiend2, i don't see any stories here that should get 1 star.

Comment

Thumbs up for Dan! I think it's better without the thread voting anyway. You wouldn't want to discourage someone from reading a submission if it is rated low or vice versa.
            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

*Decided to edit this post, as I agree with TerryE that it would be a good idea to save the discussions for after the voting ends.

There's always private messeges for getting a discussion going and not worrying about it having any influence on votes.
              Last edited by peteOcha; 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I love the idea of discussion of these stories. I think it would be great if all of us could workshop each other's tales. However I just got to thinking last night that maybe all of that should wait until after the voting is concluded. Reviews and criticism could influence the voting (for good or bad) based on what the voters read. Maybe, after the voting is done, each story thread could be opened for comments from the readers. I'm sure all of us would appreciate the input from our peers. And, hey, any of the pros from Cemetery Dance if they have the time and inclination. But it should definitely wait until after voting.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                  I love the idea of discussion of these stories. I think it would be great if all of us could workshop each other's tales. However I just got to thinking last night that maybe all of that should wait until after the voting is concluded. Reviews and criticism could influence the voting (for good or bad) based on what the voters read. Maybe, after the voting is done, each story thread could be opened for comments from the readers. I'm sure all of us would appreciate the input from our peers. And, hey, any of the pros from Cemetery Dance if they have the time and inclination. But it should definitely wait until after voting.
                  You know what, that's a really good point. A positive or negative review could influence voting. I didn't think too much of it before posting, just took the thread for what it was and decided it was time to do some discussing.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                    This is one of the reason's why I was refraining from commenting on any of the stories I've read till after the voting was over. I however was planning on archiving the submission stories away before the chapbook actually comes out though. That way there's a clean slate for the next contest we do, and if people make tweaks and redo parts of their story they can feel they can reuse them for another contest.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to discuss the stories here though, I was just refraining because I don't want the fact that I'm a CD employee to influence the voting. I will say this, I've only gotten to about 5 of the stories so far, and there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch. In fact 2 of them used some really great imagery.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                      *Decided to edit this post, as I agree with TerryE that it would be a good idea to save the discussions for after the voting ends.

There's always private messeges for getting a discussion going and not worrying about it having any influence on votes.
                      Thanks for the shout out, peteOcha. Glad I saw it before you edited it. Your comment really made my day.

Comment

This is one of the reason's why I was refraining from commenting on any of the stories I've read till after the voting was over. I however was planning on archiving the submission stories away before the chapbook actually comes out though. That way there's a clean slate for the next contest we do, and if people make tweaks and redo parts of their story they can feel they can reuse them for another contest.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to discuss the stories here though, I was just refraining because I don't want the fact that I'm a CD employee to influence the voting. I will say this, I've only gotten to about 5 of the stories so far, and there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch. In fact 2 of them used some really great imagery.
                        Dan, it would be great if you offered feedback. (After the contest ends of course.) That would be an awesome extra bonus for those of us who entered a story.

Comment

Total newbie question - how do I submit an entry?
                          I'll wait to day's end when the moon is high
                          and then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
                          amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
                          and then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore...

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                            Dan, it would be great if you offered feedback. (After the contest ends of course.) That would be an awesome extra bonus for those of us who entered a story.
                            My feedback wouldn't be much more than which one's I liked and didn't. I actually don't really know much about writing or any of that. So the feedback I could give really wouldn't be of much help.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                              Thanks for the shout out, peteOcha. Glad I saw it before you edited it. Your comment really made my day.
                              No problem, glad to have given you a reason to smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Z0mbiegrl View Post
                                Total newbie question - how do I submit an entry?
                                http://forum.cemeterydance.com/forum...st-Submissions

make a new thread with your story and submit. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X