No announcement yet.

Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, writing is the easy (and fun) part. Editing, submitting and marketing are the hardest things for me to do.

AJ

Comment

More power to you on that. King describes in his book "On Writing" about getting the idea for a book and writing the whole thing out longhand in one night. I forget the story, but it was an amazing thing to me. My arms would fall off LOL. By the way, an awesome book if you haven't read. It takes a unique approach to the craft of writing. I need to go back and re-read it.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Hey Dan! I have a question-some of these groups appear to be pretty close. What are you going to do in the case that there is a two or three-way tie? Just wondering if you have pondered this? And on a side note, I did take the time to read each entry, though I will admit that some I just skimmed if they didn't grab me, and I voted on each group. I have also posted the link to this contest so that people can come and read some FREE horror and support the group. I have NOT asked anyone to vote for me. One purpose of this sort of contest is to attract forum members, as a horror writer, I know a few people who really like to read horror. I have encouraged them to check this thing out. The more people that read each of our stories, the better the odds of being recognized as a writer and building a fanbase.
        http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
          Why do I write? I really don't know. I guess I have that burning desire to contribute in some way to the large body of literary canon. I'm a literature major, so I'm exposed to a great deal of writing and it makes me want to do it too. I'm not even longing for bestsellerdom, though it would be a dream. I just need to say I published something in the speculative fiction genre before I die. I think it would be a sort of validation, like a fulfilled calling, as trite as that may sound. But to create my own worlds and characters and creatures, my own mythos...well, that holds a strange allure and despite my constant fretting over the quality of my stories, I can always count on eventually being drawn back to finish what I keep starting.
          Nothing about this is trite. Familiar, yes, but that's because a lot of writers feel that way. Nothing wrong with that. And you SHOULD fret over the quality of your fiction. That's what'll drive you to make it better. Some random author I can't remember once said "Anybody who likes what they're writing isn't writing anything worth reading." While I don't think that's entirely true, there's a kernel of truth in it. Doubt is good. Not to the point where it makes you afraid to submit, just to the point of wanting to make your work better.
          www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I think social media is only as good as you make it, just like anything else. You get out of it what you put into it and I'm not the best person in using social media. I was against Facebook for a while when it came out and MySpace before that, but I've found that having my own blog, FB page and a couple of other things has benefitted me a LOT.

I'm a short story writer and i have no desires to write a novel and the social media has really helped me get certain things out there and meet some really great folks in the process who have pointed me in different directions that have been helpful. And, in a way, this forum that we are on right now is a form of social media.

Keep writing, that's what matters.

AJ

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
              Clearly even the participants aren't going to read every entry.(
              I plan to make an effort to. Look forward to reading yours, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                More power to you on that. King describes in his book "On Writing" about getting the idea for a book and writing the whole thing out longhand in one night. I forget the story, but it was an amazing thing to me. My arms would fall off LOL. By the way, an awesome book if you haven't read. It takes a unique approach to the craft of writing. I need to go back and re-read it.
                It was Dreamcatcher. Finished On Writing a couple months ago.

Comment

Thanks! Great read.

Comment

Ugh, perfect time for a headache. I've only gotten through two groups and already my eyes are starting to cross! But I've already found three new writers to follow and after I drag myself out of bed I hope to find many more.
                    I eat dead people.
                    www.mekenzielarsen.com | @weirdosayswhat

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
                      Clearly even the participants aren't going to read every entry. Which is a bummer.
                      I read yours feel free to quiz me! I did need to take a second peek at the stories before I voted, to remind myself which was which-but I read them all! Surely I deserve a cupcake right?
                      http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                        It was Dreamcatcher. Finished On Writing a couple months ago.
                        Whoa, whoa ... Dreamcatcher was written in one night? I knew that he did it longhand, and that he did so with a Waterman pen, but in one night? My hands clench at the thought.
                        I eat dead people.
                        www.mekenzielarsen.com | @weirdosayswhat

Comment

Hey Dan, what are your thoughts on creating a community forum here where we can critique each other's stuff on a regular basis? Granted it'd need to be organized, and probably limited so we didn't get overloaded with material, but it seems like it'd be worth a shot. I'd be down. I needs me a writer's group. Anybody wanna chime in?
                          www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                            I read yours feel free to quiz me! I did need to take a second peek at the stories before I voted, to remind myself which was which-but I read them all! Surely I deserve a cupcake right?
                            Well, thank you! =)

I'm not pointing any fingers here; not singling anyone out or anything. Some of us will read them all. I have, and I've voted for my favorites in those groups. Or at least I read enough of each to know whether or not it had any chance of getting my vote. And I skipped all the stories from those authors who couldn't be bothered to add paragraph breaks. If they don't care about how it looks on the forum, it doesn't deserve any votes. So I guess I'm a liar. I didn't didn't read all of them. Haha. But my votes were fair.

Either way, if someone is voting without reading all the stories, then that vote is kinda meaningless, right? You could argue someone only needs to read the 10 stories within that particular group, which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with. But this is a contest between over 100 stories, not a contest between groups of 10, you know.

The bottom line is this: Winning this contest will do you (i.e. any writer here) no favors if you do not truly deserve to win. I hope a good story wins, one that is least somewhat deserving of being published. I don't think the best story will win, though. This contest is too flawed for that to happen.

But Cemetery Dance are good people, so hopefully the next contest, if there is one, will be better. I know our first few contests over at Shock Totem didn't go over so well. There was a four-way tie for First Place in our first contest. Haha.
                            Last edited by Kenwood; 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM.
                            "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                              Hey Dan, what are your thoughts on creating a community forum here where we can critique each other's stuff on a regular basis?
                              That sounds like a good idea, and a good way to network with other writers, which is definitely something I could use as well
                              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                                King describes in his book "On Writing" about getting the idea for a book and writing the whole thing out longhand in one night. I forget the story, but it was an amazing thing to me. My arms would fall off LOL.
                                I also prefer writing longhand for first drafts (but typing second drafts and beyond--easier to edit). I just finished a horror novel of 75,000 words (by hand) and managed to give myself carpal tunnel syndrome. I still say it's worth it--I think much better feeling the story flowing through my pen.
                                http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

Working...
                                X