No announcement yet.

Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I just wanna send a HUGE SHOUT-OUT of GIGANTIC THANKS to those who read my story, "American Inferno," and in particular, those who felt it deserving of their vote. It means more than I can convey here in transmuted ones and zeroes. Thanks gang. Also, a hardy WELL DONE to all who entered, and who put their stuff out there on the chopping block for a pack of strangers to judge. That takes massive courage. Best of luck and extra-large congratulations to those who make the finals!
    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Stories that appealed to me were often a little off kilter with their subject matter, or had a slightly different tempo. If the writing was sound they got my vote. One of them made me laugh so hard, despite the obvious horror content. So, aside from one or two, most of my picks are floating around the middle of their particular groups.

Some very cool stories in the mix, and well worth the read.
      http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Well, at the risk of alienating myself at a crucial time while attempting to establish connections within the writing community, I would like to get your opinions on what could be a delicate issue if someone interprets it the wrong way. But first, I want to ensure you all that over the years I have developed a rather thick skin, so my motivation here is solely based on the merits of the contest. Like many of you, I am my own harshest critic so there isn’t much that anyone could say that would personally offend me or my work. <sigh> Okay, enough of that.

I am just wondering how some of the recent posts differ from that of the previously discussed voting recruitment concern, especially since they were made publically while the contest is still in progress. Now please understand that I am not questioning anyone’s intent, because it is obvious that they were originally intended to support a colleague. But isn’t that the same motivation behind a recruited voter - to merely support a family member, friend, or colleague?

And please don't mistake this as me lobbying for voter recruitment, because I am definitely not.

So am I out in left field on this one? Wouldn't be the first time.

Hopefully this is all taken in the community spirit that it was intended, and I didn’t offend anyone. For we all share the same obstacles in our pursuits.
        Last edited by mstrom; 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
          I keep thinking a huge influx of people are going to swarm the site and vote for me LOL. Even then I don't think I could catch up though. Gratz to all of the leaders though. Some truly great stories in the mix. And for those still in the heat of the race, good luck to you in the home stretch here.
          I too would love a huge influx of voters, but I'm currently in 3rd, 20-something votes behind the leader in Group 2. I don't think that'll happen!!

I am absolutely thrilled to have the votes i do, looking at the calibre of the writing on offer here.

Best of luck to those stories currently leading, and as stated in this thread, every story has at least 1 vote. In that regard, we are all winners!!

Comment

Originally posted by mstrom View Post
            Well, at the risk of alienating myself at a crucial time while attempting to establish connections within the writing community, I would like to get your opinions on what could be a delicate issue if someone interprets it the wrong way. But first, I want to ensure you all that over the years I have developed a rather thick skin, so my motivation here is solely based on the merits of the contest. Like many of you, I am my own harshest critic so there isn’t much that anyone could say that would personally offend me or my work. <sigh> Okay, enough of that.

I am just wondering how some of the recent posts differ from that of the previously discussed voting recruitment concern, especially since they were made publically while the contest is still in progress. Now please understand that I am not questioning anyone’s intent, because it is obvious that they were originally intended to support a colleague. But isn’t that the same motivation behind a recruited voter - to merely support a family member, friend, or colleague?

And please don't mistake this as me lobbying for voter recruitment, because I am definitely not.

So am I out in left field on this one? Wouldn't be the first time.

Hopefully this is all taken in the community spirit that it was intended, and I didn’t offend anyone. For we all share the same obstacles in our pursuits.
            i believe as of yesterday there was some finality to the contest so they began speaking more openly about their entries and votes.
            It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by mstrom View Post
              I am just wondering how some of the recent posts differ from that of the previously discussed voting recruitment concern, especially since they were made publically while the contest is still in progress.
              Are you referring to people's comments on Kevin's story? Do you honestly feel that telling someone who clearly is not going to win that his story is good is equal to recruiting votes to stuff the ballots? Dude, really? I just don't see the comparison. Maybe I'm a bit thick. Sorry to offend.

MLD

Comment

well, mlouisdixon, the contest isn't over yet, so people saying that kevin's story was great, and implying that it maybe should have won? sure, i could see that influencing somebody who hasn't voted yet - but, like you said, it seems like this is over, mstrom's lead is like 20 votes, and the votes haven't moved much lately, so unless somebody has an angry horde waiting in the shadows to jump in eSnipe style to steal the race, most of the contests are done - ALTHOUGH there are some tight races, Group 2 was within two votes 38-36 last time i looked, and your group 10 MLD you were up 21-17 last time i checked, so i can see why mstrom is asking

dan, if there is some kind of last push, say one story getting 10 or 20 votes to win in the last hours, are you going to let that fly? just curious
                FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                  dan, if there is some kind of last push, say one story getting 10 or 20 votes to win in the last hours, are you going to let that fly? just curious
                  If they are legitimate votes it'll fly. If they aren't that'll be another story.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                    well, mlouisdixon, the contest isn't over yet, so people saying that kevin's story was great, and implying that it maybe should have won? sure, i could see that influencing somebody who hasn't voted yet - but, like you said, it seems like this is over, mstrom's lead is like 20 votes, and the votes haven't moved much lately, so unless somebody has an angry horde waiting in the shadows to jump in eSnipe style to steal the race, most of the contests are done - ALTHOUGH there are some tight races, Group 2 was within two votes 38-36 last time i looked, and your group 10 MLD you were up 21-17 last time i checked, so i can see why mstrom is asking

Yes, I'm sweating this final stretch. I'm happy about every single vote I got. As far as I know, these are people who've never read me before--maybe one or two might come to light--and that means I must be doing something right with my art. I did like Kevin's story and didn't see my comments having any promotional impact. But, you both are probably right and I should keep my comments to myself until the whole shebang is over with.

Now off to write something new.

MLD

Comment

Originally posted by mlouisdixon View Post
                      Dude, really?
                      Yeah I knew that this would be a delicate issue. So much so, that I almost backed off from posting it multiple times.

First let me mention that this has no bearing on Kevin, for he has shown nothing but class and it is an honor to have competed against someone so talented and gracious.

Perhaps I should give my reasoning so you all don't take me for some petty creep. I wanted to make similar posts myself. In fact one of them was for a story within my group that I was competing against. Yet since I am relatively new at this I wasn't sure how this would be interpreted, so I decided to refrain until the contest completed. Yet then there is the possibility that the author whose story I wanted to comment on may drop off from participating in the forums and never receive it. Sure I could send a PM, but offering public encouragement carries more weight. Since there seemed to be this fine line there, I simply wanted to get your experienced thoughts on the proper etiquette.

Comment

Since the first round is almost over, it's probably fine to comment on other's stories. It was never really against the rules or anything, more of just an understanding. While we're talking about this, let me ask everyone's opinions. Should I wait till after the contest is completely over to open the submissions section back up for posting comments on others stories or should I move everyone's entries who did not make it past the first round over to the "Sharing Your Work" section for commenting. I know a lot of people have been looking for feedback, and most have refrained due to the continuation of the contest.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          Should I wait till after the contest is completely over to open the submissions section back up for posting comments on others stories or should I move everyone's entries who did not make it past the first round over to the "Sharing Your Work" section for commenting. I know a lot of people have been looking for feedback, and most have refrained due to the continuation of the contest.
                          Dan,

I think that moving people's stories over the the Sharing Your Work section would work great. The only stickler would be if people don't want their story reviewed.

MLD

Comment

I'd say either works,but I'd wait until it's over. You know, with what Yogi Berra used to say and all.

I would think it best to only offer critiques on any thread where criticism is asked for by the author. Some people don't dig other opinions or may not be ready for it. Who knows, but I'd hate to detail out issues with a story when it was unwanted, and then have the author quit writing because of it. Not saying that would happen, but you catch my drift.

I would think general comments are fine all around though.
                            Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Ok, I think what I will do is move them over to the sharing work section, give users the permission to delete their threads in that particular section. This way if anyone doesn't want to share their work, or wants to take it down then they can just remove it.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                Ok, I think what I will do is move them over to the sharing work section, give users the permission to delete their threads in that particular section. This way if anyone doesn't want to share their work, or wants to take it down then they can just remove it.
                                Good idea.
                                Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Working...
                                X